Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Schultz, Murray Practice with Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
His play is very pedestrian this year. Maybe the concussions finally caught up to him?

His decision making has been so poor, brain trauma could explain that.
I think he is pacing himself. He has started slow in previous years. To me it seems like when he is "on" he drives the net much more and plays with more grit and is greedy with respect to wanting to score. When he is playing more perimeter and doing more drop/blind passes, that shows to me that he is not as engaged or determined.
The fact that we have seen this before from Sid on multiple occasions tells me that it is by design and is more mental. Not that he doesn't want to do well, but that there is a strategy in place to try and keep him healthy and as fresh as possible for when the games matter most. Probably at the direction of his personal trainers and the Pens trainers. The regular season is a grind.
The unfortunate part for the Pens is that many of the players will follow Sids lead and as a result the whole team can look off and lethargic. Compounding the problem is that the team couldn't keep its depth and other vets from the previous couple of years, and we are lacking quality centers to eat more minutes.
I think Sid will turn it on after Christmas.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Should've signed Martin Hanzal for 4.75M per . . .
Should have signed Bones and Moore like I suggested in July.

But but but let’s wait for Cullen! Give em’ 6 weeks to decide! He deserves that much! We love Dad!!!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because we just won back to back cups! Don’t criticize JR and Sully!

Criticism can be warranted but when you are coming off back to back championships, I think there's a lot of latitude that should be afforded to them. Sure we can second guess them in one area or another, but IMO they're playing with house money. And will do so for quite some time. After all, this season isn't over yet. We're not dead and buried.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It seems obvious, we have three players who play better on the RW and three players who play better on the LW. Why do we insist on putting players in worse spots to succeed?
I think Sully is trying to find a spark. Maybe a line combo that will get hot and be able to contribute 5 on 5.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It seems obvious, we have three players who play better on the RW and three players who play better on the LW. Why do we insist on putting players in worse spots to succeed?

Yeah that’s it. Just play guys where they should. If it’s not working tweak it a little (just a little!). If that’s not working get in JR’s ear that you need something different (not necessarily an upgrade although that’d be better).

I know we usually have injuries so that’s skewed things in the past couple years but we’ve been relatively healthy this season and we still don’t have consistent lines. Let the guys gel instead of switching every few games. That’s how you lose chemistry. We can’t just flick switches.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I think he is pacing himself. He has started slow in previous years. To me it seems like when he is "on" he drives the net much more and plays with more grit and is greedy with respect to wanting to score. When he is playing more perimeter and doing more drop/blind passes, that shows to me that he is not as engaged or determined.
The fact that we have seen this before from Sid on multiple occasions tells me that it is by design and is more mental. Not that he doesn't want to do well, but that there is a strategy in place to try and keep him healthy and as fresh as possible for when the games matter most. Probably at the direction of his personal trainers and the Pens trainers. The regular season is a grind.
The unfortunate part for the Pens is that many of the players will follow Sids lead and as a result the whole team can look off and lethargic. Compounding the problem is that the team couldn't keep its depth and other vets from the previous couple of years, and we are lacking quality centers to eat more minutes.
I think Sid will turn it on after Christmas.

The only time I recall Sid playing this bad was MJ's second year.

They're about to be last in the freaking division, shouldn't the games matter now? There's no time to pace himself.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

But but but let’s wait for Cullen! Give em’ 6 weeks to decide! He deserves that much! We love Dad!!!

Signing Bones and Moore is something Ray Shero would've done . . . and it would've worked brilliantly until the whole one or two and done thing.

But, hey, if it works in NHL '18 . . .

Reactions: Extra Texture

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The only time I recall Sid playing this bad was MJ's second year.

They're about to be last in the freaking division, shouldn't the games matter now? There's no time to pace himself.
The whole team is hung over right now and needs help. I would rather Sid be fresh for a run than go balls to the wall only to finish in a wildcard spot and draw the Bolts or just miss. Let's wait and see what he and the team looks like after the new year. As bleak as it looks, we can still win 6 or 7 in a row or 10 of 12 are back safely in the top 3 in our division.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bonino has 7 points in 19 games on the year after missing time with complications from the broken leg. He's producing at a worse pace in Nashville than Sheahan is on a struggling Penguins team.

Bonino just isn't the kind of player you lock up for big money and long term. Ideally you don't replace him with someone like Riley Sheahan after 10 games in the season, but he's the kind of player that you churn and burn.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Moore signed day 1 of free agency and he also decides where he wants to go too.

I think JR should have done something in the off season but I wouldn’t have given Bonino that contract.

He was right to go after bigger fish (Duchene would have been awesome) but he should have got a couple of better little fish to help on offense.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And Lebron plays "slightly" more minutes, as in 80 percent of the game.

How about Ovi? Never misses a game, I don't see him tired out there.

Seriously? You’ve never seen Ovi mail it in? Oh and that guy hasn’t been past the 2nd round. Weird comparison.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Seriously? You’ve never seen Ovi mail it in? Oh and that guy hasn’t been past the 2nd round. Weird comparison.

lol, right?!?! he is his own meme

f60zlfg.gif

S

Reactions: ncm7772

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

Well if you don't like Ovi, how about Phil Kessel?

He literally hasn't missed a game in 9 years, was an absolute beast in both cup runs, and looks better than ever this year. He sure isn't looking tired either.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

To be fair, we've got a very good 4C at this point. But he's playing 3C at the moment. If we don't make a good move, you could end up being right about Bones. But not Moore imo. We could have waited for Cullen anyway, then traded for Sheahan like we did if/when we didn't get Cullen. It seems to me that the Sheahan thing was planned for a while, likely depending on Cullen on our end and on whats-his-face signing in Detroit.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

He literally hasn't missed a game in 9 years, was an absolute beast in both cup runs, and looks better than ever this year. He sure isn't looking tired either.

I think you can easily say Kessel is trying the HARDEST, right now, than he ever has in those 9 years--and certainly in the last two--than he ever did in the regular season. So...it would make sense he has more energy/effort left to give.

Also, how many deep playoff runs did PK have before 2015-16? How many have Sid and Geno had?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Phil is powered by hot dogs he doesn’t count. Wingers don’t have to do some of the work the centres do as well.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Phil hasn’t missed a game in 9 years and a significant part of that is his style of conserving energy. Taking long stretches of time off, refusing to take contact, not playing defense, pretending to consider battling for a puck. He’s great so far this season but the picture of hard work is not something he has ever been.

Crosby can be criticized without dumbass comparisons.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The 5 worst teams in the league right now are

Arizona
Buffalo
Ottawa
Edmonton
Florida

Pens are 9-0 against those teams

Against everybody else pens are 7 14 3

Reactions: Andy99