The better goalie prospect

Jagrock

May 24, 2002
Visit site
Who is the best goalie prospect out of these three? I hoping to hear insight from those who may have seen them play and how they stack up against each other.

J. Bernier - LA

C. Price - Mtl

Pavelec - Atl

I'm out West and have only see Price live.

Thanks

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I have only seen Price live. I've seen them on TV 3-8 times each. Personally, I'm kind of partial to Pavelec myself, although I don't pretend that my crystal ball with regards to goaltending prospects is anything but muddy. You could probably adopt a policy of taking the exact opposite of anything I say about goalies and come out better off more often than not.

I guess I also let a misleading self-deception sneak into my evaluation in that Pavelec is just the one who seems flashiest to me, and plays above my expectations at times, whereas Bernier and Price have had such high profiles for so long, and yet in my relatively few observations of them, they've had some mediocre showings, despite all the technical praise they get from the real scouting communities. I guess if you're projecting purely on observing physical skill and technique, that helps make up the gap. Personally, I sometimes get carried away with the intangible "wow factor", and for whatever reason I've just randomly happened to be wow'ed more by Pavelec than the other two. (Not to say that the other two haven't have had plenty of wow moments themselves, just that I didn't happen to see them). But then, sometimes Martin Brodeur fails to "wow" me too... yet at the end of the day, look at his accomplishments! You'd have absolutely no trouble finding tons of "wow" games in his track record too, even if a random sampling left you instead seeing a few games that made you wonder what all the fuss was about. Price and Bernier give me cautious reminders of that trap sometimes too.

FWIW. :dunno:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
i've seen Pavelec and Bernier a number of times each, Pavelec can be absolutely unbeatable but i think i like Bernier more b/c he is so technically sound yet his glove and feet are as quick as anyones.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Pavelec for me, I have seen for over a year how dominant Pavelec actually is. He was overweight in Atlanta camp and has got that under order and is rounding into form. Pavelec, when on, is a better goaltender then Fleury on at that age.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
Pavelec for me, I have seen for over a year how dominant Pavelec actually is. He was overweight in Atlanta camp and has got that under order and is rounding into form. Pavelec, when on, is a better goaltender then Fleury on at that age.

that said, isn't Bernier the youngest of the three?

...and then wouldn't a more suitable comparison for Jonathan be someone like Leland Irving instead?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
that said, isn't Bernier the youngest of the three?

...and then wouldn't a more suitable comparison for Jonathan be someone like Leland Irving instead?
Why do they have to be the same age...Pavelec at the same age as Bernier right now would destroy him in nets. Just look at Pavelec's stats from last year on a poor Cape Breton team.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
Why do they have to be the same age...Pavelec at the same age as Bernier right now would destroy him in nets. Just look at Pavelec's stats from last year on a poor Cape Breton team.

that's a little much for kids, dontchya think? especially when you take into consideration the average time it takes for ANY goaltender to develop regardless of where they have essentially matriculated from?

all of these kids are a likely 2 to 3 years away from any really substantive professional action, and a LOT can happen to a person within that timeframe.

Last edited:

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
Price without hesitation .. he was totally dominate at Habs camp (really better than Halak , Danis , Aebischer and Huet .)
I've seen Bernier and he have half of Price talent .

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
My question is, who are the top goalie prospects for the next draft, and where will they be selected? I saw that Trevor Cann is listed as #1, but how good is he, and is he a first rounder? Also, are there any Euro goalies to look for in the next draft as well?

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières

imagine if it was price ???? the hfboard would have explode .....

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
imagine if it was price ???? the hfboard would have explode .....
Pavelec was a steal in the 2nd round where Price was a reach at number 5. Thats the diference.

If Price was the best goaltender in the past two camps he would be on the team, I don't care what you say. If a goaltender is flat out better then the others the team will almost allways take that player. Funny how an "NHL" caliber goaltender puts up average stats in the WHL.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Pavelec was a steal in the 2nd round where Price was a reach at number 5. Thats the diference.

If Price was the best goaltender in the past two camps he would be on the team, I don't care what you say. If a goaltender is flat out better then the others the team will almost allways take that player. Funny how an "NHL" caliber goaltender puts up average stats in the WHL.

No because habs never rush her prospect .... Latendresse is an exception , because he is hype by media ... and Price is a four years plan (2 whl year , 1 ahl year then in nhl)

think what you want but .... i know what i saw ....

Carey didnt play for an all star team ... his team have no defense

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Price is certainly the best pro prospect out of the 3.

However Bernier and Pavelec have a tremendous amount of raw talent. Pavelec especially. The one occasion where I saw him play live, he completely dominated.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I like Bernier the most and Pavelec. Price is good but I don't think he will end up the better pro than Bernier.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006

I'm not that big on Price. Still, it's true that he was the best goalie in camp, especially this year; but to be fair, it was mostly cause the others stunk up the place :biglaugh: Theo last year was in a funk from the get-go, which he has yet to extricate himself from. Huet and Abby were terrible during pre-season, while Price looked big and steady.

For what it's worth, best goalies in camp don't always get the job, especially when they are of junior age and you got big ticket guys ahead of them in the depth chart. On the other hand, does a couple of good weeks in a pro camp makes you the greatest prospects of all ? I doubt it. So chill out, you are both equally wrong :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad