The always important "translated surnames"-thread.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
BruinsGirl said:
Not completely... Ivanov would have advantage over Katz in equal situation.. Things changed for the better, but it was a reality.

That might be. But, for example, I'm almost certain that a Soviet defenseman Yuriy Liapkin was a Jew. But again, it might have been more difficult for them to get to the team.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
BruinsGirl said:
Not completely... Ivanov would have advantage over Katz in equal situation.. Things changed for the better, but it was a reality.

If someone were talented, he or she would make an Olympic team. Lastnames could be changed easily by the way. For example: some of the most decorated Soviet figure skaters like Irina Rodnina, Ludmila Belousova, Oleg Protopopov,and Gennadi Karponossov were Jews believe it or not.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Shurimor said:
Wasn't there a Czech player named Lala? I believe that he was a captain of the Czechoslovakia team in the 80s What does his lastname translate into?

jiri lala never capteined czechoslovakia team as long as i know. "lala" doesn't mean anything neither in czech nor in slovak. he scored emptynetter against canada in "final" wc prague 85. last czecholsovakia title :teach:

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
e-e said:
jiri lala never capteined czechoslovakia team as long as i know. "lala" doesn't mean anything neither in czech nor in slovak. he scored emptynetter against canada in "final" wc prague 85. last czecholsovakia title :teach:

Thanks

Talentless Practise*

Räikkönen, AFAIK means absolutely nothing, Häkki = a cage.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
BruinsGirl said:
It's also true that for men and women there are different forms

Example: Father Mikhail Ovechkin

Son: Aleksandr Mikhailovich Ovechkin
Daughter: Aleksandra Mikhailovna Ovechkina

Same applies for last names ending as ov , ev Frolov/Frolova

I wonder what happens/has happened down the years with Russians emigrating to others countries. Let's say a third/fourth generation Russian man living in US named Mikhailov marries a local girl named Smith. The man doesn't even speak Russian any more and they want to have the same surname Mikhailov.

Does this happen more and more, and does it sound weird to Russians? I can't think now any Russian female names without the -a suffix, but surely there must be some?

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
SneakerPimp82 said:
Kiprusoff sounds like it could be Kiprusov. In that case could Kiprus mean anything in russian? I know Kipr is Cyprus in russian, any link with that?

The only word that comes close is the word "kiparis" which means a plant cypress. Since this word doesn't have Russian origin, I think that the Kiprus part comes from the Finnish\Swedish, but the end part "off" comes from the Russian.

The "off" (the westrenized ending) or "ov" simply means a "family relationship" For example, Volkov means that a person is of Volk family.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
gary69 said:
I wonder what happens/has happened down the years with Russians emigrating to others countries. Let's say a third/fourth generation Russian man living in US named Mikhailov marries a local girl named Smith. The man doesn't even speak Russian any more and they want to have the same surname Mikhailov.

Does this happen more and more, and does it sound weird to Russians? I can't think now any Russian female names without the -a suffix, but surely there must be some?

Not even in 3th/4th generation... I know some women who started to use musculine form of their last name instead of feminine.

It sounds a bit weird for russian ear, but it's more convinient for many purposes, like medical insurance for the same family etc.

Fawkes

Jan 16, 2006
Bonkers said:
The -nen also only applies to words ending in a wovel (don't know how to write it but a,e,i,o,u,y,ä,ö).

Some others:

Pitkänen - pitkä = tall, long
Miettinen - miettiä = to think, to ponder
Kiprusoff - kipru = a jerk, soff = off
Peltonen - pelto = a field

Kipru doesn´t mean anything.

HoverCarle*

french names:
gagne- win, or won
lecavalier- the cavalier
beauchemin- beautiful path or beautiful way
brodeur- embroiderer
lemieux- the best
desjardins-some gardens
fleury- flower-y
roy- king

acr*

The Czech translation for Jiri Slegr is "Obstruction:Hooking"

On a serious note, can you Russian experts tell me what Samsonov means(and don't say "Injury Prone" :sarcasm:)

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
BruinsGirl said:
Yes it's true... Although it's not exactly a middle name. You can't use it separately. It's even called otchestvo from otec (father).

It's also true that for men and women there are different forms

Example: Father Mikhail Ovechkin

Son: Aleksandr Mikhailovich Ovechkin
Daughter: Aleksandra Mikhailovna Ovechkina

Same applies for last names ending as ov , ev Frolov/Frolova

Ukrainian Last names ending with -chuck (Kovalchuck) or with -o (Kovalenko) don't change because of gender.

Oh :(

There goes any hope that Kovalchuk's kid is going by the moniker Karolina llyaeva Kevalchukeva

:(

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
BruinsGirl said:
I think it's only specific to Latvia. ( In Litva (Lithuania) it's -avichus ) Estonian belongs to completely different Ugro-Finnish language group.

Very often Russian people living in Latvia use latvian form of their names

Examle: Sergey Zholtok - Sergeys Zholtoks

Of course there are genuine latvian names... From what I remember there are last names that end not with -s-.

Some group of last names changes depending on gender...

Ozolinsh will be for men and
Ozolinte for women.

Non-Latvians don't really have a choice whether to add an "s" to their names when they take a Latvian passport.

Their names change (congragate?) depending on context of a sentence. But in neutoral gender, male's names always end with "s" and female's with either "a" or "e'". For some stupid reason, they do it to anyone who is taking a Latvian passport.

Martin Brodeur becomes Martins Brodeurs, SC --> Sidneys Crosbys, Saku Koivu --> Sakus Koivus, etc... :shakehead

Vers

Feb 26, 2006
-Nen irrelevant and means nothing? Isn't words that ends -nen adjectives?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this has been said before.

VladNYC*

There is a czech who's name is Prucha. I means Good luck in russian, nothing in the czech or slovak tho from what i hear.

I laughed really hard the other day when i heard "Prospal missed the puck" and my american friends thought i went insane.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Vladiator said:
Non-Latvians don't really have a choice whether to add an "s" to their names when they take a Latvian passport.

Their names change (congragate?) depending on context of a sentence. But in neutoral gender, male's names always end with "s" and female's with either "a" or "e'". For some stupid reason, they do it to anyone who is taking a Latvian passport.

Martin Brodeur becomes Martins Brodeurs, SC --> Sidneys Crosbys, Saku Koivu --> Sakus Koivus, etc... :shakehead
Saku Koivu is Saku Koivu in Latvian.

SC would be Sidnijs Krosbijs... and I can't see anything wrong with that, I mean "Ozolinsh" does not have an 'h' in Latvian...

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Vers said:
-Nen irrelevant and means nothing? Isn't words that ends -nen adjectives?

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this has been said before.

Ah, there's a problem in perception here. Finnish adjectives can be almost any type..
Example.
pehmeä, kevyt, kehittynyt, ryhdikäs.
Or one that is and isn't: Väritön / Värillinen (colourless, with colour or coloured)

nen can indicate posession, like Värillinen, diminutive Laaksonen (son of Laakso), or posession Laaksonen (from the laakso (valley)). You'd have to track down Mr Laaksonen from the 1800's and ask which he meant if you wanted to know which is the one the name means.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Ah, there's a problem in perception here. Finnish adjectives can be almost any type..
Example.
pehmeä, kevyt, kehittynyt, ryhdikäs.
Or one that is and isn't: Väritön / Värillinen (colourless, with colour or coloured)

nen can indicate posession, like Värillinen, diminutive Laaksonen (son of Laakso), or posession Laaksonen (from the laakso (valley)). You'd have to track down Mr Laaksonen from the 1800's and ask which he meant if you wanted to know which is the one the name means.

Lucky for you guys I have a time machine.

Jobaas

Feb 20, 2006
Baron Von Shark said:
What about these names?

Nils Ekman

Marcus Ragnarsson

Ekman = ek = Oak and man = man so Oak-man
Ragnarsson = ragnar (is an old viking name and means in ancient nordic language warrior of gods) and son

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad