The American women are upset over Canada's stats padding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Give me a ****ing break. Why don't the US Women's team worry about their own team. Sure the Canadians scored 16 and 12 but they could have easily hit 25 in either game.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Jazz said:
The team with the higher goal differential is going to get last-change during the Gold Medal game, so either blame the IIHF for using this rule (and thus forcing teams to run up the score), or suggest another idea...

last change makes absolutely no difference in womens hockey when the talent is so bad that it doesnt matter whos on the ice

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Jimmi Jenkins said:
Hey if you look back 40 -50 years ago, Canada destroyed everyone in Men's hockey, it just took time for the other countries to catch up and that's the same in women's hockey now. The other countries just have to catch up.

I don't see communist governments taking over in those countries anytime soon :sarcasm:

Seriously, how is interest in women's hockey going to spread when fans go to see their team play and they just get spanked 16-0. Although watching a team just putz around after going up 6-0 would be boring as heck too.

PEli*

What a bunch of whiners. I guess they'll have to use their practice ice time today working on a time machine so they can go back and make up the difference in goal differential. Suckers.

This is a two horse race, as usual. So get home ice advantage and that ever important last change. Use it to beat the other horse. All you have to do is beat the tar out of the mules on the way.

Jazz

Metallian said:
Jazz said:
The team with the higher goal differential is going to get last-change during the Gold Medal game, so either blame the IIHF for using this rule (and thus forcing teams to run up the score), or suggest another idea...
last change makes absolutely no difference in womens hockey when the talent is so bad that it doesnt matter whos on the ice
Are you telling me that last change will make no difference in a Gold Medal game between Canada and the US? :eek:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Bileur said:
What about distance running. You know its going to be
1. Kenya
2. Ethiopia
3. Kenya
4. Kenya
5. Ethiopia
6. Ethiopia
7. Ethiopia
8. Kenya
9. Maybe Germany or something

Once the countries time required to develop their players they'll be competitive. Its only a matter of time. I was pretty impressed by Italy considering the extremely young defense (one 15yo) and first olympics and all. Other stats that were intersting ~250 registered women playing hockey in Russia. ~ 60000 in Canada

There are a lot of sports where some countries are very good. But there is a significant difference here, the rest of the field in any of them aren't horrible. You think the marathon would be included if three kenyans ran in 2h5m and everyone else ran in 3 hours? Because thats womens hockey.

Look at basketball. There are dominant countries there but there are at least twenty nations that are somewhat good at it.

Ever heard about a sport called Bandy. It is like an exact copy of womens hockey. Sweden, Russia and Finland dominate. Then there are ten countries that get annihalated by those three. Want that to be an olympic sport also? It has much longer tradition than womens hockey. How about cricket? Indoor bandy?

The olympics shouldn't be an incubator for sports that are too weak to stand on their own. And womens hockey definately is just that.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
If you watched the games, you would know that Canada wasn't "running up the score". They cut back the ice time on most of their premier players after the first period. If they had put the pedal to the metal, particularly against Italy, they could have hit 35-0.
US women whining because their stats aren't as pretty...
:shakehead

Hashmark

Nov 25, 2005
First of all, Canada really did back off about 5 minutes into the Italy game, and after the first period against Russia. They could have easily scored another 10 goals on Italy, and probably as many against Russia, if they were giving it everything they had.

Secondly, I don't see any benefit for anyone if they held the score to 5-0 or 8-0.. The fans, in person and on TV, don't want to see two defensemen passing the puck back and forth playing monkey-in-the-middle for 50 minutes!

When you realize that one team is outclassed, and there's no hope for a real competition, should they just call off the game? No - let them put on a clinic.

As for the competing teams, yeah, it's hard not to feel bad. But I don't think Italy had a big problem with it - they seemed quite excited to have the opportunity to play with the people that are the true superstars in the sport they love.

Russia, on the other hand, seemed a bit more upset. But it's this kind of game that might embarass Russia into actually developing female hockey players. In all of Russia - the great hockey nation - there's a total of 250 female hockey players. Maybe that's what they should be embarassed about.

It's going to take a long time, but imagine how great it will feel for Russia to beat Canada in the Gold medal game in 2018!

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Interesting that the USA women were not so "sportmanslike" in the last Olympics, when they beat Germany and China by a combined score of 22-1 in their first two games.
Maybe they have just grown as people, right? It couldn't be they are jealous of another team having stats as good or, gasp, better than theirs, eh?

bling

Jun 23, 2004
SectionX said:

In the first place, sectionx, your topic title is misleading and trollish. The article quotes only one US player commenting on the Canadians running up the score. No where does it say that she us speaking for the whole team. In fact if you would bother to read the whole article you will see that Hayley Wickenheiser agrees with her....

PEli*

Freudian said:
The olympics shouldn't be an incubator for sports that are too weak to stand on their own. And womens hockey definately is just that.

What are you talking about? Over half of the Olympic events don't exist without the Olympics. May as well include bandy. The Olympics are all about regional domination anyway. There are precious few events that can be taken by different nations each Olympic year.

Sorry to turn this into an excuse to dissect the Olympics but I'm not seeing the point here. Without the Olympics, would there still be an International tournament of bobsledding? Probably not. This is the point. Use the Olympics to build interest and athletic skill among countries. Somebody has to get beat up on for a while.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Again, not competing to the most of its habilities is contrary to olympic spirit....

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Summary of the article: I need to blame someone for my own shortcomings.

Jazz

MooseHunter said:
oh ffs... you guys don't think the men's hockey wasn't like this the first few olympics?

Canada beat Czechslovakia 40-0 in 1920. I highly doubt people whinned back then.
Exactly! :clap: Like I said above, the world waited 40-odd years for the men's side to reach a semblance of competitiveness....

MooseHunter said:
besides, Canada's game against Italy could have been a helluva lot higher if it hadn't been for the first Italian goalie. She was brilliant. I'm sorry, but the Italian women didn't belong in this tournament, considering some of them can't even skate properly.
Also consider that Italy is C-pool (or Div II) country, and are only here because they are the host nation.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
PEli said:
What are you talking about? Over half of the Olympic events don't exist without the Olympics. May as well include bandy. The Olympics are all about regional domination anyway. There are precious few events that can be taken by different nations each Olympic year.

Sorry to turn this into an excuse to dissect the Olympics but I'm not seeing the point here. Without the Olympics, would there still be an International tournament of bobsledding? Probably not. This is the point. Use the Olympics to build interest and athletic skill among countries. Somebody has to get beat up on for a while.

Bobsled still has internation competitions outside the olympics. They have a world cup tour every year.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
i think it just shows that in international hockey the canadians want to show they are best so they just blow the bad teams out of the water. To me that shows no class at all, ive been very disapointed by the canadian fans since the world juniors when they booo'ed the USA national anthem, but now the players start to show no class like thier fans by not respecting their apponants by murdering them on the score sheet. If the Canadian women murder the next team they play, it will just give the americans and everyone else more reason to say they have no class. I think they have enough goals to get to the gold medal game without a tie braker. I wont be surprized if the Canadian men will run up the score agianst the bad teams either!

(Before you rid into what i said, i do live in Canada maybe i dont like how the fans and player are acting but i do like the players, well some)

I am Jack's Fish

bling said:
In the first place, sectionx, your topic title is misleading and trollish. The article quotes only one US player commenting on the Canadians running up the score. No where does it say that she us speaking for the whole team. In fact if you would bother to read the whole article you will see that Hayley Wickenheiser agrees with her....

Thanks for pointing out the actual intent and point of the article, and also that the candiancoach essentially agrees as well. The basic gist is that all quoted really want to see the rules changed.

But hey, insecure posters will always try to turn these kinds of articles into something they aren't.

And anyway, after reading the majority of the posts onwmens hockey, Ruggiero may be right, that Canada running the score up is turning a lot of people off of the idea of womens hockey...

Which of course will change when the two best teams meet up for the gold medal game.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Freudian said:
There are a lot of sports where some countries are very good. But there is a significant difference here, the rest of the field in any of them aren't horrible. You think the marathon would be included if three kenyans ran in 2h5m and everyone else ran in 3 hours? Because thats womens hockey.

If the results are the same, utter dominance year after year, there isnt much difference is there. I just see it as sour grapes. You cant prevent these women from trying to go represent for their countries. If by some act of god there is an upset this year the results would be rediculous.

Freudian said:
Look at basketball. There are dominant countries there but there are at least twenty nations that are somewhat good at it.

Whats the determining factor for "somewhat good"? The dream team was rediculousely dominant back in the day.

Freudian said:
Ever heard about a sport called Bandy. It is like an exact copy of womens hockey. Sweden, Russia and Finland dominate. Then there are ten countries that get annihalated by those three. Want that to be an olympic sport also? It has much longer tradition than womens hockey. How about cricket? Indoor bandy?

Why not cricket? Or Bandy? :dunno: I dont know how sports are chosen, seems to me that if theres a reasonable amount of teams willing to spend the money necessary to make a team and send them to the plympics they should be allowed to play.

Freudian said:

What do you mean by stand on their own? Where would track and field be without the olympics?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
PEli said:

There are a lot of events in bobsleigh. And you know what? More than two competitors can win in each of them.

Sure, the winter olympics is host to a lot of freaky sports (nordic combination anyone?). I don't see a lot of point in adding more ones, especially when the summer olympics are going in the opposite direction.

Since I am Swedish I don't mind it from a national perspective. We actually have a chance for a medal with a team that is horrible at the sport they are competing in. I think this kind of thinking is also a big reason for why Canadians sternly defend the sport in the Olympics. Hey, free gold!

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
knight44 said:
i think it just shows that in international hockey the canadians want to show they are best so they just blow the bad teams out of the water. To me that shows no class at all, ive been very disapointed by the canadian fans since the world juniors when they booo'ed the USA national anthem, but now the players start to show no class like thier fans by not respecting their apponants by murdering them on the score sheet. If the Canadian women murder the next team they play, it will just give the americans and everyone else more reason to say they have no class. I think they have enough goals to get to the gold medal game without a tie braker. I wont be surprized if the Canadian men will run up the score agianst the bad teams either!

(Before you rid into what i said, i do live in Canada maybe i dont like how the fans and player are acting but i do like the players, well some)

Impressive amount of generalisations for a single post.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Bileur said:
What do you mean by stand on their own? Where would track and field be without the olympics?

There are big events in track and field each season. Both championships and the Golden League events.

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
3 things about the woman's hockey.

1. I wonder if the US sent their own ref, like in Salt Lake, so they at least have a chance in the final.
2. I wonder if they still have the Canadian flag on their dressing room floor.
3. They really shouldn't have a silver medal in this event because when the US lose the final, they'll have beaten nobody.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
ranold26 said:
Summary of the article: I need to blame someone for my own shortcomings.

Another poster who can not or did not read the article....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->