Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
giphy.gif

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
How did I miss Untitled Unmastered from Kendrick? Shit is damn good for a bunch of throwaway songs. Track 5 is fantastic.

I love that you can link Spotify here now.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Also, for those who are interested in The Disaster Artist, but feel like you need to/have to see The Room first let me tell you--you don't.

Saw it last Thursday night and while it certainly doesn't hurt to have seen The Room beforehand (and does aid in eliciting more laughs at certain things), it is not required for one to thoroughly enjoy the movie.

Besides, it's real Hollywood movie.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Also, are Beats worth it and which ones should I get? Like ~$200 max. If you have a recommendation of another brand (and model) instead, I'd like to hear that too. Let it also be known that I'm not on Apple.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Also, are Beats worth it and which ones should I get? Like ~$200 max. If you have a recommendation of another brand (and model) instead, I'd like to hear that too. Let it also be known that I'm not on Apple.

I wish you had asked this during Black Friday :rant:

I have the JBL Everest 750NC's (noise cancelling headphones), and I like them quite a bit. I personally found the Beats headphones too uncomfortable on my head. The JBL's I bought were down to under $200 during BF (they're now at their regular $299.99 price).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Beats are overvalued and ovepriced because people think they're cool due to the guy who made them.

Look for Audiotechnica, I've had a single pair of audiotechnica headphones since 2005, they still work and perfect for my drumset. I have bought others since that time, all audiotechnica and never had a complaint. They do have studio headphones in the 5K range, but a lot of their consumer models are always almost 40 to 50% cheaper than the likes of Bose and Beats. Sony also makes a good headphone, but I've heard complaints about their durability.

E: there are some pretty good sales on Amazon for Audiotechnica.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Beats are overvalued and ovepriced because people think they're cool due to the guy who made them.
Not exactly a huge surprise. Now with the Apple thing I'm even more wary of getting them. Don't wanna be getting stuff with features exclusive to Apple, f*** off with that.

Look for Audiotechnica, I've had a single pair of audiotechnica headphones since 2005, they still work and perfect for my drumset. I have bought others since that time, all audiotechnica and never had a complaint. They do have studio headphones in the 5K range, but a lot of their consumer models are always almost 40 to 50% cheaper than the likes of Bose and Beats. Sony also makes a good headphone, but I've heard complaints about their durability.
What I like about Beats is some of them are wireless but come with a 3.5mm jack and cord. That's because my old ass drums only have a 3.5mm for headphones.

I've been leery of buying expensive headphones because of how many cheap ones I've broken over time. I have a $30 JBL option too, in case I can't make a decision in time. :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I wish you had asked this during Black Friday :rant:

I have the JBL Everest 750NC's (noise cancelling headphones), and I like them quite a bit. I personally found the Beats headphones too uncomfortable on my head. The JBL's I bought were down to under $200 during BF (they're now at their regular $299.99 price).

I kinda wish that too. I realized I'll be traveling a lot around Christmas and I don't have any headphones besides some free god awful earbuds.

I had at least two pairs of trusty Sennheisers that were $30 with a 10-foot cord. Good for the drums and decent enough, but I thought I'd try better ones, since that's an old model that's starting to be a bit difficult to find too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I have a pair of Beats Wireless. Best money I've ever spent. There are probably better brands but I wouldn't know because I didn't try them all.

I use headphones every single day at the gym. I used to hate wires getting in the way of my workouts. Now I toss my phone on the floor, put my headphones on and lift away.

Again, maybe there are other wireless brands that are better. I'm not the type of guy who shops around. When Beats wireless came out I bought them and they've been perfect for what I need. Never looked elsewhere.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I kinda wish that too. I realized I'll be traveling a lot around Christmas and I don't have any headphones besides some free god awful earbuds.

I had at least two pairs of trusty Sennheisers that were $30 with a 10-foot cord. Good for the drums and decent enough, but I thought I'd try better ones, since that's an old model that's starting to be a bit difficult to find too.

I bought a pair of Audio Technica's when I was looking at a pair of nice headphones (since I'm doing a lot of video production/editing for my degree). I initially bought the JBL Everest 350's, but found them to be just a little too uncomfortable with my ears, and they were a bit 'bass-ier' than I would have preferred. I swapped them out for a pair of AT's that had good reviews, and were fairly comfortable, but they were just a bit too 'tinny' sounding and had an overall lower volume. After that I swapped them out for the Everest 750NC and I have enjoyed it a lot more. There's different EQ settings that I can play around with to get a little bit less on the bass, while still delivering a nice overall sound. I can't compare the noise cancelling quality to that of Bose, but I would suspect the Bose are probably top-of-the-line when it comes to that (consumer wise).

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
A nice pair of Bose headphones are much better than Beats IMO. Beats are horribly overpriced for what they are.
I haven't been looking at Bose because they're so terribly expensive on average, but QuietComfort 25's seem to be on sale for $270 instead of $450. Might be able to swing that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not exactly a huge surprise. Now with the Apple thing I'm even more wary of getting them. Don't wanna be getting stuff with features exclusive to Apple, **** off with that.

What I like about Beats is some of them are wireless but come with a 3.5mm jack and cord. That's because my old ass drums only have a 3.5mm for headphones.

I've been leery of buying expensive headphones because of how many cheap ones I've broken over time. I have a $30 JBL option too, in case I can't make a decision in time. :laugh:
To dive deeper I actually have three models of Audiotechnica....

