The Best Coach In The History of The NHL

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Bowman. The guy often went against conventional hockey wisdom. Wasn't much for line-matching or consistent linemates. He was tough, occasionally gruff and very demanding. Having met the man and talked with him for a few minutes, he'll never be confused with the best personality or the best talker in the game. But somehow he was an excellent motivator. He was a brilliant tactician and strategist. His teams were always well-prepared. And despite his faults, he was always able to get the most of every team he coached.

After Bowman, my list would likely be Toe Blake, Al Arbour, Fred "The Fog" Shero and Glen Sather. Tommy Ivan, Jack Adams and Punch Imlach, even though their coaching style is very old-school, would be up there. I wouldn't rate Roger Neilson in the top 10, although I firmly believe he deserves to be in the HHOF. As much as I like Cherry, Harry Sinden was a better coach.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I would vote for Toe Blake. The difference between Blake and Bowman is so miniscule that I think the tie breaker ends up being rapport with the players. There are a large number of examples of Bowman clashing with players, to the point where when he was with the Penguins he would coach the games but not the practices. This was not the case with Blake. Plante is the only player I can think of that had a bad relationship with Blake. Blake could make anyone play for him and want to win for him. That is a quality that Bowman never had, much like Punch Imlach. Other coaches have displayed this quality, Cherry, Shero, Bob Johnson etc. To me, Blake had just as much hockey sense as Bowman, but had (as cliche as it sounds) the X factor that Bowman never did. I would say;
1. Blake
2. Bowman
3. Shero
4. Arbour

Just as I always feel the need to mention the Rocket in my posts, I feel as if I need to reference my personal favorite coach. I can't justify him being any higher than the 7-10 range as far as best coaches ever are concerned, but Dick Irvin has always been my favorite.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
no love for Mario tremblay? All kidding aside, of the last 15 years, the best coach imo has to be Lemaire. Has never really coached a good team and yet has a cup and completly changed the way the game has been played. Also, the Wild may be the most consistantly talentless team in the league, yet they are competetive every year and went to the conference finals a few years ago.

Bluesfan1981

Mar 21, 2006
USA
After Bowman, my list would likely be Toe Blake, Al Arbour, Fred "The Fog" Shero and Glen Sather. Tommy Ivan, Jack Adams and Punch Imlach, even though their coaching style is very old-school, would be up there.

What about Hap Day and Dick Irvin?
Pat Burns gets overlooked sometimes as an excellent coach; won a cup and three Jack Adams awards. Besides Bowman, Jacques Lemaire might be the best coach of the last 10-15 years.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Bowman for me. He succeeded in over several different era's with several different teams in such a huge way he is a no-brainer for the best coach ever. Moreso even than Orr as top defenceman or Gretzky as best player. While there are other great coaches he stands out far above everyone else. He has the highest winning percentage and the most games coached all-time.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
What about Hap Day and Dick Irvin?
Pat Burns gets overlooked sometimes as an excellent coach; won a cup and three Jack Adams awards. Besides Bowman, Jacques Lemaire might be the best coach of the last 10-15 years.
Dang, I can't believe I forgot about Dick Irvin and Hap Day. Irvin would definitely be in the top five, ahead of Slats. As much as I respect Slats' coaching acumen, Irvin was a terrific coach. (His son is one of my all-time favourite hockey people). Hap Day would likely be in the top 10.

MacDaddy TLC*

Scotty Bowman is grossly overrated. HE always went to teams on the cusp of greatness. Maggie the Monkey could have coached those teams to victories. Hell, I'll even go one further: Mario Tremblay could have coached those teams to victories.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Scotty Bowman is grossly overrated. HE always went to teams on the cusp of greatness. Maggie the Monkey could have coached those teams to victories. Hell, I'll even go one further: Mario Tremblay could have coached those teams to victories.

I guess you must have missed the years he spent with the Blues or Sabres.

MacDaddy TLC*

I guess you must have missed the years he spent with the Blues or Sabres.

You mean the Sabres who as GM he took from final 4 in 1980 to drafting 1st overall in 1987?

The Blues were like an Old timers all star team playing in the AHL division after expansion.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I think my top 5 in no order would be Bowman, Arbour, Irvin, Blake and Adams.

If I had to pick a coach for my team I would go with Irvin or Neilson personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->