The Allan Cup

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Allan Cup is the Canadian senior men's hockey championship. (Usually contested by players between the ages of 21 and 35).

During the Second World War, many of the NHL's best players competed for the Allan Cup with army/navy/air force teams. Thus, the competition for the Allan Cup was often stiffer for the Stanley Cup. Even before the war, the Allan Cup offered high-end hockey that was at a comparable level to the Stanley Cup, as many players played in the NHL for a few years, then balanced senior hockey with a normal, full-time job.

I don't know of any current NHLers who have won an Allan Cup. It would mean a player would have played senior hockey at some point before reaching the show. With the number of teams at junior, college and minor pro levels in North America, plus pro teams in Europe, there are hundreds of options for players nowadays. They generally wouldn't look at senior hockey until all of these options are exhausted.

Many of you will remember that Theo Fleury played in the Allan Cup last year, reaching the tournament semi-final with Alberta's Horse Lake Thunder. (That team also included former NHL enforcer Gino Odjick and former San Jose Sharks pick Todd Holt). Pat Falloon, the No. 2 pick in the 1991 Draft, was a member of a southwest Manitoba senior team when they won the tournament in 2003.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
You could say that Horse Lake tried exactly that last year.

They don't even have a team this year.

I watched Fleury play one game last year and he didn't stand out at all. Its a pretty high level of hockey, especially when you get to teams that are good enough to compete for the Allan Cup.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Leaf Lander said:
So if a senior team stacked themselves with retired nhl players they could all hold a very old hockey trophy

is there an age restrictions because 35 is pretty young especially now a days
I don't believe there is any upper age restriction fo Senior Hockey but you do have to be at least 21. Any younger & you would play junior. A lot of retired NHL palyers have played for the Allan cup. A notable one is the great Toronto Winger Syd Smith who won the Allan cup with Whitby in 1957. Until the mid 60's, it was the Allan cup winner who represented Canada at the Olympics & the world Championships. The team I remember most is the 1957 Whitby dunlops wh regained the title for canada.

The Allan Cup has been contested since 1906 & next to the Stanley is probably the oldest hockey cup,

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Leaf Lander said:
So if a senior team stacked themselves with retired nhl players they could all hold a very old hockey trophy

is there an age restrictions because 35 is pretty young especially now a days
The Dundas (Hamilton) Real McCoys tried the same thing in 2002 or 2003 when they hosted the Allen Cup. I remember Rick Vaive being one of the players on their team, but there were at least one or two other ex-NHLers.

MacDaddy TLC*

Thunder Bay has won the most Allan Cups. The Port Arthur Bearcats (I think) won it some time in the 40s. The Twins won in 75. The Twins were a power house in the 80s winning 4. Last year some of the boys through a team together in January, played 6 games and wound up qualifying for the tournament. In a huge shocker, they knocked off Theoren Fleury and his Horsemouth Thunder and in the end won the Allan Cup.

Back in the day of 6 NHL teams, the Allan Cup winners were of such high calibre, that they might have been able to compete with the lower NHL echelon (Rags, Wins, and Hawks)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad