The Bobby Orr Trophy (Why not?)

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
In your opinion. Which probably differs from the majority
he most certainly not been the best most years.

this is actually WHY some want to make this trophy. it would hopefully stop some from confusing points with best all round play.

Reactions: Master P

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Please don't name it the Bobby Orr Trophy. Don't need to taint his name with that shit. The Bobby Orr Trophy should replae the Norris.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Lets get this out there: Almost no one watches enough hockey to judge these awards based on the subtleties of each player's game. There are 1271 games each season, how many voters watching even 200 of them? That's more than a game every day for the duration of the season. I'd wager most watch a lot less. Plus these people have jobs to do that usually has f*** all to do with the other 30 teams. This means the Norris. like all the other trophies, will remain mostly stat driven.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This is news to just about everyone reading it
Did you see him play? He was great at what he did and he wasn't bad defensively. He may have been the best 2 way dman in the late 60's but Denis Potvin and Larry Robinson took over in the 70s. Have you ever heard of a big physical shutdown dman score over 100 points. Well Potvin did just that.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Did you see him play? He was great at what he did and he wasn't bad defensively. He may have been the best 2 way dman in the late 60's but Denis Potvin and Larry Robinson took over in the 70s. Have you ever heard of a big physical shutdown dman score over 100 points. Well Potvin did just that.

Denis Potvin won his first Norris trophy the year Orr played 10 games. The year before that, Bobby Orr won the Norris trophy handily, with Potvin coming in second.

Reactions: Mork

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I never entertained the thought that I was the first person to come up with the idea. It's just something that doesn't currently exist, yet it should. I'm only bringing it up.

i didn't mean to imply that at all, i was just moreso saying it has come up over the decades in the past. the nhl doesn't seem interested. :)

Honestly, I don’t really see a point. I think it would make voters feel obligated to vote for different players for the Norris. Karlsson has clearly been the best offensive defenseman most years, but hasn’t he also been the best defenseman period?

Is the aim to never let the best offensive defenseman be considered the best all-around defenseman or to hand out 2 trophies to one guy?

not in the slightest, he gets points which is sexy to many but i don't think many real hockey experts would pretend he's actually been the best dman period.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Unless the Norris changes to be the best defensive defenseman this is a bad idea.

Either people would start to undervalue points when they vote for the Norris because “that guy already won a trophy specifically designed for that” or the player would often just win 2 trophies instead of 1 which seems stupid.

I suspect it would be the former. Count me out.

The real issue is the voters are dummies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Orr wasn't the best 2way defence man in the league.
This is the most stupid comment I've read in a long, long time.
I have watched Bobby Orr play a lot, and IMO he certainly was the best two-way defenceman of his time, and probably of all time.

He changed the way defencemen play the game. He created the template for the rushing defenceman.

He was such a fast and strong skater that he had to lead the rush from the defence position because none of his teammates could have kept up with him had he started plays as a forward.

He could skate faster backwards that almost every other player could skate forwards. He could play an entire shift without having to turn around to catch up with a forward. He could ride oncoming puck carriers into the boards without turning around to face his own net. He was the best defender in his own end, bar none.

He was so strong on his skates that he could not be knocked off the puck.

He was a punishing body checker, both into the boards and in open ice. His open-ice hip checks were legendary.

He read the play so well that he was rarely out of position, and when he gained the puck he turned onto the rush better than anyone else.

And you should think that Orr was not the best two-way defenceman in the NHL?

He was the best two-way defenceman in our solar system -- ever.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I always thought the highest scoring d should be the Orr.

And the assists the Gretzky.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
I hope people in favor if this would be fine with the Orr trophy and the Norris trophy usually going to the same guy, like the Art Ross and the Hart.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hope people in favor if this would be fine with the Orr trophy and the Norris trophy usually going to the same guy, like the Art Ross and the Hart.

I'm not sure that's the case. I think looking back over the last few years those trophies could be VERY easily split. Maybe some years not so much.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Yes, I'm partial to offensive dmen so I've been for such a trophy for a long time. Dmen are short changed in trophies.

Forwards are half a full team and they have many trophies to win.
Goalies are a sixth of a full on ice team and they have two major trophies - Vezina & Jennings.
The Hart usually goes to a forward or goalie.
Dmen, a third of the players have one, the Norris :huh:

And no, I don't think one dman will usually get both the Norris and, say Orr trophy. In a two major awards for dmen NHL I doubt Karlsson would ever have won the Norris. I believe Mike Green would have an "Orr" but never, and probably shouldn't have, ever won a Norris. In his offensive peak was he ever Norris runner up?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It would serve more purpose than the Lady Byng and Messier leadership award that's for sure.

Reactions: Samzilla

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad