The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The future of the Rangers rests largely on the organization’s ability to identify and develop young defensemen. General manager Jeff Gorton and his personnel department are responsible for the first part of the equation. If Libor Hajek, Ryan Lindgren, Yegor Rykov, Neal Pionk and John Gilmour are the wrong guys, then the road back to contention will be a long and winding one. And that is the road merely to playoff contention.
If management has correctly identified these defensemen as prospects, then the responsibility falls on the coaching staff to teach and develop them, individually and within a team structure designed to suppress shots and chances. That applies to Brady Skjei and Tony DeAngelo as much as the previously cited blueliners.

Hate agreeing with Brooks but this is exactly the shit I've been saying for months.

Are these the right guys?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hate agreeing with Brooks but this is exactly the **** I've been saying for months.

Are these the right guys?
You can ask this question about like...95+% of prospects in general, IMO.

This is not a Rangers exclusive thing. Every GM needs to ask themselves "Are these the right guys?" and usually the answer is not immediately obvious.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You can ask this question about like...95+% of prospects in general, IMO.

This is not a Rangers exclusive thing. Every GM needs to ask themselves "Are these the right guys?" and usually the answer is not immediately obvious.
Sure, but the general consensus seems to be that these guys are the right guys because they are our guys.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
For now? Fans. I think this off-season will tell us how the organization feels. But we can speculate on what we do know how like ADA was targeted specifically in the Stepan trade.
Agreed. But even then, I feel like it'll still be just mostly speculation.

It's one giant grey area and the clearest you can get is grey, and the other end of the spectrum is total darkness.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Agreed. But even then, I feel like it'll still be just mostly speculation.

It's one giant grey area and the clearest you can get is grey, and the other end of the spectrum is total darkness.
Well, we'll get some context clues this off-season. See the kind of contract that they give Skjei. See if they bring in another RD or just assume Pionk and ADA are those guys with Shattenkirk.

My whole pessimism here is that I don't think the org has reason to believe that Skjei and Pionk are a good future to build around, but I fear the organization believes the opposite. Total speculation, obviously.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
When I get a chance, I kinda want to do a deep dive into how Stevens' defenses faired relative to the league since his name has been popping up as a HC option. Vally weighed in showing some support for him, so maybe there is some statistical backing for him?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
ok serious question i know you fancy stat guys worship boy wonder chayka...but why have none of you brought to my attention his sister that is also a analytics wizard? big thanks to ryan spooner for liking her pic on twitter lol

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Wasn't even a nice goal. Doesn't count. 0.027 xG on that shot. 40 ft wrist shot. puh-lease.
Goalie was screened, but yeah I agree. I really wonder how those factors will start getting weighted into these models once it becomes readily available, i.e., goalie screening, pre-shot attempt puck movement, etc.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Goalie was screened, but yeah I agree. I really wonder how those factors will start getting weighted into these models once it becomes readily available, i.e., goalie screening, pre-shot attempt puck movement, etc.
I don't care how many people are in front of you, it's a 40 ft wrist shot and he wasn't even facing the net when he shot it. He literally just blindly threw the puck at the net and Helly missed it.

Goals can be bad, nev.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't care how many people are in front of you, it's a 40 ft wrist shot and he wasn't even facing the net when he shot it. He literally just blindly threw the puck at the net and Helly missed it.

Goals can be bad, nev.
Oh it was a bad goal, I agree. I’m just saying that Helly was screened a bit, so there’s some explanation for why it went in. It was a better goal than Wheeler’s goal for example, but it’s basically just polishing a turd.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Oh it was a bad goal, I agree. I’m just saying that Helly was screened a bit, so there’s some explanation for why it went in. It was a better goal than Wheeler’s goal for example, but it’s basically just polishing a turd.
Compare something Wheeler did to something Greenway did again, I dare you

latest

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad