The Best PLayer In The History of The NHL

charlio lemieux*

Got to be Wayne.

The numbers are insane and speak for themselves. He was in a class of his own.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
In my opinion i think Wayne. He had the moves, power & fast sk8ter, just what you need on a team:hockey: :hockey:
You could argue Wayne but not for those reasons. He was actually pretty average as far as power & speed. He cetainly had the moves & was statistically dominant. he had great vision & smarts and was able to make great plays.

Having said that, if i could see a player in his prime my preferebce would be Orr & Bobby Hull. They could bring everyone to their feet with their amazing speed & ability. watching Hull & Orr wind up behind their net & go end to end was incredible. Gretzy couldn't do it & nobody today can do it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You could argue Wayne but not for those reasons. He was actually pretty average as far as power & speed. He cetainly had the moves & was statistically dominant. he had great vision & smarts and was able to make great plays.

Having said that, if i could see a player in his prime my preferebce would be Orr & Bobby Hull. They could bring everyone to their feet with their amazing speed & ability. watching Hull & Orr wind up behind their net & go end to end was incredible. Gretzy couldn't do it & nobody today can do it.
I think Wayne takes top spot, unarguably, in two categories. Best career ever (all the records and awards, four Cup rings, six trips to the final and a penchant for coming up big when it mattered most). The other is smartest player ever. IMO, it's not even close. No. 2 would likely be Eddie Shore. Gretzky saw and thought the game in a way that has never been matched, and will likely never be matched. Hockey is a game where so much of a player's success is predicated on the mental side of the game and work ethic, and that's why Gretzky was so good.

But as far as the best player to ever play the game, I'll take Orr. Nobody, absolutely nobody, dominated all aspects of the game like Orr. Likely the best skater of all-time, and that's with a wonky knee. Great strength, a tenacious competitor and very physical. Not as smart as Wayne, but not far behind. Nobody could control the game like No. 4.

Hooter

Apr 27, 2005
Wayne's stats may be the best, but in terms of pure talent - no one was better than Bobby Orr. He played defence, yet was able to score 50 goals and win the scoring championship. No one could dominate the game the way Orr could!

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Alex Ovechkin. I read over at the main board recently that he would have scored 200 goals a season in the watered down NHL of yesteryear. :dunce:

Seriously, Robert Orr. Hands down. Best player I'll ever see in my lifetime. One couldn't be better. I truly believe that.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Bobby Orr was the greatest player ever. Gretzky was great, but IMO the battle between him and Howe for second best ever is much closer than the one for first. If I was going to build a team around one player in NHL history it would be Orr, followed by one of Howe, Sawchuk, Gretzky, or Harvey. There is only one situation that I can think of in which I would not select number four as my go to guy and that is sudden death overtime. In any clutch situation, nobody has ever come close to the Rocket.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I think Wayne takes top spot, unarguably, in two categories. Best career ever (all the records and awards, four Cup rings, six trips to the final and a penchant for coming up big when it mattered most). The other is smartest player ever. IMO, it's not even close. No. 2 would likely be Eddie Shore. Gretzky saw and thought the game in a way that has never been matched, and will likely never be matched. Hockey is a game where so much of a player's success is predicated on the mental side of the game and work ethic, and that's why Gretzky was so good.

But as far as the best player to ever play the game, I'll take Orr. Nobody, absolutely nobody, dominated all aspects of the game like Orr. Likely the best skater of all-time, and that's with a wonky knee. Great strength, a tenacious competitor and very physical. Not as smart as Wayne, but not far behind. Nobody could control the game like No. 4.
I would certainly disagree that Gretzy had the greatest careerr ever. My vote for that would be Gordie Howe who broke in at 18 & finished up at 51. Gordie is arguably the greatest ever. He was dominant in the 50's . Just imagine if he was in his prime in the 80's. Top 5 no question is orr, Hull, Howe, Lemieux, Gretzy.

OvechkinDomination*

Wayne Gretzky. Best stats ever, dominated the game like no one else did and could and is the smartest Hockey player ever.

Bobby Orr only played about 9 seasons so that's why i'm not going to say him.

Last edited by a moderator:

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Bobby Orr could do anything and that's why I pick him.

Stats aren't everything and even though Gretzky dominated the stats you can't just pick him because of his stats. It would be like saying Francis is the fourth best player ever.

Last edited:

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Bobby Orr. I don't know why you'd punish him because medical science wasn't as advanced in his day. With today's medicine, he would've played a full career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad