The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Underrated insane NHL thing: GM’s get to make the rules (that allow them to look good and keep their jobs)
True. Another really interesting thought Manny had on Twitter somewhat recently was that if you're an NHL coach, and you believe a player to be a fourth-liner, you have the power to make that player a fourth-liner (see: Buchnevich, Pavel).

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
True. Another really interesting thought Manny had on Twitter somewhat recently was that if you're an NHL coach, and you believe a player to be a fourth-liner, you have the power to make that player a fourth-liner (see: Buchnevich, Pavel).

I'm not saying demotions are bad or anything but sometimes it feels like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Pasha hasn't produced in a time frame? Put him with Cody McLeod.

Reactions: Irishguy42

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I remember a few years ago when Bishop was hyped for the Vezina all season.

I'm extremely happy he turned out to be bad, a guy whose only skill being big succeeding is bad for hockey.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
More on the big but not skilled thing. Monster goalies were all the rage then. I think hockey has improved leaps and bounds in the last few years.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I remember a few years ago when Bishop was hyped for the Vezina all season.

I'm extremely happy he turned out to be bad, a guy whose only skill being big succeeding is bad for hockey.
I remember this. Biggest joke in the world. He had the easiest workload by far that year. He had a 2.06 GAA and was TWENTY-FOURTH in the league in total GSAA. That should really tell you everything you need to know. (15-16, Corsica).

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
More on the big but not skilled thing. Monster goalies were all the rage then. I think hockey has improved leaps and bounds in the last few years.
I think the playoffs are actually interesting this year, and chances are relatively low of a shitty team winning the Cup.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think the playoffs are actually interesting this year, and chances are relatively low of a ****ty team winning the Cup.

If it were a question of a shitty team winning the cup and the Pens winning the cup I'd much rather a shitty team win the cup. But out of curiosity who do you consider shitty teams winning a cup?

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If it were a question of a ****ty team winning the cup and the Pens winning the cup I'd much rather a ****ty team win the cup. But out of curiosity who do you consider ****ty teams winning a cup?
The 2017 Pens, so two birds with one stone :laugh:

This year, Washington pretty much sucks if they're not on the powerplay.

Reactions: Bozle

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The 2017 Pens, so two birds with one stone :laugh:

This year, Washington pretty much sucks if they're not on the powerplay.
Yeah that team legit had a horseshoe up it’s ass.

Really proved that the Caps are a cursed franchise. In a fair and just universe, the Caps win that in 5. Alas, such is not the universe of hockey.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Gorton says the team is going to compete

Yet this board is intent on tearing it down to the floorboards

So infuriating

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Gorton says the team is going to compete

Yet this board is intent on tearing it down to the floorboards

So infuriating
I think the truth is in the middle.

Don't see us competing in 18-19, but those hoping for Tank City are going to be very disappointed, and I think it would be silly to sell in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->