- A corded one since 2005 I've used for my drumset (they've been beaten and battered, pulled out of sockets, never broke).
- A new corded one I bought a couple years ago for my drumset (been more careful with these, very comfortable).
- A hybrid headphones which I use for my gaming systems and listening to music (I'll go into this one into more detail).

I was looking at all models ranging from Sony to Bose because I wanted a hybrid headphone or one that is both bluetooth and wired (so I can choose which options I want at specific times). I've had multiple bluetooth speakers from like five companies to test out a threatre-like sound at home. Every single one I've tested always came with a noise interference and a huge lack of quality sound, where I was really dissasified. These included JBL, couple of Sonys, and other brands around all prices and models (actual headphones to specific theatre models). Then I figured that I would cheque Audiotechnica because they models for literally everything. I probably did a good month of research and found these...

Which perform exactly what I wanted going from my laptop to my Xbox to my television to my phone. The pros for them is you can take them anywhere, they have outstanding sound quality, comes with carrying case, durable, comes with a wire where you can also talk via your phone, and comes with a charging kit for the wireless portion. The cons are they don't have amazing battery life, they charge slowly than I would prefer (I've only charged them from my laptop though), some hiccups in Bluetooth quality at times, and (strictly for me) they can get uncomfortable at times. Another con is that the bluetooth doesn't hook up to every single item, it's not really a limitation of the headphone, but certain technology. For instance, you cannot make it pair with your Xbox because Nazisoft doesn't allow you (have to buy certain models). It didn't pair with my Sony television either. I hear you can buy an adapter to make it sync with a PS4, but haven't read too deep into it as of yet. I did buy a sound system for my Sony 4k which allows me to pair my headphones with it. You just gotta be caution because just because it says bluetooth doesn't mean it will work (such as the case for A LOT of TVs).

The more expensive the headphone, the higher quality you get in sound and more comfortable they become. I will say that Bose, though ridiculously expensive are absolutely worth with the price. They make great products. Beats as mentioned here, suck in every way and form. Sony have hit or miss products so I really pay attention to the negative reviews (such as durability). JBL's higher brand stuff are good, wouldn't trust their cheaper items personally. Personally, music is a huge part of my life so I gladly will pay for expensive headphones and will never buy a pair under 100 bucks, but that's just me.

What you want to look for in a headphone (specifically over the ear headphones because they give you best sound quality) is the headphone's "driver" which will be in millimeters. So for example these Sony's here (which I also looked at)...

Have a 40 mm driver producing better sound quality than those less than this number. If you can find the highest driver mm as possible with the lowest price as possible, then you you're finding yourself a really good deal. But as RL said, you should have shopped on Black Friday because Amazon had some really good offers.

E: Tell me if you cannot see the Amazon products, because it is showing up as "invisible" blocks for me.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
To dive deeper I actually have three models of Audiotechnica....

- A corded one since 2005 I've used for my drumset (they've been beaten and battered, pulled out of sockets, never broke).
- A new corded one I bought a couple years ago for my drumset (been more careful with these, very comfortable).
- A hybrid headphones which I use for my gaming systems and listening to music (I'll go into this one into more detail).

I was looking at all models ranging from Sony to Bose because I wanted a hybrid headphone or one that is both bluetooth and wired (so I can choose which options I want at specific times). I've had multiple bluetooth speakers from like five companies to test out a threatre-like sound at home. Every single one I've tested always came with a noise interference and a huge lack of quality sound, where I was really dissasified. These included JBL, couple of Sonys, and other brands around all prices and models (actual headphones to specific theatre models). Then I figured that I would cheque Audiotechnica because they models for literally everything. I probably did a good month of research and found these...

Which perform exactly what I wanted going from my laptop to my Xbox to my television to my phone. The pros for them is you can take them anywhere, they have outstanding sound quality, comes with carrying case, durable, comes with a wire where you can also talk via your phone, and comes with a charging kit for the wireless portion. The cons are they don't have amazing battery life, they charge slowly than I would prefer (I've only charged them from my laptop though), some hiccups in Bluetooth quality at times, and (strictly for me) they can get uncomfortable at times. Another con is that the bluetooth doesn't hook up to every single item, it's not really a limitation of the headphone, but certain technology. For instance, you cannot make it pair with your Xbox because Nazisoft doesn't allow you (have to buy certain models). It didn't pair with my Sony television either. I hear you can buy an adapter to make it sync with a PS4, but haven't read too deep into it as of yet. I did buy a sound system for my Sony 4k which allows me to pair my headphones with it. You just gotta be caution because just because it says bluetooth doesn't mean it will work (such as the case for A LOT of TVs).

The more expensive the headphone, the higher quality you get in sound and more comfortable they become. I will say that Bose, though ridiculously expensive are absolutely worth with the price. They make great products. Beats as mentioned here, suck in every way and form. Sony have hit or miss products so I really pay attention to the negative reviews (such as durability). JBL's higher brand stuff are good, wouldn't trust their cheaper items personally. Personally, music is a huge part of my life so I gladly will pay for expensive headphones and will never buy a pair under 100 bucks, but that's just me.

What you want to look for in a headphone (specifically over the ear headphones because they give you best sound quality) is the headphone's "driver" which will be in millimeters. So for example these Sony's here (which I also looked at)...

Have a 40 mm driver producing better sound quality than those less than this number. If you can find the highest driver mm as possible with the lowest price as possible, then you you're finding yourself a really good deal. But as RL said, you should have shopped on Black Friday because Amazon had some really good offers.

E: Tell me if you cannot see the Amazon products, because it is showing up as "invisible" blocks for me.
Thanks. Yeah they're not showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad