The All-Time Hype Draft

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Yes, Chris Phillips was hyped quite a bit and although he has grown to be a good defenseman, he is far from what some had projected him to be. I know some older Sens fans are likely disapointed as he was thought to be a franchise defenseman or close to it...

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yes, Chris Phillips was hyped quite a bit and although he has grown to be a good defenseman, he is far from what some had projected him to be. I know some older Sens fans are likely disapointed as he was thought to be a franchise defenseman or close to it...

He was hyped as the best player in a VERY WEAK DRAFT. Everyone was talking about how weak the draft was for over a year before it happened. And everyone still talks about how weak a draft year it was. Phillips was hyped for that draft but was hyped as the best of a very weak bunch.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Some hype jobs from recent drafts that haven't been mentioned, as well as clarifications on others:

-Phil Kessel was the guy who received the most hype. Johnson went first overall, but Kessel was the apple of the scouts' eyes after an impressive WJC performance at 17. Johnson really didn't move into that top spot until the 2005-06 WJC. Backstrom also elevated his status with a great WJC.

-This draft was about one man: Sidney Crosby. The Crosby hype started three years earlier, when he led the Halifax Metro AAA League in scoring at age 15, and led his team to a birth in the national Midget AAA final.
-There really wasn't anybody who received a wealth of attention. It was Crosby's draft. Brule was a player who garnered a lot of attention a couple years in advance, though.

-How hyped was Ovechkin? If he was born a day earlier, he would have gone No. 1 in 2003. In fact, some scouts were saying that Ovechkin at 16 was better than any prospect who was available in 2002.
-The Malkin hype started during his draft year. In the year before the draft, it was Ovechkin and everyone else. Malkin forced his way into consideration. He has since justified the hype.
-One name not mentioned yet is Robbie Schremp. He was on the scouts radar since an eye-catching performance at the Quebec peewee tournament. He drew comparisons to Guy LaFleur at one point. But he struggled at times in his draft year, and drew concerns about his attitude.

-There wasn't really that ultra-hyped prospect in 2003. There were just a lot of guys that a lot of scouts loved. Lots of high-end prospects. If anyone, I'd say the most-hyped player was Staal. He was a top player in the OHL for three years.

-Before the 2001 Draft, it was said "I don't know who'll go No. 1 in 2001, but I know who'll go No. 1 in 2002: Jay Bouwmeester." There hasn't been a more hyped defenceman in many years than Bouwmeester. The Bobby Orr comparisons started when he was in midget. THN wrote about him at 15. At that time, players in Medicine Hat would say "If only we had Bouwmeester in the lineup." (Back when Medicine Hat was a perennial last place team). Few have ever had his combination of size and mobility. He just doesn't have that creativity of Orr, Coffey or even Robinson. (The prototype for big, mobile defenders). He was the consensus No. 1 on every list, except for Columbus.

-The Spezza hype machine started in 1998, when he played for Brampton at age 15. Kovalchuk's hype started a couple years later. Both have justified their lofty draft position, even if they don't fulfill the expectations that some had for them. (Kovalchuk as the game's premier offensive winger, Spezza as the top offensive centre).
-Two goalies had a lot of hype, though: Dan Blackburn and Pascal LeClaire. We'll never know how good Blackburn could have been. I believe he was the top goalie in the CHL in 2000 - before his draft year. Some scouts had LeClaire as the top player available before the start of the 2000-01 season. Many scouts thought they would be better than DiPietro.

-While DiPietro will be remembered as the first goalie to go No. 1, he wasn't the most hyped prospect. Dany Heatley was No. 1 on most lists. But the player who received the most overall hype was Marian Gaborik. Scouts were raving about his stellar play after the 1999 WJC in Winnipeg, when Slovakia won a surprised bronze medal. He was the consensus top pick a year before the draft. But he struggled in his draft year, especially at the WJC, when the Slovak team imploded.

I'll post some thoughts on some other prospects later.

Transported Upstater

Brian Fogarty. Sad tale that one.

I remember when he was in Quebec, and Mats Sundin had a quote something along the lines of "(Fogarty) could skate faster, pass better and shoot harder drunk than the rest of us could sober."

Very sad story. :(

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Brian Fogarty. Sad tale that one.

Really sad tale. If I remember correctly one of the biggest reasons he started drinking was because he had a social anxiety disorder. I often wonder what he could have done had he been able to kick his habit early in his life, or better yet, never have gotten started. If you are able to watch old clips of him playing you could see just what a special player he was going to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad