TV: The Americans Final Season

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
Great episode, really seemed to set-up the final season.

Only gripe - high school hockey players in the US were wearing full face masks in 1987 and had been for a while.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Agree with the above, the table is set for the season. I don't want to spoil the episode by saying too much, but I hope there's something going on with Stan's girlfriend and that doesn't turn out to be a red herring.

Also, had to laugh at Philip taking out his car stereo...forgot that was a thing back then.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Matthew Rhys directed this episode, thus he was a minor character last night. Elizabeth's body count is rising....she's completely broken at this point. How many ops does she have running anyway?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
They’re doing a hell of a job with the make-up, Elizabeth and Phillip look absolutely destroyed at this point. I’m happy that Elizabeth didn’t have to do anything to Claudia.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's over, and the finale was beautifully done. Really glad that Stan got his moment. Noah Emmerich deserves at least an Emmy nomination for his work on this series. Phillip and Stan's confrontation was so many years in the making, and played out so perfect. Add this one to the perfect finale list, with The Shield and The Sopranos. So good.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
The garage scene was top notch and the train scene was one last surprise which I didn't see coming. Outstanding finale and really thoughtfully done and emotionally devistating for the characters (and viewers).

There's some really good interviews with the cast and show runners about the series finale.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I hardly watch TV or movies anymore, but this was one of the last shows I've been sticking with for the past few years. It's a shame to see it finally end, but it was worth it. Firmly in my top 5.

All the speculation you would see in regards to the ending is who is going to kill who, or how they're going to get caught, and ultimately they manage to escape back home but they lose something of greater value than their lives. That was a heartbreaking conclusion, for everyone involved, including Stan and Oleg. At least they seem to have prevented the coup from happening.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They didn’t tie everything up but I assume that history is meant to fill in the blanks.

Poignant ending.

No shootouts or car chases or foot races.

It’s the kind of espionage storyline that really resonates.

Reminded me of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Last edited:

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Emotional finale. Thought this season was gonna be 13 episodes. The pace ramped up big time in the last 3-4 episodes to compensate. Felt a tad bit rushed but it was still a very good ending.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Also....what's up with Paige? Stan KNOWS, she can't just go back to school, can she? Would Stan play dumb about that, too?
Stan assumes she left the country, he doesn't know she was involved in spying, Paige has at least some level of knowledge to stay off the grid which was easier in 1987 than today, and Stan can't risk letting the FBI know he let someone go. Those are all reasons Paige can go and do whatever without much risk of being found out.

Mar 1, 2002
Paige told him in the garage that she knew. Plus, the rest of the agency would FULLY investigate her, find out about the aide she slept with, find out she kicked a couple guys ass in a bar....you know they will fully question Pastor Tim and he could rat her out, too.

Her parents were gone, her handler was gone (hence the empty house she went to) and she didn't know any other spies, as far as we know. Who would she reach out to?

Mar 1, 2002

Rhys was so brilliant here. His long speech in the middle was so well done. When he said "Stan, I have to abandon my son."..that whole part was my favorite part of the whole series.

Reactions: glovesave_35

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
The one answer we didn't get that I wish we had gotten was if Renee was an illegal. I'd say yes.
I think this was beautifully handled by the writers and Holden to keep this so open ended that people will see what they want and draw their own conclusions.

Even though the previous is a spoiler, I'll use a tag for my next thought on the finale.

Oof, that gut punch with Paige on the platform as With or Without You peaks...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->