The Athletic SF/SJ coverage of Sharks

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I think the comparison with Brodie is spot on. When Brodie started, there was literally a thread on here called "I Hate Brodie Brazil." How did Brodie respond? First, by not taking it too seriously, although he was probably disappointed and offended by it. Secondly, and far more importantly, not by being standoffish, not by saying 'well **** you too,' but by engaging positively with the fans and earning respect.

Kurz is capable of good reporting. He has written articles that have really impressed me. For me, it's the smug attitude and the apparent inability to be the bigger person and avoid dustups with some of the anonymous blabbermouths on here and elsewhere that criticize him that make me dislike him.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I think the comparison with Brodie is spot on. When Brodie started, there was literally a thread on here called "I Hate Brodie Brazil." How did Brodie respond? First, by not taking it too seriously, although he was probably disappointed and offended by it. Secondly, and far more importantly, not by being standoffish, not by saying 'well **** you too,' but by engaging positively with the fans and earning respect.

Kurz is capable of good reporting. He has written articles that have really impressed me. For me, it's the smug attitude and the apparent inability to be the bigger person and avoid dustups with some of the anonymous blabbermouths on here and elsewhere that criticize him that make me dislike him.

I used to HATE Brody and now I love him because of exactly this. One day I woke up and realized I actually enjoyed watching him

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I used to dislike Brodie a lot too, but he made an effort and his passion for the Sharks showed and now I really enjoy him. It's not hard to win over sports fans.

Kurz' attitude was so off-putting and unprofessional, it was a wonder to me that he worked for the Sharks for so long. It would have been nice if he'd at least pretended to enjoy his job, which I'm sure many of us would kill for, instead using it to feed his superiority complex.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
What I'd like to know regarding this whole situation, is how notice Kevin gave NBC Bay Area. They don't have a beat writer right now, and he was still technically working for them as camp started. They haven't released a single article yet, and save for some highlights and a few videos with Brodie, they've had no coverage. Hopefully they get someone soon.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The thing that always rubbed me the wrong way about Kurz is that he never, ever gave off the impression that he gave a crap about the team he was covering or the audience it was for. I mean, I could at least respect him if I genuinely thought that he really gave a damn about the team even if his opinions were archaic. Like there are plenty of posters here that I would disagree with far more than I agree with but I at least know that they're here for the same reason I am and that's because they love the team. In Kurz's case, he always felt like a guy here to do his job and collect a paycheck. That's all fine and dandy but it's not going to earn much respect in this kind of field.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Well, I just bought a subscription. Whether you like or dislike the reporters over there, it is pretty clearly the best place to get Sharks news. $4 a month is a pretty good price for everything that they're offering. Hope I'm not disappointed.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was thinking about buying a subscription but I really don't read that much long form articles. I'm more of an audio guy, which is why I'm always looking for Good Hockey Podcasts. I hope we get word on MvsW soon, as to compliment the PDOcast I wanted to give the BobCast a try. I haven't found many non-vulger but fun hockey shows yet.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Well, I just bought a subscription. Whether you like or dislike the reporters over there, it is pretty clearly the best place to get Sharks news. $4 a month is a pretty good price for everything that they're offering. Hope I'm not disappointed.

I think its a good deal even if you're just a sports fan but it's way better if there's a focus on a sport/team you like like we do.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I think its a good deal even if you're just a sports fan but it's way better if there's a focus on a sport/team you like like we do.

I agree. For those on the fence, when you subscribe they ask you to select the leagues and teams that you want to follow, and then allow you to click between different pages based on said teams and leagues.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Honestly the subscription is worth it just to get solid non-sharks hockey coverage. They have a pretty solid group of writers

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
To be honest I was never really a big fan of Kurz, but his articles with the Athletic have been pretty good.

I think the longer format suits him more than just a regular beat writer who needs to pump out 10 stories a week.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I agree. It looks like he is going to be the "regular" Sharks reporter, as he posts a story more or less every morning. He's doing a nice job. Great piece on Ward yesterday.

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I ended up signing up for the annual subscription today. I don't care much about the Bay Area teams outside of the Sharks but it appears that there is a national coverage as well and not just restricted to the Sharks. Will give my opinions on the articles once I get around to reading them.

My hope is that they end up adding coverage for atleast some of the other teams I follow:

Packers
Seahawks
Sounders
Red Sox
University of Washington (Football)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad