OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The only way to change something you dislike is to get out there and do something about it.

At least that's how I feel right now. Hitting the world hard for experiences and connections. I've got the rest of my life figured out, time to figure out the hardest part for me.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The only way to change something you dislike is to get out there and do something about it.

At least that's how I feel right now. Hitting the world hard for experiences and connections. I've got the rest of my life figured out, time to figure out the hardest part for me.

Took me way too long to really grasp the magnitude of this. Staggered around for a long time and only within the past 6 months have I really been making an effort.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Sitting in the Houston airport waiting for luggage because of thunderstorms - they won’t run the luggage ramp until storms have cleared.

Lesson learned - never ever ever check your bags

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

I really dislike not having superpowers. Any help?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think Cosmic rays is my best bet, seems like the go to, Gamma will prb fcuk my sh!t up though
Cosmic Rays? You want to be lame like the Fantastic Four? Gamma radiation is what it's all about. Sure, you may be cursed with an angry green alter ego, but you could also end up f***ing awesome like Spider-Man. That's a chance I'm willing to take, at least until gene manipulation gives me a healing factor or laser eyes.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Cosmic Rays? You want to be lame like the Fantastic Four? Gamma radiation is what it's all about. Sure, you may be cursed with an angry green alter ego, but you could also end up ****ing awesome like Spider-Man. That's a chance I'm willing to take, at least until gene manipulation gives me a healing factor or laser eyes.

Spidey was bitten literally by a radioactive spider, i dont wanna take the chance i actually end up like a spider

Plus Cosmic stuff seems more ritzy and high end, like the Tiffany's of origin stories
I could literally end up being a dude made up of Stars lookin all fly and stuff
Gamma seems so ...Hood and Ghetto

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Spidey was bitten literally by a radioactive spider, i dont wanna take the chance i actually end up like a spider

Plus Cosmic stuff seems more ritzy and high end, like the Tiffany's of origin stories
I could literally end up being a dude made up of Stars lookin all fly and stuff
Gamma seems so ...Hood and Ghetto
Gamma certainly has a chance to turn you into Arm-Fall-Off Boy if you're not careful. It's like changing your genome with a hammer instead of a scalpel, you never know what you'll get.

How about blinding yourself with radioactive waste? Then you could be a cool sonic ninja whose main enemy is just a big fat dude.

Reactions: agentblack

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hey @S E P H, have you seen the documentary on YouTube about Dream Theater's post-Portnoy drummer auditions? There's a good chance you have, since the video's from 2011, but it is super awesome.
Yes I have, some good stuff in there. I think of the drummers they were also looking at (based upon my recollection) and quite significantly was that German drummer from Obscura, Grossman I believe. I am not a fan of technical death anymore, but that dude is an unbelievable drummer. After the exodus of Portnoy, it shows how much he meant to their songwriting process. For example, even though Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Systemic Chaos aren't the best that Dream Theatre has to offer (I do love BC&SL though), those albums absolutely destroy anything made in the Mike Mangini era.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed parts of the self-entitled album and The Astonishing and they're not bad albums by any stretch of the imagination, you can feel a lack of passion. Mangini is an amazing drummer, his technical skills are some of the best in modern era where he is easily top 3-5 in the world. However, I will be even the first to admit that as a guy who loves the technical portion of music many musicians who are very technical lose a lot of melody in their music. Mangini is a perfect example of what I mean here, his skills are insane, but his song writing has to be some of the dullest I've heard in any band that I love.

Which brings up another point, the past two months I've been slowly listening to Rush's entire discography and man the their song writing was the opposite direction of Dream Theatre with Mangini. I thought I would've never enjoyed some of their earlier albums, but I gotta give credit where it's due and say that Fly By Night is an amazing album - not a bad song there. 2112, what can you say more than this classic? Moving Pictures is still my favourite album along with A Farewell to Kings from what I've listened to thus far, but I totally get now why the true Rush fans say that is the best album (2112). The two best songs which I think absolutely captured their prime in song creation has to be on Hemispheres though, I don't know if you're ever listened to Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres or La Villa Strangiato, but you need to like right now. True that they're longer songs, but man the creativity and all musical elements you want in music are all displayed in these two masterpieces. I am currently on Signals and just heard another really underrated track by them called Chemistry.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yes I have, some good stuff in there. I think of the drummers they were also looking at (based upon my recollection) and quite significantly was that German drummer from Obscura, Grossman I believe. I am not a fan of technical death anymore, but that dude is an unbelievable drummer. After the exodus of Portnoy, it shows how much he meant to their songwriting process. For example, even though Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Systemic Chaos aren't the best that Dream Theatre has to offer (I do love BC&SL though), those albums absolutely destroy anything made in the Mike Mangini era.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed parts of the self-entitled album and The Astonishing and they're not bad albums by any stretch of the imagination, you can feel a lack of passion. Mangini is an amazing drummer, his technical skills are some of the best in modern era where he is easily top 3-5 in the world. However, I will be even the first to admit that as a guy who loves the technical portion of music many musicians who are very technical lose a lot of melody in their music. Mangini is a perfect example of what I mean here, his skills are insane, but his song writing has to be some of the dullest I've heard in any band that I love.

Which brings up another point, the past two months I've been slowly listening to Rush's entire discography and man the their song writing was the opposite direction of Dream Theatre with Mangini. I thought I would've never enjoyed some of their earlier albums, but I gotta give credit where it's due and say that Fly By Night is an amazing album - not a bad song there. 2112, what can you say more than this classic? Moving Pictures is still my favourite album along with A Farewell to Kings from what I've listened to thus far, but I totally get now why the true Rush fans say that is the best album (2112). The two best songs which I think absolutely captured their prime in song creation has to be on Hemispheres though, I don't know if you're ever listened to Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres or La Villa Strangiato, but you need to like right now. True that they're longer songs, but man the creativity and all musical elements you want in music are all displayed in these two masterpieces. I am currently on Signals and just heard another really underrated track by them called Chemistry.
The German dude had a crazy style of playing. Although it's not like Mangini didn't also play like the nerdy professor he is. He even did the one-handed roll with the switch and the "sweat off the forehead" motion. I haven't paid that much attention to the song writing, but I bet it's true. Portnoy is just an out of this world talent. As far as Mangini's technical skills, I saw this video where he goes "so this is what I like to do for practice" and he does this 3-layered pattern thing and switches it up and all that, and I'm watching it like "alright, I'mma sell my kit".

I like The Enemy Inside, but other than that I haven't really listened to the two most recent albums. Octavarium I'm most familiar with... I should give Rush some more attention. I just listen to the more well-known songs and mostly stick to Moving Pictures. The thing with that is, I much prefer Dream Theater's sound (progressive metal over progressive rock), so I fear Rush is going to be too "progressive". Not only that, I'm also wary about giving any other progressive metal band a chance as well.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The German dude had a crazy style of playing. Although it's not like Mangini didn't also play like the nerdy professor he is. He even did the one-handed roll with the switch and the "sweat off the forehead" motion. I haven't paid that much attention to the song writing, but I bet it's true. Portnoy is just an out of this world talent. As far as Mangini's technical skills, I saw this video where he goes "so this is what I like to do for practice" and he does this 3-layered pattern thing and switches it up and all that, and I'm watching it like "alright, I'mma sell my kit".

I like The Enemy Inside, but other than that I haven't really listened to the two most recent albums. Octavarium I'm most familiar with... I should give Rush some more attention. I just listen to the more well-known songs and mostly stick to Moving Pictures. The thing with that is, I much prefer Dream Theater's sound (progressive metal over progressive rock), so I fear Rush is going to be too "progressive". Not only that, I'm also wary about giving any other progressive metal band a chance as well.
Rush is definitely has a more "pop" feel to it, so DT might be a better disc for you in the long run. However, if you like Moving Pictures who should like majority of their discography except for probably their earlier stuff. If you want to look for another insane drummer, cheque out the guy who plays in a band called Archspire I believe. His technical skills are meh, but he is BY FAR the fastest drummer I've witnessed - again not a fan of that type of music.

As I said I can't argue against Magini's talent, but his drumset just simply pisses me off. Like I've watch a lot of Portnoy videos of him on actual drumsets we can afford and just go to town with them. Magini is like, okay Pearl lets build a drumset which costs as much as the lowest end Ferrari and show the public.

One time I went into a music store and got into this conversation with a fellow drummer where we were talking about our favourite music and styles of drumming. Lately I've been practicing and rebuilding my electronic kit time and time again trying new styles out. This guy recommended a dude I never heard before named El Negro (might have mentioned him last time, I apologize if I did). He has such a unique style that I have sort of incorporated in my practicing. He plays a weird genre like Jazz-salsa. The other guy I've been paying a lot of attention to because I quite enjoy his hi-hat usage is Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree. I would say that my weakest area of drumming has to be my bass drum tempo so I've also been playing to a lot of Fear Factory songs since Gene Hogan is a double bass master. Sadly though, I've had to temporarily stop drumming because my hands are just destroyed with blisters, so I am waiting for my drum gloves to get here.

Last edited:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Map of "which food does your state hate the most?"

DdrGRL5V4AApqC1.jpg:large

Well done steak and Mayonnaise on fries are a thing? wtf

No comment on Missouri

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma

That is very true.
Usually things do not fall into place by themselves.

For me it was not even something I disliked.
It was more like "The only way to really become happy is to not accept "good enough"".
You get stuck in a rut fast and you start blaming others for your own laziness and lack of progress.

I made a decision to move abroad for work and that did wonders. Got out of my comfort zone to get some progress done in my life.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You know, I've lost a lot of interest in the Star Wars series and have yet to see VIII, and I have no interest in the Solo movie, but the Boba Fett movie could be cool. I don't love the spin off cash grab plan that doesn't really add much, but Boba Fett is a cool character so it could be entertaining. Thoughts?

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
The 7th was still okay, the 8th was an abomination beyond words.
Came out of the theater shaking my head.
Had worked so hard to not see any trailers or info beforehand and was handed that?!

Rogue 1 was nice, and I have no real interest in Solo or the 9th.
Maybe I´ll watch them sometimes later on streaming.

Regarding Bobba Fett, I think it depends on how they wanna spin it.
At least it sounds quite interesting for sure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really liked 7 and Rogue One... 8 was a horrific movie. Watched it again recently and still can't come to terms with it. I will still see 9 in theaters, but my hype is all but dead. I have no real interest in Solo or a Bobba Fett movie. I might join people or watching streaming at some point, but I certainly won't go out of my way to watch them.

Reactions: Oxymoron

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The 7th was still okay, the 8th was an abomination beyond words.
Came out of the theater shaking my head.
Had worked so hard to not see any trailers or info beforehand and was handed that?!

Rogue 1 was nice, and I have no real interest in Solo or the 9th.
Maybe I´ll watch them sometimes later on streaming.

Regarding Bobba Fett, I think it depends on how they wanna spin it.
At least it sounds quite interesting for sure.
Yeah, I got the sense from VIII, so that's eventual streaming stuff for me, just like IX. I streamed Rogue One too. It was fine, but just that.

I'd hope they go heavy on the fun stuff (action scenes) with Boba Fett. Boba Fett's own death was a crappy scene, but luckily Jango Fett's death was already a fun scene in the most average movie ever. I mean who doesn't like to see a clone get decapitated like that, eh? I hope they don't go too heavy on the boring origin story stuff. I'm all capped out on that.

Solo, I can't be bothered with. I never liked the Han/Chewie dynamic. It's reeks of an 80's trope. He might as well go "Ayyy!" and give a double thumbs up.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Speaking of concept albums @S E P H, I finally came around to listening to Metropolis 2 in its entirety, and it's pretty solid. Requires actually listening to it though, which I'm not used to.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Sorry, I even checked to see if "Waingro" applied to anyone besides the welt in Heat who Robert De Niro inexplicably brings into a big job despite knowing nothing about him, but I was watching him getting his head hit off the table & window in a diner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad