The best U18 Soviet/Russian player ever

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, it was Pavel Bure. I don't remember, Makarov, Krutov and even Fetisov were hyped as much at that age, as Bure was. Samsonov was hyped pretty much as well, but not as much as Pavel. Tarasenko was good, but I think, his hype was a level beneath, than even Samsonov's.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Makarov and Fetisov are the same age, both were major stars as teenagers, both made the senior national team at a young age. Krutov and Kasatonov followed, I think Krutov was Best Forward two years in a row at the U20 World Juniors. There were other big prospects in the next several years, including Kamensky and Tatarinov, but Mogilny and Fedorov were the next huge stars, both born in 1969. Mogilny was bigger star than Fedorov as teenagers, but Fedorov was still a big star, it's just Mogilny was at another level. Bure was born in '71, he was about the same as Mogilny as a prospect. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin were the next superstar prospects.

I think Makarov, Fetisov, Krutov, Mogilny, Bure, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin were about the biggest since the mid '70s.

All-time PPG leaders for Russia at U20:
1. Krutov
2. Bure
3. Makarov
4. Mogilny

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Makarov and Fetisov are the same age, both were major stars as teenagers, both made the senior national team at a young age. Krutov and Kasatonov followed, I think Krutov was Best Forward two years in a row at the U20 World Juniors. There were other big prospects in the next several years, including Kamensky and Tatarinov, but Mogilny and Fedorov were the next huge stars, both born in 1969. Mogilny was bigger star than Fedorov as teenagers, but Fedorov was still a big star, it's just Mogilny was at another level. Bure was born in '71, he was about the same as Mogilny as a prospect. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin were the next superstar prospects.

I think Makarov, Fetisov, Krutov, Mogilny, Bure, Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin were about the biggest since the mid '70s.

All-time PPG leaders for Russia at U20:
1. Krutov
2. Bure
3. Makarov
4. Mogilny

Yeah, but I mean U18. Bure played in the Soviest Highest League at age 16. And he played on CSKA, which had a lot of stars. At age 20 Fetisov became the best Soviet defenseman, but he wasn't as hyped as Bure being 16-17 yo.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Yeah, but I mean U18. Bure played in the Soviest Highest League at age 16. And he played on CSKA, which had a lot of stars. At age 20 Fetisov became the best Soviet defenseman, but he wasn't as hyped as Bure being 16-17 yo.

I'm not sure who was the best at age 16 or 17, but Mogilny, Bure, Slava Kozlov, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and Malkin were all very well-known at those ages.

Slava Kozlov played in the top league at age 15, which was the youngest age ever. (It may have been surpassed since then).

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Got to be Bure. How hyped was Ovie? Surprised to see his name not mentioned here.

He made his name in 2002 U18 WCH. 14 goals in only 8 games was something special. As a 16 years old. Played already in Russia senior league.
His stas were not so great. But internationally, he was a stud. Here was the start of Oveckin hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad