The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So does anyone know why I couldn't attach my excel spreadsheet and it said I had an incorrect file extention? I used XLS, XLSX, and CSV.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I did an analysis and I'd appreciate those that are better at statistics and data than me to audit whether my analysis and more importantly conclusion makes sense.

I wanted to compare in all situations expected goals scored and goals scored and see whether teams can consistently over or under-perform their xGF over a 5 year period (12-13 through 16-17). In order to do that I created an index (GF/xGF). I needed to compare that index to something and I decided to compare it to actual goals scored. I looked at the standard deviation of this index and compared it to the one for goals scored. I figured that goal scoring should be relatively consistent year to year. (Maybe that's not a correct assumption.) If the GF/xGF index standard deviation is smaller than it should be relatively consistent. The standard deviation (standardized using the coefficient of variation or "STD/Mean") was smaller for the GF/xGF than for goals scored 0.0673 vs. 0.0751.

So now that I know that the GF/xGF index is relatively consistent I checked to see whether it was consistent for good predictions (where GF/xGF is close to 1) only or if it was also consistent for teams who over or under-perform the xGF. I created another metric, which was "distance from expected" to see how far each index is from 1 where xGF perfectly predicts GF. This metric was done using the absolute value of GF/xGF-1. I then compared the average of that metric over 5 years with the standard deviation of GF/xGF to see whether the teams that consistently were close in GF to xGF were more likely to be consistent (and thus the prediction was good) or if those that were not close in GF to xGF were consistent thus showing that teams can consistently over or under-perform xGF. Theoretically, if the closer a team was to xGF the more consistent they were over 5 years (thus xGF is a better predictor of GF), the line would slope upwards. The x intercept was positive (~1.25) but the p-value is 0.0849 which gets rejected under the most common test of 0.05. However, 0.0849 is close enough that it's clear there's a relationship and it would be considered significant using less strict tests. All in all it appears that most of the lower standard deviation may in fact be coming from well predicted teams, thus showing that xGF more usually predicts GF well consistently, but it stands to reason that some teams still over or under-perform their xGF consistently.

CV GF/xGF Index (Avg)CV GF/60 Stand (Avg)CV GF/xGF Index (STD)CV GF/60 Stand (STD)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
VariableCoefficientStd. Errort-StatisticProb.
DIST_FROM_EXPECTED__AVG_1.2510590.7002981.7864670.0849
C0.238970.0614983.8858270.0006
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
P.S. I tried attaching the spreadsheet using XLSX, XLS, and CSV, and I keep getting an error message that the file extension is wrong. Can someone help me figure out how to upload my spreadsheet? I never had a problem under the old format. Thanks!

Conducting YoY analyses for teams is tricky. Often, there are way too many outside factors that can greatly impact xGF, GF, or really any standard metric.

1. Did they change coaches?
2. How much roster turnover did they experience?
3. Specifically for xGF vs GF, did their goalie change? (I maintain that GSAE (xGA - GA) is a goalie based metric more than a team based metric.

And many, many more that I am just probably forgetting right now.

Another way I'd focus this analysis is on the coach, rather than the team. Can coaches directly impact over or undershooting?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Conducting YoY analyses for teams is tricky. Often, there are way too many outside factors that can greatly impact xGF, GF, or really any standard metric.

1. Did they change coaches?
2. How much roster turnover did they experience?
3. Specifically for xGF vs GF, did their goalie change? (I maintain that GSAE (xGA - GA) is a goalie based metric more than a team based metric.

And many, many more that I am just probably forgetting right now.

Another way I'd focus this analysis is on the coach, rather than the team. Can coaches directly impact over or undershooting?

Thanks. So what you're saying is that I wasted a perfectly good Saturday afternoon nerding out about something useless.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Excel is cool. It's what I use at work. But I'm trying to make my coding game strong, so I make sure to do all my hobby stuff (hockey) in R.

Excel has its limitations. I had to get p-values from EViews. I don't know if excel even provides that, it just gives the equation as far as I can tell.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How can someone play less than 9 minutes and be -21?

I usually don't care about our corsi, but I found today's corsi stats to be hilarious. McDonagh -34, Vesey -21 in less than 9 minutes.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
How can someone play less than 9 minutes and be -21?

I usually don't care about our corsi, but I found today's corsi stats to be hilarious. McDonagh -34, Vesey -21 in less than 9 minutes.
He's just so useless, and so damn soft. McDonagh has been so bad, he looks so slow, that explosive skating is missing. I hope he isn't declining, otherwise we are in trouble.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else annoyed how each player is talking about the first and second period? They stunk in the third too, Dallas just didn't attack as much. Got a fluke goal but no chances all period.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like Nash was the best player on the ice from what i can gather. Trying to comprehend the numbers but the eye test makes me think he was one of the very few silver linings in this really bad game tonight.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Vesey is so lucky McDonagh **** the bed as much as he did last night.
I don’t even care about Vesey because he’s depth piece that should never leave the bottom-6. How anyone can’t see McDonagh has been good this year, minus the hiccups that every dman has, is mind boggling.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
For some reason I get a kick out of a portion of Larry Brooks column revolving around "advanced" stats.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Who is Tucker Poolman? Four games for WPG so far this year and crushing the relCA60 game. Obviously the smallest of small sample sizes, but something to keep an eye on. Would also love to find a way to get TML to give us Connor Carrick. I'd put him right with McDonagh. I think pairing McDonagh with a RHD that's a pure suppressor would be the easiest way to upgrade this team right now.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Who is Tucker Poolman? Four games for WPG so far this year and crushing the relCA60 game. Obviously the smallest of small sample sizes, but something to keep an eye on. Would also love to find a way to get TML to give us Connor Carrick. I'd put him right with McDonagh. I think pairing McDonagh with a RHD that's a pure suppressor would be the easiest way to upgrade this team right now.
Kid they drafted out of the USHL, which has been cranking out good two-way dmen. Spent some time with Boeser at NoDak clowning fools and won a national championship. The good dmen we need to be drafting are all USHL and Euro kids. Slavin, Pesce, and the list goes on and on.

f***ing yes please to Carrick or Colin Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad