OT: The Booze Thread

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I want it just for the packaging (cue my viking ancestry)!
Highland park is closer to Oslo than it is to Glasgow. Wonderful distillery. Never had the Thor but their standard expressions are phenomenal. Highland Park 12 year is always my number one recommendation to folks trying to get into good whisky. It's the best entry into what single malts are all about in my opinion. If your only experience with Scotch is Johnnie Walker Red and Dewar's White and you don't like HP12, you're probably not going to be a single malt guy. I buy HP12 as a gift most often.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The highlight of my scotch drinking has probably been Glenfiddich 12. Nice enough drink.

Last night I had a really nice, easy drinking kristallweizen (filtered wheat beer) from Big Rock Brewery. Paired very well with a spicy Indian dinner.

rt

May 13, 2004
Glenfiddich 12 IS a nice enough drink. I agree. Scotch snobs will shit on it but they're too up their own ass to admit that sometimes a nice sweet and uncomplicated little speysider is not a bad thing. Straight home from a long day of work where you aren't unwound enough for a challenging, contemplative whisky, I can think of few better than the admittedly brainless but undeniably delicious Glenfiddich 12.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
A couple of pages back, someone mentioned Ciders. One of the best I have tasted recently is the Stella Artois Cidre. Second best is Wyndridge Crafty Cider (probably not available out west). I can't say I'm too keen on any of the Angry Orchards apple varieties (I stick with apple hard ciders).

I also try occasional local beers (in and around PA) and there's a distributor nearby that gets a good variety of beers from around the country and imports.

HowlofRevel

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Ommegang Hennepin Saison
Founders Dirty Bastard - Wee Heavy
Founders Breakfast Stout
Odell Friek - Wild Ale
Alaskan Smoked Porter
Avery Old Jubilation - Winter Warmer

High West Rendezvous Rye. Four Roses Single Barrel. Also like Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch. Dark Batch is nice to drink neat and at its price point I have no problem using it in a Boulevardier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
A couple of pages back, someone mentioned Ciders. One of the best I have tasted recently is the Stella Artois Cidre. Second best is Wyndridge Crafty Cider (probably not available out west). I can't say I'm too keen on any of the Angry Orchards apple varieties (I stick with apple hard ciders).

I also try occasional local beers (in and around PA) and there's a distributor nearby that gets a good variety of beers from around the country and imports.
Ace and woodchuck are my two favorites.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
Four parts ginger beer to one part Liquer 43. Add a splash of lime. Just like drinking ginger ale.

Another favorite is Diet Coke and Vanilla flavored vodka.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I bought some cognac to see what it tasted like. Smooth, nothing at all special. Maybe I should have spent more than $40.

rt

May 13, 2004
Jameson tastes pretty good to me. I like the Jameson Black Barrel a lot. But even the standard screw top $15 fifth is not too bad, honestly. I wouldn't shoot it. I'd just sip it. Have you ever tried it that way?

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I like my IPAs. For reasons. When it comes to beer. Other than that, locally, Kiltlifter is a favorite I see everywhere. The Yotes pale ale fron San Tan isn't bad actually. Just got some from Bevmo. It was pretty expensive but I'm willing to pay here. Pale Ales are unfortunately usually more Pale than Ale.

Lately I've been sticking to the effectiveness of cheap vodka. Versus filling, more costly, so-called cheap beer.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I like my IPAs. For reasons. When it comes to beer. Other than that, locally, Kiltlifter is a favorite I see everywhere. The Yotes pale ale fron San Tan isn't bad actually. Just got some from Bevmo. It was pretty expensive but I'm willing to pay here. Pale Ales are unfortunately usually more Pale than Ale.

Lately I've been sticking to the effectiveness of cheap vodka. Versus filling, more costly, so-called cheap beer.

The Yotes Pale Ale is a bit skunky for my taste. At least what they served at the arena last season. One of those was enough. Not a fan of IPA.

I do like Kiltlifter.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Highland park is closer to Oslo than it is to Glasgow. Wonderful distillery. Never had the Thor but their standard expressions are phenomenal. Highland Park 12 year is always my number one recommendation to folks trying to get into good whisky. It's the best entry into what single malts are all about in my opinion. If your only experience with Scotch is Johnnie Walker Red and Dewar's White and you don't like HP12, you're probably not going to be a single malt guy. I buy HP12 as a gift most often.

Looks like another one I will have to try. HP12 sounds interesting indeed!

rt

May 13, 2004
Pretty sure the Yotes Pale Ale is just the Devil's Ale but died red (with hibiscus flowers). Which is fine by me as I love the Devil's Ale. Plus $1 from every pack goes to Coyotes charities.

Reactions: CC96

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm in the mood for a drink with tons of sugar. A cocktail with ice cream sounds good right now.

Summer-Ice-Cream-Party-292x197.jpg

00e419531bfdbb99eb7436e4d7e1838b--chocolate-ice-cream-chocolate-vodka.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ALA YotesPhan

Jul 2, 2002
Nothern Alabama
Visit site
Glenfiddich 12 IS a nice enough drink. I agree. Scotch snobs will **** on it but they're too up their own ass to admit that sometimes a nice sweet and uncomplicated little speysider is not a bad thing. Straight home from a long day of work where you aren't unwound enough for a challenging, contemplative whisky, I can think of few better than the admittedly brainless but undeniably delicious Glenfiddich 12.

Added Glenfiddich 15 to my list last night, very nice by the end of the glass[/QUOTE]

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I like beer fine. What I really love is Whisk(e)y of all kinds. I like cheap whisk(e)y and expensive whisk(e)y. I like it from Scotland, Ireland, America and Japan. I like it smoky, sweet, spicy and everything in between. Though I'm not too choosy about what's in the glass, I do require it to be neat and slightly cool.

Some of my overall favorites:
1. Hakushu 12yr (Japan)
2. Oban 14yr (Scotland)
3. Lagavulin 16yr (Scotland)
4. Redbreast 12yr (Ireland)
5. Four Roses Single Barrel (Kentucky)

Some of the best bargain bin values:
1. Teacher's Highland Cream (Scotland)
2. George Dickel No. 12 (Tennessee)
3. Suntory Toki (Japan)***
4. Power's Gold Label (Ireland)
5. Rittenhouse Rye (Kentucky)
6. Monkey Shoulder (Scotland)
***price recently jacked way up most places

My hakushu 12 is almost empty, that was so good. Snagged it for $80, very good value IMO. But during my trip to Japan last spring I got to taste the hibiki 17... Omg, that is the bomb. That one and Macallan 18 are my favorites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->