The Best Three First Choice in a Row in a Draft by a Team (!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle*

Minnesota got better in a hurry after a three year stretch of picking Brad Maxwell, Bobby Smith and Craig Hartsburgh. Mind you picking up Steve payne and Neal Broten with second round picks and signing Ciccarelli as a free agent during that period didn't hurt either. (the other second rounder? Dave Semenko).

Here's a good one to research - which team had the best decade of first round drafting? In other words, best ten year period of first round success.
The Islanders would merit much consideration for their picks from 1973 to 1982. During that period the Isles nabbed Potvin, Gillies, Trottier, Bossy, Brent Sutter, Duane Sutter, Paul Boutilier, Pat Price, Steve Tambellini, Pat Flatley, and Alex McKendry. I chose Flatley over former first overall pick Billy Harris (barely), otherwise the best era would have been 1972-81. Four hall of famers.

Another obvious contender, and the best all-time IMO due to amazing depth and star quality, would be the Habs from 1971 to 1980. Thanks to Sam Pollock's wheeling and dealing the Habs had at least one top ten pick in every draft from 1969 to 1975. In fact, the Habs had 13 top ten picks in that seven-year span despite finishing on top more often than not.

During the 1970s the Habs picked more first rounders than any team will ever pick in a ten-year span, but between 1971 and 1980 the first rounders (I'll have to look a couple up, but I remember most) were Lafleur, Chuck Arnason (Tyler's dad), Murray Wilson, Shutt, Mondou, Tremblay, Risebrough, Robin Sadler, Cam Connor, Gord McTavish, Peter Lee, Rod Schutt, Bruce Baker, Napier, Van Boxmeer, Dave Gardner, Rick Chartraw, Michel Larocque, Bob Gainey, Norm Dupont, Dave Hunter, Danny Geoffrion (Boomer's bust son) and Doug Wickenheiser. Believe it or not, that included a season in which the Habs didn't have a first round (1979), not coincidentally the year Pollock retired. 23 premium picks in 9 drafts.

Anyway, with that many first rounders there were bound to be some gems and some busts, but the Habs could have built a winning expansion team with those selections alone without a doubt, especially if you throw in a few of their second rounders to shore up their defence like Robinson, Langway, Engblom, Natress and Gingras. Hard to believe that poor head office decisions could have ever destroyed that sort of foundation, but it just goes to show that hiring the wrong general managers like Grundman and Houle can quickly destroy any solid core.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'd have to take the Islanders just over the Habs, thats tight though.

Most of what Calgary has is just atrocious, if you ignore 1982 since the Flames had no first, you get....
1981 - Al MacInnis
1983 - Dan Quinn
1984 - Gary Roberts
Not quite the idea though.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
jeffbrown said:
Canucks:

1991 Stojanov
1992 Polasek
1993 Mike Wilson

Oh wait, that's the crappiest 3 years ever!
Stojanov was a wonderful pick, considering who Vancouver traded him for. :)

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
How did you miss Larry Robinson, picked alongside Guy Lafleur, Chuck Arnason and Murray Wilson in 1971?

cxreg

Nov 13, 2003
Seattle
Certainly not contenders for all time but still damn good:

Flyers 98 - 00: Gagne, Ouellet, Williams
Flyers 01-03: Woywitka, Pitkanen, Carter

half of those are in other organizations now though :cry:

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
EagleBelfour said:
Ok, I know my title may be confusing a lot!! :biglaugh:

I'll explain: in 2000, Atlanta take as their first choice (2nd overall) Dany Heatley
in 2001, they take as their first choice (1st overall) Ilya Kovalchuk
in 2002, they take as their first choice (2nd overall) Kari Lehtonen
(in 2003, they take as their first choice (8th overall) Braydon Coburn even if this is less impressive :) -Phaneuf was pick 9th! What a steal!-IMO)

WOW, I mean between 2000 and 2002, The three first choice of Atlanta are so blazing good! Unbelievable! I know they choose 1st and 2nd overall, but does any time in the history of hockey, three first pick in a row by a team were this good? :confused:

Best reason why Atlanta better not get Crosby.

And going through Hawks 1st round draft history is depressing. We've never even had 2 good NHLers picked in 1st rounds back to back. Our last 4 years might end up being the best with Ruutu - Babchuk - Seabrook - Barker, but that isnt even a sure thing.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
GoSSCHgo said:
How did you miss Larry Robinson, picked alongside Guy Lafleur, Chuck Arnason and Murray Wilson in 1971?

Because that wasn't the idea of the thread. It was the first round selections of a team in three consecutive years that the thread starter was after...

scout46

Jun 2, 2002
Calgary
Leafs
1992 - Brandon Convery (8)
1993 - Kenny Jonsson (12), Landon Wilson (19)
1994 - Eric Fichaud (16)
1995 - Jeff Ware (15)
1996 - no 1st round pick
1997 - no 1st round pick
1998 - Nik Antropov (10)
1999 - Luca Cereda (24)
2000 - Brad Boyes (24)

Sorry guys, I know you were only looking for 3 years but I'm a Leaf fan and just had to get this 9 year period in. I'm so proud. :clap:

Oilers1*

scout46 said:
Leafs
1992 - Brandon Convery (8)
1993 - Kenny Jonsson (12), Landon Wilson (19)
1994 - Eric Fichaud (16)
1995 - Jeff Ware (15)
1996 - no 1st round pick
1997 - no 1st round pick
1998 - Nik Antropov (10)
1999 - Luca Cereda (24)
2000 - Brad Boyes (24)

Sorry guys, I know you were only looking for 3 years but I'm a Leaf fan and just had to get this 9 year period in. I'm so proud. :clap:

Ahem:

1984- Selmar Odelein (21)
1985- Scott Metcalfe (20)
1986- Kim Issel (21)
1987- Peter Soberlak (21)
1988- Francois Leroux (19)
1989- Jason Soules (15)
1990- Scott Allison (17)
1991- Tyler Wright (12) and Martin Rucinsky (20)
1992- Joe Hulbig (13)

Check and mate, my friend.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
jeffbrown said:
Canucks:

1991 Stojanov
1992 Polasek
1993 Mike Wilson

Oh wait, that's the crappiest 3 years ever!
No way, dude.

Islanders:

1984: Duncan MacPherson - #20
1985: Brad Dalgarno - #6
1986: Tom Fitzgerald - #17
1987: Dean Chynoweth - #13
1988: Kevin Chevaldayoff - #16
1989: Dave Chyzowski - #2
1990: Scott Scissons - #6

While the Nucks' "big three" were equally terrible, the Isles invested higher picks in their spectacular run of crap players.

It was actually really hard to choose the Isles' three worst consecutive draft years. Any three years up there is arguably the worst, though '88 - '90 were the highest picks wasted - that's gotta be the worst prolonged stretch of drafting in NHL history (though maybe Oilers fans can outdo me here). Brad Dalgarno...uuurrrgh.

edit: Ah, I see the Oilers have already thrown down the gauntlet. Well, I submit that 1991 was a perfectly respectable drafting year for the Oil - Wright and Rucinsky were both at least regular NHLers for a good number of years (I mean, Scott Lachance at #4 overall for the Isles in '91 sucked, too, but at least he was a starter) - meaning that Edmonton and New York's respective terrible drafting runs are identical: '84 - '90.

Which was worse? Good god, it's hard to say. I think the Isles get a slight nod, though, for having three top-six picks in that span, as opposed to the Oil who, mercifully, never wasted anything higher than a 15th overall pick, and were generally down around pick #20 during those golden years. Of course, the Isles also "boast" the only NHL regular in the argument - crappy long-time 4th liner Tom Fitzgerald, so it's really hard to say which team was worse.

Last edited:

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Sturminator said:
No way, dude.

Islanders:

1984: Duncan MacPherson - #20
1985: Brad Dalgarno - #6
1986: Tom Fitzgerald - #17
1987: Dean Chynoweth - #13
1988: Kevin Chevaldayoff - #16
1989: Dave Chyzowski - #2
1990: Scott Scissons - #6

While the Nucks' "big three" were equally terrible, the Isles invested higher picks in their spectacular run of crap players.

It was actually really hard to choose the Isles' three worst consecutive draft years. Any three years up there is arguably the worst, though '88 - '90 were the highest picks wasted - that's gotta be the worst prolonged stretch of drafting in NHL history (though maybe Oilers fans can outdo me here). Brad Dalgarno...uuurrrgh.

edit: Ah, I see the Oilers have already thrown down the gauntlet. Well, I submit that 1991 was a perfectly respectable drafting year for the Oil - Wright and Rucinsky were both at least regular NHLers for a good number of years (I mean, Scott Lachance at #4 overall for the Isles in '91 sucked, too, but at least he was a starter) - meaning that Edmonton and New York's respective terrible drafting runs are identical: '84 - '90.

Which was worse? Good god, it's hard to say. I think the Isles get a slight nod, though, for having three top-six picks in that span, as opposed to the Oil who, mercifully, never wasted anything higher than a 15th overall pick, and were generally down around pick #20 during those golden years. Of course, the Isles also "boast" the only NHL regular in the argument - crappy long-time 4th liner Tom Fitzgerald, so it's really hard to say which team was worse.

In their defense, 2 of those 7 picks had nothing to do with Islanders scouting. MacPherson disappeared (died) and Scissons had a career ending injury before even getting a decent shot in the show...

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Hyped said:
In their defense, 2 of those 7 picks had nothing to do with Islanders scouting. MacPherson disappeared (died) and Scissons had a career ending injury before even getting a decent shot in the show...
Everything you say is true. Sadly my old post "The Curse of Duncan MacPherson" (written just after his body was recovered frozen on some European ski slope) was lost in the great HF purge.

Brad Dalgarno...uuuurgh.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Sturminator said:
Everything you say is true. Sadly my old post "The Curse of Duncan MacPherson" (written just after his body was recovered frozen on some European ski slope) was lost in the great HF purge.

Brad Dalgarno...uuuurgh.

Both Saskatoon Blades too. Hmmmm, has any highly touted prospect ever come out of Sasktoon and not been cursed with injuries? Bernie Federko I guess...

turnbuckle*

GoSSCHgo said:

Larry was a second round pick. Read the whole post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad