OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V6~ Let's drink!

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Anyone seen any of the Elysian pumpkin beers around town? I feel like they've usually been and gone by now but I've yet to see any.

I saw Night Owl today, but only that. I seem to usually see it a week or two before the others. I've had luck finding the bombers of the others at the Cranberry Giant Eagle and at Whole Foods last year. They always tell me that those ones are not available when I ask at Robinson Market District, not sure why whoever does their ordering can't get them.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I saw Night Owl today, but only that. I seem to usually see it a week or two before the others. I've had luck finding the bombers of the others at the Cranberry Giant Eagle and at Whole Foods last year. They always tell me that those ones are not available when I ask at Robinson Market District, not sure why whoever does their ordering can't get them.
Yeah, Wexford Whole Foods was where I got them last year. Nice, I'll be on the lookout.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Went on a pumpkin beer run (for some reason...lol, still have 2015 and 2016 pumpkin brews left) to Missouri today.

4 pack Southern Tier Pumking
4 pack Southern Tier Warlock
2 4 packs Southern Tier Cold Press Coffee Pumking
6 pack Core Pumpkin Pie Ale
12 pack O'Fallon Pumpkin Pack (3 of each of the following)
-O'Fallon Pumpkin Ale
-O'Fallon Jack O'Latte Pumpkin Cream Stout
-O'Fallon Saison de Citruoille
-O’Fallon Pumpkin Bread Dunkelweizen

Went looking for Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and Southern Tier Rum Barrel Aged Pumking, but those 2 were already sold out. And I saw a 6 pack of O'Fallon Vanilla Pumpkin Ale that I assumed was in their 12 pack sampler...but wasn't so now I'll have to go find that. lol

The Pumpkin Bread one sounds delicious. I would put pumpkin bread/pumpkin bars to infuse stouts in the past. This is a dunkel, so not going to be as decadent as a stout, but still could be very tasty.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
i really didn't like the regular pumking when i tried it....but that cold press coffee pumking sounds interesting

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Had some good beers in Florida. Visited Funky Buddha, and had multiple beers from them including their Rum Barrel Aged Sweet Potato Casserole Strong Ale. I really enjoyed the regular version of the sweet potato ale as well. Some other favorites I had from them were their French Toast double brown ale and raspberry habanero red ale, Fire in the Hole. They also had a pretty interesting saison called Android 3000 with peach, orange zest, coriander, and peppercorns.

Also visted some smaller breweries, Nobo and Due South. I would recommend both of them. Due South had a very good porter called Mexican Standoff with chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and chili peppers.

I was also able to get a bottle of Cigar City's Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale out of a liquor store. Very good as well.

A lot of good lighter fruit/sour beers, but so many good stouts and porters, hard with the weather. Had to mix in a lot of rum drinks to offset lol.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Good as always. I feel like it doesn't have as much heat as years past, but it's still very good.

Just made a day trip to Vermont. Picked up some Rock Art, Lost Nation, Burlington Beer Co, Fiddlehead, and Foam. Everything at Foam and Burlington were top notch.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I just bought a 6 pack of Victory Sour Monkey and Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. I’m not really crazy about pumkin beers, but I buy some every year some reason.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I love Xocoveza. Love. I might have to hunt some down.

My great beer discovery of this trip to the States was the Alesmith Thai Speedway. Brew Gentleman Mexican Coffee was pretty cool too, but not cool enough for me to join the weird queue for Double Mexican Coffee.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I love Xocoveza. Love. I might have to hunt some down.

My great beer discovery of this trip to the States was the Alesmith Thai Speedway. Brew Gentleman Mexican Coffee was pretty cool too, but not cool enough for me to join the weird queue for Double Mexican Coffee.

Evil Twin makes an "Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break" which you should try if you find some. Kinda similar in style to Xocoveza. Chocolate/coffee/hint of heat.
https://untappd.com/b/evil-twin-brewing-imperial-mexican-biscotti-cake-break/1784149

Reactions: Peat

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Tried a few new (to me) beers today: Dogfish head liquid truth serum. Rogue hazelnut brown nectar and Anchor Christmas Ale.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
How were they? Pretty sure I've had the Anchor before but not 100%.

Looking forward to trying some new Christmas beers this year.
I really liked the dogfish head one. I thought that I would like it the least. It reminded me of a double ipa that Great Lakes made or still makes. I don’t recall the name, but I had it maybe 4 years ago.
The Rogue had a good flavor, but is sweeter than I like for beers. It has a strong hazelnut smell and flavor.
There is something about the Anchor beer that I am not crazy about. I can’t really put my finger on it, but I think the taste of the hops and one of the spices clashes to my palate. It is smooth and has a good mouthfeel though.

If you haven't already had it, try Tröegs Mad Elf. My favorite Chistmas beer.

Great Lakes makes a pretty good one too.
Thanks, I tried Mad Elf for the first time last year. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to picking up some this year. I almost picked the great lakes beer instead of the anchor. I will have to try it soon too. I am impressed by great lakes. Everything I have tried from them has been solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->