The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t want to absolve Tallon for a terrible off season, but I vaguely remember a report that the Panthers owner ordered him to cut $5m in salary last off season. I only really remember it in context of people here (spec thread) wanting to trade for one of their defensemen
One of the vetted posters on the Florida board was saying there was an internal order to get the team to 65 million or less in cap

So I guess that lead to the trading of guys like Smith, JAM, Demers

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
San Jose is sneaky good. They have depth scoring you need to win in the playoffs

Anaheim’s best guys are just so broken down and slow.

I’m going to game 4 tomorrow, hopefully the Sharks lock it up

Sharks holding it down for good analytics teams that everyone thinks are bad from watching them.

*pours one out*

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Sharks holding it down for good analytics teams that everyone thinks are bad from watching them.
*pours one out*

And for teams that are fast without having the fastest players. If every team tries to become pitt and succeeds, I think I'll have to give up on hockey.

Sharks play an amazing game when they're clicking.

Reactions: Machinehead

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
NHL teams react too quickly to shooting %?

Last year, CGY outscored their xGF by .14. This year, they underscored by .59
And they had bad goaltending luck with Smith getting hurt for like 15 games. Idk enough about him as a coach, but they had good analytics with a worse roster than us. Maybe they’ll look into him, but his record with Dallas doesn’t really look good for him

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
And they had bad goaltending luck with Smith getting hurt for like 15 games. Idk enough about him as a coach, but they had good analytics with a worse roster than us. Maybe they’ll look into him, but his record with Dallas doesn’t really look good for him
Underlying numbers with Dallas?

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Calgary ranked 24th in sv% and 28th in PDO when Guletzan was there.

This team has a HOF goaltender and they can shoot.

Middle of the road analytics with Dallas, but those rosters were old and atrocious. Steve Ott and Brendan Morrow in the top six atrocious.

I absolutely loathe his face, but Guletzan is an option.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree with the notion that Guletzan sort of just exists, and he won't get me excited, but this team isn't reinventing the wheel here.

They need an actual defensive structure and a culture that isn't cancer. It doesn't need to be the reincarnation of Scotty Bowman.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I agree with the notion that Guletzan sort of just exists, and he won't get me excited, but this team isn't reinventing the wheel here.

They need an actual defensive structure and a culture that isn't cancer. It doesn't need to be the reincarnation of Scotty Bowman.
According the Calgary fans, the locker room became toxic.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
According the Calgary fans, the locker room became toxic.
Meh, most hockey fans in Alberta think the Earth is flat.

My real criticism of Guletzan is that Calgary's D is #Busted.

I'd rather target a guy who didn't have the horses and got a lot of out his gameplan.

Not sure that exists among available coaches who have coached in the NHL.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Guletzan might be even worse of a motivator than AV was, but in the complete opposite way. AV just didn't try to motivate and get teams ready for games at all, and Guletzan went full on meltdown on the team at practice multiple times this year and got the same result from his team that AV did. Granted, both got fired so maybe it's just that both teams just flat out didn't respect them, but it's enough to give me pause with him

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Not only do Minny fans think their team is good; they think their team is interesting.

Is there a single player on the Wild that’s worth it to go out of my way to watch? Um, nope lol.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Not only do Minny fans think their team is good; they think their team is interesting.

Is there a single player on the Wild that’s worth it to go out of my way to watch? Um, nope lol.
I get a kick out of Dumba, Granlund, JEE, and the EStaal resurrection tour.

I’m excited for Kunin too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->