The All Purpose Thread | Relevant Rivalries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Watching Horny live last Thursday, as tenacious and valuable as he is, my God does he ever have blinders on.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I’m a little upset with Sullivan’s line choices. Sheary isn’t very good without Crosby and Rust isn’t very good with Crosby. I’d definitely like to see ZAR playing top nine minutes over Sheary.

Either of these lineups are good IMO

Guentzel-Crosby-ZAR
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhnhackl

Sheary-Crosby-ZAR
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Rust

Lineup #2 can have Sheary in place of Rust if the first line looks bad.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hope ZAR gets back soon to slot in to that 3LW spot if we aren't keeping Rust there. And if we're moving Rust, I wish we were putting him back with Hags and Geno. Not that I want to split up HGH, but HGR was also really good, and Horny has always been much better than Rust with Sid. But hey, maybe 43rd times the charm for Sid and Rust. Here's hoping.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yep so good he couldn't stick and has been a healthy scratch numerous times in the AHL. If he was playing so well with Crosby, why wasn't he contributing to any of the scoring on that line (other than 1 game)?

There were only 7 other games. Could the sample size be any smaller? Brassard a bust here too then? 4 points in 9 games.

Sprong getting 2 goals and an assist in one game shows hes capable of producing ...who knows what he would have done if given another handful of games..maybe would have started scoring again.

Sheary goes months without a goal. Simon played 23 games...hasnt exactly lit up the scoreboard.

Sprong has the potential...and we have an opening in the lineup...

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
There were only 7 other games. Could the sample size be any smaller? Brassard a bust here too then? 4 points in 9 games.

Sprong getting 2 goals and an assist in one game shows hes capable of producing ...who knows what he would have done if given another handful of games..maybe would have started scoring again.

Sheary goes months without a goal. Simon played 23 games...hasnt exactly lit up the scoreboard.

Sprong has the potential...and we have an opening in the lineup...
No. He has had 26 games.

3 points in 1 game. Crosby had 14 points over that time. The other 11 he scored Sprong wasn't a part of. We were fighting for playoff spot. It doesn't seem to be the most opportune time to hope prospect (who has been a healthy scratch in WBS) figures it out. It's pretty obvious that it isn't like we are having problems scoring goals. So in what area would Sprong (at his current self) be helping us right now?

Sheary can't go down and Simon can play on the 3rd or 4th line.

There isn't a spot.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Oh god, I thought we were playing tonight. I dont know if I can take this much longer.

upload_2018-3-19_17-42-46.png

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You might as well send Sheary down if the line reads anything other than him playing on Crosby’s line.

The ineptitude our fourth line can already manage is magnified exponentially with Sheary on that line. He can look like a mixture of snow angel/fish out of water, at times.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'd put ZAR back with Sid when he comes back, they surprisingly looked good together. I'd try this but I doubt it happens

ZAR-Sid-Sprong/Simon
Hags-Geno-Horny
Jake-Brass-Phil
Sheary-Sheahan-Rust

I can't imagine many teams having that kind of depth and quality of depth.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I'd put ZAR back with Sid when he comes back, they surprisingly looked good together. I'd try this but I doubt it happens

ZAR-Sid-Sprong/Simon
Hags-Geno-Horny
Jake-Brass-Phil
Sheary-Sheahan-Rust

I can't imagine many teams having that kind of depth and quality of depth.
Id switch ZAR and Jake. Give Sid a guy hes proven with and gives line 3 some jam. And as much as we like to rag on Sheary, that fourth line looks like were cheating.

Lots of combos that could all possibly work with this team with the collection of forwards we have. Only a few wrong answers (Rust with Sid, Kuhn and Rowney together) and yet Sully seems to keep trying them.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You might as well send Sheary down if the line reads anything other than him playing on Crosby’s line.

The ineptitude our fourth line can already manage is magnified exponentially with Sheary on that line. He can look like a mixture of snow angel/fish out of water, at times.
people keep saying this, but Sheary's production with and without Sid has stayed pretty much consistent in all three of his seasons. This season, 62% of his ES points have come with Sid on the ice. He's spent 60% of his ES ice time with Sid. He has dropped off with everybody this year, but it's not really any worse away from Sid than with him.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Id switch ZAR and Jake. Give Sid a guy hes proven with and gives line 3 some jam. And as much as we like to rag on Sheary, that fourth line looks like were cheating.

Lots of combos that could all possibly work with this team with the collection of forwards we have. Only a few wrong answers (Rust with Sid, Kuhn and Rowney together) and yet Sully seems to keep trying them.
I think our first line gets pushed around too much without a guy like ZAR. I also think because he goes to the dirty areas it suits Sids game more. Jake and Phil had a few games together where they looked dynamic. A 3rd line of Jake-Brass-Phil is as good (on paper) as some teams first lines. They'd garner a lot of favorable match ups. Sure you can switch ZAR with Jake, but I'd try ZAR with Sid before the season ends if possible.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Sid and Jake has been a mixed bag. Early on good, but since it only comes on once in a bluemoon. They simply lose the puck too much. It's great and all when the team is going and teams lose all sense in whom to cover, while very good teams know it all starts with Sids line and will keep most of the attention on his line forcing the others to pick up the slack. Luckily, the Pens do have a couple lines to do just that, but if the D-side of the game gets in their way there just isn't any real good answer.

Give Sid ZAR. It's the closes of getting a Horny type player on the line who has a chance to hold onto the puck and a good net front presence.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I'm sorry that I was right at the deadline when I noted that Sid's RW was the team's biggest winger issue.
But still behind a center and depth defenseman. It would be nice to have found a fit for him, but after over a decade we should know how hard that is to find, so upgrading the pieces which are more of weaknesses were easier to fill.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Can ZAR or Jake play RW? If yes, I'd put them as Sid's wings when ZAR comes back. If not, I think I go back to Hags-Malkin-Rust and throw Horny with Sid and Jake. Then Phil with Brassard and ZAR. HGH is probably better than HGR, but I think it's a bigger upgrade to Sid's line than it is a downgrade to Geno's.

Here's hoping Rust just somehow clicks with Sid this time.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm sorry that I was right at the deadline when I noted that Sid's RW was the team's biggest winger issue.

The viable options are so limited I can see why Sully is trying to force square-holed Rust into round-holed Crosby.....
I just realized how kinky that sounds after I wrote it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad