OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Er, I think I would pass, unless I can just have a taster.
I had a Block House Double Chocolate bock the other day....it was awesome. Smelled and tasted like a box of chocolates. Certainly understand if it's not someone's thing but I'm a chocoholic so...

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I think the Sam Adams is first come first served

Oh, I'm not sure about Sam Adams. I was referring to Harpoon. I haven't been to Sam Adams, but I do recall missing out on a Harpoon tour. It may be first come first serve, but that may fill up fast. I just remember missing out on getting the tour, but we were on limited time so it could have been because we couldn't wait long enough. We did have enough time to order and enjoy a flight and a pint. So just something to consider/look into before you go.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Totally random recommendation, but the girl and I had Bahn mi and Ti when we were stateside last month and it is actually one of the best bahn mis either of us had ever eaten. (And Prague and Taiwan are both FULL of great Vietnamese places.)

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Oh, I'm not sure about Sam Adams. I was referring to Harpoon. I haven't been to Sam Adams, but I do recall missing out on a Harpoon tour. It may be first come first serve, but that may fill up fast. I just remember missing out on getting the tour, but we were on limited time so it could have been because we couldn't wait long enough. We did have enough time to order and enjoy a flight and a pint. So just something to consider/look into before you go.

I shall.make sure that I have the time. I plan to go early as I know the Harpoon is not far from where I am staying, well, 30 minute walk along the waterfront but if it is a nice day I'll get some exercise :laugh:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Had a glass of Louis XIII Cognac last week. $3k/bottle. Blend of eaux-de-vie ranging from 40 to over 100 years old.

cognac-remy-martin-louis-xiii-remy-martin-louis-xiii-D_NQ_NP_813388-MLB26587879483_012018-F.jpg

More astringent than I was expecting, as I anticipated something velvety smooth. Rich, complex and fruity, abundant candied dates on the nose. It's a nice cognac, but there others out there that are just as good. My expectations were sky high for this.

Clearly a status purchase, I was disappointed as it just didn't do much for me. I feel the high cost has more to do with the price of having artists make the crystal bottles individually by hand and the cost of housing barrels for over 100 years. It's one of those things people claim is incredible because they want to justify the money they dropped on it, or like I said, a status purchase as they want those that can't afford it to think it is the holy grail.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Fqq8EeI_OcJaqlsPgXz2_riPawA7eAjDGJJiN4WkdLSOwQi0KnNX1G-h6pq4z-74-2MXv4iVEemdASgoExq6Pb-cerXZbRLfROs9hvWG8TuRpZZiS_mXTTAM4yH7XFyvmhV7XNqgVmqF9VYVC7c2o7gfS9nuMX4fWypolzkYOQgFzi-DLII6fDQgKfwLg2oEwwfBzZdRWZW0vbMW1wdv0q4zF-JMWmOfXYrnqy0NYO8z0xBLX8p9jC2qWL8UnukiQkk-mD3AnNeykIOm8NiyfszYdmkGpS3YBVNvyBLYwKD9YTDbcve0xyl8L00fqarewU7-DGPiHZX_Fv0h-dWqt62YqRcJe3rzwaOgRVbjvZr6pFSeHjdgfK3rRkpBlbi8FkECDupPeUYS_njGuoa1TqZh3MkoqzMToR0d5BpTsOXMYiEl7sk4p8dzTpiee5ZDRtufUj9f1UifQWxCYQtxOKLnK-rrjykY3NtZzTO35Gw6TCe3VxJdnSXhxo1xjCXthmEeofmRsNSLlnCIokfpgF8XaeZrA2aJ5d6FIR6iqyq7AnGgar2crKjIk6Bg2f4MD0UX9mBgFIMpGfZ1ae6eMbLkgD271MJg9hI_ytg=w488-h650-no

holy moly you better be ready before you drink this monster, 10% goes down smooth and is not quite like any russian imperial's i've had. coffee and molasses with a raisins and dates subtle finish which makes the finish smoooth...

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
2rfzhxl.jpg

Had 1oz left in this bottle of Eagle Rare, so I thought I would try it in this pint of Imperial Biscotti Break. That beer is already 11.2%. This should be interesting.

Oh good god, it's beyond delicious.

Last edited:
Reactions: StaalForOne

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Picked up a new beer from Dogfish Head, Dragons & YumYums. It's a pale ale with dragonfruit, yumberry, passion fruit, pear, and black carrot juices. Not bad, pretty interesting.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Fqq8EeI_OcJaqlsPgXz2_riPawA7eAjDGJJiN4WkdLSOwQi0KnNX1G-h6pq4z-74-2MXv4iVEemdASgoExq6Pb-cerXZbRLfROs9hvWG8TuRpZZiS_mXTTAM4yH7XFyvmhV7XNqgVmqF9VYVC7c2o7gfS9nuMX4fWypolzkYOQgFzi-DLII6fDQgKfwLg2oEwwfBzZdRWZW0vbMW1wdv0q4zF-JMWmOfXYrnqy0NYO8z0xBLX8p9jC2qWL8UnukiQkk-mD3AnNeykIOm8NiyfszYdmkGpS3YBVNvyBLYwKD9YTDbcve0xyl8L00fqarewU7-DGPiHZX_Fv0h-dWqt62YqRcJe3rzwaOgRVbjvZr6pFSeHjdgfK3rRkpBlbi8FkECDupPeUYS_njGuoa1TqZh3MkoqzMToR0d5BpTsOXMYiEl7sk4p8dzTpiee5ZDRtufUj9f1UifQWxCYQtxOKLnK-rrjykY3NtZzTO35Gw6TCe3VxJdnSXhxo1xjCXthmEeofmRsNSLlnCIokfpgF8XaeZrA2aJ5d6FIR6iqyq7AnGgar2crKjIk6Bg2f4MD0UX9mBgFIMpGfZ1ae6eMbLkgD271MJg9hI_ytg=w488-h650-no

holy moly you better be ready before you drink this monster, 10% goes down smooth and is not quite like any russian imperial's i've had. coffee and molasses with a raisins and dates subtle finish which makes the finish smoooth...

The image didn't work, what beer are you talking about? It sounds awesome.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I'm gonna be drinking cheap beer tomorrow in order to properly celebrate Wilson's cheap shot on Dumo.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Walked into Market District today to see that Cigar City Brewing is now distributing to PA. The guy at the checkout was telling me the first shipment just came in.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I always forget about this thread since Cole stole it from me :laugh:

Man...had people over tonight. To beat this absurd heat, started making some frozen strawberry daiquiris and some pineapple-orange-banana daiquiris (with kraken). So much alcohol. :ha:

Then while others were drinking whatever, I had an entire 750ml Clown Shoes Catcher in the Rye 2017. Oh my god, what a beer, Delicious dark roasty malt, soaked in rye whiskey, I'm in heaven right now. lol

Also had a New Holland Dragon's Milk Stout from several years ago (2015 or 2016), aged in home....man...this just gets better and better as it sits. You'd think it was chocolate milk, no alcohol burn whatsoever.

I'm feeling nothing right now. I love stouts so much.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Anyone been to Portsmouth, NH? Looking for recommendations for breweries to visit there.

Not sure if this is too late. But there's so many good ones in the surrounding areas of NH. Trillium in Boston(only good thing to come out of there) Tree House in Mass. Alchemist in VT. The head guy is actually from Pittsburgh. Hill Farmstead in VT. Lawsons in VT.

Those are the big ones people go crazy for and trade. Most of them are known for their NEIPA's if you like Brew Gentlemen or Dancing Gnome in Pitt. Actually, I see you live in NY they would be like Other Half if you have been there. They will also have other styles and good stouts. Alchemist and Lawsons are West Coast ipas.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Thanks, I was looking for suggestions in Portsmouth as there are quite a few breweries there, but I don't know much about them. From what I've gathered Stoneface, Kettlehead, Liars Bench, and Earth Eagle are the go-to's. We will likely venture to Portland one day and check out a few there. Austin Street and Bissell specifically, then some others if there is time. Not sure we will make it to Mass, but they do have lots of good breweries right now. Trillium, Tree House, and I believe there is another. Lucky Hare or something like that. We wanted to stop at Tree House on the way but I believe they are closed Sundays.

I did not know that about Alchemist re: the guy is from Pittsburgh. Heady Topper is one of my favorites, and we have been to quite a few VT breweries. Foam, Fiddlehead, Alchemist, and Burlington were our favorites, but have not been to Hill Farmstead yet.

Other Half has been killing it, but it's still hard to get here. Same state yes, but they are 6 hours away. I'm closer to Pittsburgh than NYC. Lots of good NY breweries right now too. Other Half, Equilibrium, District 96, Evil Twin, Sand City, and Finback are all real good.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Looks like Platform has finally started distributing to PGH. I know them because they're right down the street from Great Lakes in The Cleve, pretty good stuff.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’m out in California, but if any of you see Archer Brewery in you local bottle/can store. Try their IPA or Bondie. Archer has become my #1 brewery for beers. Some of their selections I’ve tried and I wouldn’t buy outright but I’ve literally not had a bad beer by them period.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Looks like Platform has finally started distributing to PGH. I know them because they're right down the street from Great Lakes in The Cleve, pretty good stuff.

Nice didn't know they started distributing outside of Ohio. They are expanding like crazy. They now have brewpubs in Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincy as well as a production facility in Cleveland. All within 3 years.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
The Pols are starting to produce some interesting beer for some of you creepers out there. Just dona Google search for Polish underwear beer and you'll get it.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Other Half is coming to Rochester, which I am quite stoked about.

Is it possible to facilitate trades/beer mail through this page or is that against site rules?

Nice!

Edit - I'm an idiot. I just realized you were asking if we can do trades thru here not trading in general.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad