The Atlantic Division

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Someone actually needs to lock this thread, the smugness coming from both sides is legitimately making me angry that anyone could have their head so far up their own ass on a ****ing hockey forum.

Y’all probably like to smell your own farts
If we're being honest, not a single person dislikes it.

Reactions: Critical

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Tampa and Boston peaked too early imo.
Boston=Columbus last year.
There's something to be said about Babcock saving all his players with lesser ice-time than most teams and icing the worst lineup possible for the first 50 games. It's all uphill from here.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Oh, the scenario holds perfectly well. Bruins have the best away record in the league, by FAR too.

Pointing first out that they played less away games, then just to see a spectacular rebuttal of that via the performance in those away games and then going with a "duh, but you anyway only play bad teams" just reeks of desperation.

We are 16-5-4 away AND 18-7-4 at home: we consistently beat teams home AND away WAY more than they beat us. And way better than the rest of the league minus Tampa who has a whopping 0.001 better pts%.
But I know, we played 2/3rds of a season but have only played bad teams. Of course. We played Arizona 54 games, I guess. /S

Ah the fodder of the younger generation. Create arguments no one has said, add in ridicule and try to argue against your own argument. If there's one thing HF Boards has lead me to believe it is that reductio ad absurdum is a core principle in the current education system. Nice touch too with the "just reeks of desperation". I wonder if you learned how to connect the dots between that statement and your arguing technique?

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
There's something to be said about Babcock saving all his players with lesser ice-time than most teams and icing the worst lineup possible for the first 50 games. It's all uphill from here.

Aside from the bias, I don't think that's a fair statement. Boston has arguably one of the best lines in hockey, with players that have a wealth of experience mixed in with younger guys to insulate their success. Their top guys are their leaders, Columbus didn't have that last year.

Columbus rode that 16 game win streak and their top 7 scorers on their team either matched or exceeded their career highs.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'l give credit to the Bruins. They are currently a tier above the leafs. They are more experienced and have a slightly more well rounded roster. I don't think that they can sweep the leafs, it will go to 6/7 games either way if we play. However it is looking more and more like the Bruins are going to win the division . They are firing on all cylinders and getting a lot of secondary scoring which is crucial to success in the playoffs. My top 10 cup contenders currently are

1. Penguin
2. Predators
3. Bruins

4. Lightning
5. Jets
6. Leafs
7. Blues
8. Capitals

9. Ducks
10. Flames

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Vs. .500+ Teams (24 teams)

TOR: 44gms, 25-14-4, 54pts, .614pts%, +0.41gdiff/gm (16gms remaining)
BOS: 38gms, 21-10-7, 49pts, .645pts%, +0.47gdiff/gm (22gms remaining)

Vs. Sub-.500 Teams (7 teams)

TOR: 14gms, 9-5-0, 18pts, .643pts%, +0.79gdiff/gm (8gms remaining)
BOS: 16gms, 13-2-1, 27pts, .844pts%, +1.77gdiff/gm (6gms remaining)

Boston and their veteran core really took care of business against the dregs of the league.. Just hammered them. Toronto's young core probably lacked a bit of discipline when it came to those same games, and they passed up some points.

That and we get no power plays. Even the players have forgotten what it is.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Wishful thinking, kiddo.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
You're right, that was a bit of an exaggeration lol

Although with the way they're playing those 4 games in hand have the potential to put the Bruins in a much bigger lead points wise.

Let's see how 40yo Chara, 2 rookies and 2 slugs handle 27 games in 51 days. Will be fun for the team to enjoy those extra games and gain more lead in the conference when playing three long road trips during that time span.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't really buy into Toronto's record against teams XYZ.

When you're a team like the Leafs, everyone gets up to play you. That's just the way it is, and the way it will always be.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
I looked at that thread. What did I say that was so gotcha to bump a thread. Living in Ontario I see them as Ontario's team. Get over yourself... They were a compelling underdog last year that won 2 rds, 11 games in the playoffs that got off to a good start. How many playoff rds did the Leafs win? Oh okay, that didn't work out well for you...Ontario's team. lol BTW Have you posted in the Jets forum lately?
Literally this doesn't matter. Toronto played Washington, The Presidents' Trophy winning team. Who did Ottawa play? The Boston Bruins, who honestly barely deserved to be in the playoffs, the New York Rangers, who I'll admit were good in the regular season, but are now in a rebuild mentality, and the Pittsburgh Penguins, who they lost to. Now this year? Ottawa is vying for the first OA pick, and Toronto is six points behind Tampa Bay for first in the NHL. Also, Ottawa has only been back in the NHL for about 26 years. Toronto has stayed for all 101. Ottawa also has a very uncertain future, while Toronto isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Yep Ottawa is definitely Ontario's team.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Let's see how 40yo Chara, 2 rookies and 2 slugs handle 27 games in 51 days. Will be fun for the team to enjoy those extra games and gain more lead in the conference when playing three long road trips during that time span.

Carlo is an insanely fluid skater(slug).... McAvoy (rookie) is a tank that barely breaks a sweat playing 1st pairing minutes. McQuaid is the only slow skater,i'll give you that one. BUT Boston has K.Miller and O'Gara as reserves, so they have absolutely nothing to worry about.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Also does anyone else see Florida as a legitimate 2nd WC team?
Not me.
I don't get Florida. They've had "Great Young Players" for 15 years and never go anywhere. That thing they pulled 2 years ago was odd. They finally have a breakthrough season. What do they do? Change EVERYTHING! Fire the coach!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I find it interesting seeing all the threads pop up recently about whether Toronto is a disappointment or if their fans overestimated their players in the offseason, blah, blah, blah. I'm not really sure what more anyone could ask? Last year they featured 7 rookies (over a third of the team). This year it features the same as second year players. To date as a team they are on pace to set the franchise record for points in a season. They sit 6th overall in points percentage, 4th overall in goal differential, 2nd overall in goals for and 5th overall in PK. Recently their PP took a dive (they were a league leader there too) so that's something that needs to be worked on and they need to drive the GA down (only average there).

Individually you have:

Matthews on pace for 79 points. 3rd in the league for GPG, 6th in the league for +/- and 14th in the league for faceoffs (min 500) with a bunch of other top level stats when it comes to advanced side.

Marner on pace for 63 pts (would be one of a small handful to ever put up two 60+ point seasons before turning 21).

Nylander also on pace for 63 points.

Reilly on pace for 53 points.

Andersen 2nd in wins, 1st in saves, 4th in SV% (min 35 GP), 10th GAA (min 35 GP), 4th in SO.

Again, not sure what it is other fans are expecting of a team this young (its core)? They can certainly play better but when they do, it could be scary.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
this is getting incredibly tight and entertaining.

it's not impossible that the 3 Atlantic teams finish 1-2-3 in the league.

and Tampa grip on 1st is loosening. I could see any of the 3 teams win the division at this point.

Reactions: MajorLeafsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->