The All Purpose Thread | Relevant Rivalries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good with me if that's the plan but why change if before then? It's not like Crosby-Rust duo has ever been that great.

Because apparently that’s what Sid wants....
If they’re going to do that, though, and I agree they shouldn’t, they definitely can’t put Sheary with Brass and Kessel...just not a good defensive line. Sully at least should try Jooris there until ZAR is ready...

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Word from Taylor Haase from DKPS is Sprong's benching was a one game thing intended to be used as a teaching tool, moreso than a punishment or a sign he's not one of the best 12 forwards in WBS. He, other than the one goal he scored recently, has been in a scoring drought though and does need some work on his decision making.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Word from Taylor Haase from DKPS is Sprong's benching was a one game thing intended to be used as a teaching tool, moreso than a punishment or a sign he's not one of the best 12 forwards in WBS. He, other than the one goal he scored recently, has been in a scoring drought though and does need some work on his decision making.

Honestly, at this point I’d take the risk and trade him for either a D solution that bumps Ruh to our # 7 or a similar prospect that plays LW and can potentially replace Hagelin when his contract is up.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sully cannot stop putting Rust with Sid. I get it... If you pick the player who deserves the promotion, it's Rust. I get it. But it hasn't worked for so long. So why do we try it 400 times?

Maybe it will strike magic like Hornqvist w/ Geno did. That failed to work about 250 times and then worked on 251.

You and I both know there's another reason that Geno and Horny suddenly found that magic . . . Hagelin.

Rust with Sid isn't quite as ugly as Sheary with Geno, but IF you must do it, then I'd rather Brassard-Sid-Rust, because (1) Brass and Phil are going to be **** with Sheary, (2) we know Jake-Sheahan-Phil works, and (3) Sully needs to think outside the box for a LW for Sid and Rust . . .

Jake isn't it. If you want to see Rust and Sid magically crystallize, then try a different third component other than Jake or Sheary (the only two Sully ever has tried).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, at this point I’d take the risk and trade him for either a D solution that bumps Ruh to our # 7 or a similar prospect that plays LW and can potentially replace Hagelin when his contract is up.

Nobody could've foreseen where this was headed with Sprong. Nobody.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You and I both know there's another reason that Geno and Horny suddenly found that magic . . . Hagelin.

Rust with Sid isn't quite as ugly as Sheary with Geno, but IF you must do it, then I'd rather Brassard-Sid-Rust, because (1) Brass and Phil are going to be **** with Sheary, (2) we know Jake-Sheahan-Phil works, and (3) Sully needs to think outside the box for a LW for Sid and Rust . . .

Jake isn't it. If you want to see Rust and Sid magically crystallize, then try a different third component other than Jake or Sheary (the only two Sully ever has tried).

Upsetting how good the 2nd and 3rd lines have looked the last few games seems like a big mistake.

Keep those lines intact and try using players other than Rust or Sheary on Sid's RW. Those are the components that don't work, and Rust regularly looks better on every other line than he does with Sid.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Brassard and Phil on the third line shouldn’t need much on their LW. Just the right complement. ZAR probably gets a look there when he’s back.

Sheary with Sheahan and Kuhn works for me. Move him up when he has a good game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Brassard and Phil on the third line shouldn’t need much on their LW. Just the right complement. ZAR probably gets a look there when he’s back.

Sheary with Sheahan and Kuhn works for me. Move him up when he has a good game.

I don't disagree but they need a guy that can do the dirty work and be a "glue guy". Sheary is definitely not that, so IMO they will struggle again as soon as you remove Rust.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It is really interesting, because Kapanen I’d argue was a similar prospect and look at what the Leafs have turned him into.

Given who his father is, it always kind of boggled my mind that Kasperi wasn't known for his two-way game.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Looks like Sid gets the straight line fast guy he likes playing with back on his line.

BlankFrank416

Feb 24, 2018
It is really interesting, because Kapanen I’d argue was a similar prospect and look at what the Leafs have turned him into.
Kapanen would have developed just fine in Pittsburgh. No reason not to think so. He was traded for Phil Kessel and two cups. It was a good smart trade. He’s going to be a great Leaf looks like.

Reactions: BillPrep

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Kapanen is a better skater than Sprong by a decent margin. But Sprong has just recently lost almost an entire year of development, and is still almost a point per game in the AHL in his first year there. Honestly his development so far has been great for a 2nd round pick. I’m not sure what the rush is.

Reactions: BlankFrank416

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Don't like the changes because Brass/Rust were developing chemistry, but if this is what Sid needs to start playing well again f*** it you can have whatever you want Sid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And realistically Sid's line is going to suck until Sid flips the switch like he did in the Flyers game. So it doesn't matter who goes with him.

At this point, this is how I feel. I'm not a fan of Rust with Sid, but at the same time, until Sid actually starts playing like he's capable of, I don't think it matters who he's with.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kapanen would have developed just fine in Pittsburgh. No reason not to think so. He was traded for Phil Kessel and two cups. It was a good smart trade. He’s going to be a great Leaf looks like.

Kapanen is never going to produce an 80-point season so that trade was SO worth it, even though it would be nice to have him here now to send Sheary to the press box....

Reactions: BlankFrank416
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad