The Best QF Matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radulov for Czar*

Noutaja said:
I believe some neutral observer would find Canada-Russia as the best, altough all three big hockey power matcups will propably be good games. Switzerland-Sweden will be boring, as Swiss have no chance in hell.

Just like the Swiss vs. Canada and the Czechs right? :shakehead

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The_Eck said:
Remeber Belaurs??

Even more reason why Sweden will smoke them. They're not going to let that happen to themselves again.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Hmm. One might argue that if you can upset CZE and CAN then upsetting SWE doesn't sound as difficult as it used to...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Canada and Czech Republic virtually slept when playing Switzerland. If you think Sweden played bad tonight, guess what Switzerland did, barely tying Italy?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think the Swiss deserve a bit more respect than being compared to Belarus. Belarus was, no disrespect intended, the least worst of the have not teams to make it in the top 8 with the big 7. The Swiss, playing an excellent team game and with great goaltending, have already knocked off two big teams and managed to get 6 of 10 points in the round robin.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Chimp said:
Canada and Czech Republic virtually slept when playing Switzerland. If you think Sweden played bad tonight, guess what Switzerland did, barely tying Italy?

This is why I think the Swiss will win. They have been absolutely disrespected by the Swedes (from Gustafsson's comments, to comments like these), and this is perhaps the first time that they are being considered in the same class as the other 7 teams.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
One more thing I should add, while it is odd that they beat Canada and Czech while only tying Germany and Italy, keep in mind that they don't have a lot of offensive talent, they rely on strong defense to shut down the big scorers, and are not gonna blow out a team like Germany or Italy like the others would.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
RandV said:
I think the Swiss deserve a bit more respect than being compared to Belarus. Belarus was, no disrespect intended, the least worst of the have not teams to make it in the top 8 with the big 7. The Swiss, playing an excellent team game and with great goaltending, have already knocked off two big teams and managed to get 6 of 10 points in the round robin.

The Swiss deserve all respect they can get. And they will be no pushover. The game will be hard fought, and I don't see the numbers running away in any direction. An odd goal win by either team.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think there are compelling stories for all four games. U.S. vs. Finland is a rematch of the 2004 World Cup semi-final squeaker. U.S. remembers that one. Finland wants to prove they are for real, that their impecable team play in the round robin wasn't a fluke. Switzerland/Sweden has the controversial story of whether Sweden tanked the game, and how both sides will react to it. Sweden is looking for redemption from previous tournaments, Switzerland wants to topple one more giant.

Then you have the classic rivalries. The Czechs and Slovaks are one of hockey's best. The Czechs have underachieved. Some might say the Slovaks have overachieved. It'll come down to how well Slovakia's goaltender plays in likely the biggest game of his life. And then there's the old timeless Canada vs. Russia. First meeting for these two teams in an elimination game at a non-junior best-on-best since the classic 1987 Canada Cup Game 3. Need I say more than that. (I have, but it's in another thread).

Tomorrow will truly be a great day for hockey.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Our young players better step up against Canada. Canada is going to take body big time. Our players better be ready to take a hit and make a play. Everybody is going to have to contribute. They cannot afford to be as sloppy as they were today against the US. Unlike the aging US team, Canada can actually score.

GnomE

Mar 17, 2005
Imo, the results of of three of these matchups are almost gimmies for me. Canada, Sweden, and FInland will all advance to the semifinals.

To GBC: Canada played Russia in 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, which I consider almost best-on-best tournament.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
GnomE said:
Imo, the results of of three of these matchups are almost gimmies for me. Canada, Sweden, and FInland will all advance to the semifinals.

To GBC: Canada played Russia in 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, which I consider almost best-on-best tournament.
The World Championship is a prestigious tournament, the most prestigious annual international tournament in the hockey world. But is it a true best-on-best? No. Look at the talent that both teams were missing in that tournament.

The depth of talent for the 2005 Worlds was as good as that tournament has ever had. But it's a notch below what was seen at the two World Cups, or the last three Olympics.

And I don't think any of these are gimmies, or almost gimmies. If this tournament has taught us anything, there aren't any almost gimmies. If Canada doesn't play their game for 60 minutes, there will be a new Olympic champion in 2006. Switzerland is double-tough to play against at the best of times, now they'll really be motivated, and against a Swedish team that hasn't been impressive at all. Finland should beat the U.S., they've played easily the best team game in the tournament thus far, but anything can happen in a best-of-one.

Jazz

piquadrat said:
Help is on your way :) I found a great dutch site yesterday. They stream 5 concurrent international signals. They had all the hockey games yesterday so I expect them to have all the QFs today. And the best thing is: no commentary (I expect most here don't talk dutch :D )

http://cgi.nos.nl/cgi/nosrtv/channelinfo/
Haha - thanks, but it will not work due to IOC right's regulations. That will only work if you are in Europe, not anywhere else... :cry:

But again, thanks for the effort... :)

piquadrat

Oct 2, 2005
Jazz said:
That will only work if you are in Europe, not anywhere else... :cry:

Sorry, I figured that since it's aviable outside of the Netherlands, they don't do a geographical check. Obviously I was wrong. :cry:

CB420

Aug 13, 2005
Edmonton,AB
Shurimor said:
What do you think, guys, what is the best and most exciting QF matchup?

FIN-USA
RUS-CAN
SWE-SWI
SLO-CZE

As a homer, I am picking Russia-Canada. Although, I realize that Slovakia vs Czech Republic game will be great also.

agreed man, you just gotta love this time if your a sports fan n hockey fan from what ever part of the world ur from or what nationality u represent, nothing better then this man, best on best, fast paced good rivalry matchups wit czech vs. slovaks like you said, and obvouisly canada vs russia is always good. I dont think the fins like the americans to much either, that should be a hard hitting game, the Fins wont back down, so that game should be spirited lol

I just hope no 1 ref in any games gets to carried away or somethin, and calls 14 penalties for a team, that would be chincy at this part of the turny...to not have the zebras call the game with a rhythem and players know most the time what is gettin called (cross-check, hook, boarding, holding, intrference etc) keep it consistent man, for the most part.

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
It's a good day for a hockey enthusiastic. I'd say, the QF's today, take a step higher, the latter it starts. The schedule is like this:

SVI - SWE starts it all, you can still be cooking for snacks at this time, or taking a nap. Your call. Then, one hour later, the FIN - USA game is on. It has somewhat more intensity, obviously, so this might be a matchup to follow. Then, 3 hours later, wich means those both games are over and you can now slow down a bit, have a nice and quiet dinner with your close ones, until that RUS - CAN! It's just an option if you wan't to see SVK - CZE 1 hour later, but you still see the last round highlights after RUS-CAN... :)

This is a good day. Despite Swedes peeing pu$$ies, it's still a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad