The Atlantic Division

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Feast or famine. 2 top elite teams in the NHL. Or 2 bottom 2 teams and everything in between.

TB and Boston are 1 and 2 in points % in the entire NHL.

1. TB .708
2. Boston .706

Then at the other end you have.

29. Ottawa .358
30. Buffalo .311

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
tb and bos can beat any playoff team in a series, and leafs can hold their own against any team

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think Boston and Tampa are a tier above Toronto but Toronto is not an average team in the league. Toronto is a good team in the same tier as Dallas, Washington, St. Louis among others. Toronto beat Nashville tonight but our keeper carried us. Nashville is one of the top teams in the league with Tampa and Boston.

The OP is right though that Toronto has over 40% of its remaining games against the 5 weaker teams in the east and may make a run at the end of the year.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think Boston and Tampa are a tier above Toronto but Toronto is not an average team in the league. Toronto is a good team in the same tier as Dallas, Washington, St. Louis among others. Toronto beat Nashville tonight but our keeper carried us. Nashville is one of the top teams in the league with Tampa and Boston.

The OP is right though that Toronto has over 40% of its remaining games against the 5 weaker teams in the east and may make a run at the end of the year.

Seems mostly fair. I mean, it's hard to argue we're not a good team, when you consider our .616 points percentage is 7th in the league.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
The Leafs would be 1st in the Metro, 2nd in the Pacific, and 3rd in the Central (also currently 3rd in the Atlantic). But they are apparently an average team. Wow.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
tb and bos can beat any playoff team in a series, and leafs can hold their own against any team

Not really fair imo. I think play flavoured Toronto the first half of the game, but Nashville swung it back in the second half, and much harder.

Ultimately, the Leafs bent, but didn't break.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I think we're around even. This however doesn't work as an argument. Unless you think Buffalo was better than the Sharks a few years back.

If St. Louis and Toronto played in a playoff series, would you be confident? Toronto would probably be the easiest series St. Louis could get.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If St. Louis and Toronto played in a playoff series, would you be confident? Toronto would probably be the easiest series St. Louis could get.

We would be meeting in the cup final so I dont think it would be THAT easy....

:D

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The way the schedule is made for whatever reason is they save most of the divisional games for later in the year. I've heard this myth in 4 or 5 threads also(1 in particular where it basically got repeated for 3 pages straight). At the end of the year sure maybe the top Atlantic teams may benefit but they haven't right now.

Not sure how much I'd say teams like Boston, Tampa and Montreal have benefitted either. Sure they have a lot of points against those teams, but the games aren't drastically higher than a Toronto and a lot of non Atlantic teams(2 or 3 more), they've just done a better job at taking advantage of them. I guess maybe benefit is the right word, but it just feels wrong, oppurtunity to benefit feels more like the thing we should be measuring. If 2 teams played 12 games against bad teams, 1 team went 12-0 and the other goes 6-6 it isn't really fair to say the first team is higher in the standings because they'd beaten up on bad teams more(which is true) when the lower team had the same opportunity to but failed to achieve the same success. I feel like pure games played against those 5 bad teams would be a better thing to list them by. If you don't win them while another team does then that's your own fault. Leafs would be still about middle of the pack showing they haven't had any great more opportunities that other teams have. Boston and Tampa would be near the top but not as much as they will be at the end of the year when the true advantage will be shown(when all the Atlantic teams will have the most games against other Atlantic teams).

Reactions: wintersej

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Yes. You could also get lots of easier opponents than us.

Not for the style of play. Toronto just can't play with good defensive teams. Sure, they can match up well against teams like washington and other offensive teams, but they don't know what to do against teams that play a system.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
ITT goalies are no longer part of the team, becuase reasons.
Did anybody say that? No so use your head. You're holding up one game in which ONE GUY (The one that influences wins and losses more than any other player on the team) stole the game while the other 20 some players got outplayed pretty heavily. Terrible game to hold up as an example of why the Atlantic isn't a weak division.

Read next time, the discussion wasn't about whether on not a goaltender is part of the team or not. I'm willing to bet most of us here know that.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

I’d like that, with the Blues being one of the few likeable teams out there. Even if the Leafs lose, I’d be satisfied with a Blues’ win.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Gone pretty quite from the Metro and the mighty west. Yup Atlantic sucks = 3 top teams out of 6 = garbage lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad