The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Just catching up on everything from Gorton's presser/interviews today.

Figured I'd ask: What is your folks' take on what Gorton said about analytics on the Michael Kay show?

For reference:
This is probably in line with what I would expect. Again, he's said multiple times they are open to everything, and you have to have a balance.

As I mentioned earlier, if they go down the Keefe route for coach, I'd be curious to see if they start to build an internal analytics team. The Leafs obviously have one, so maybe they would try to go for that same feel here.

Gorton has been saying everything I've wanted him to say. Now we just have to wait and see if he can execute

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What Gorton said was what is mostly said by most in the NHL world, so I personally don't take much from what he said. If he brings in a coach who involves themselves in analytics past a cursory glance will be a lot more telling to me than anything he says.

Gorton always says nothing with his answers. He talked for 15 minutes today, and there were maybe one or two quotes that weren't by the book.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
When you post once in the spec thread

tiredsponge.png

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Tippett only has 5 SOG and 1G in his first 2 AHL games.

Busto magnifico.
Has anyone actually called him a bust? That’d be pretty damn silly. I could see thr arguments for one-dimensional, but the dude is a volume shooting and scoring machine, so does it matter?

It’s funny though, if that 21st pick were Norris or POJ instead of Chytil, would people still complain if we traded it?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Has anyone actually called him a bust? That’d be pretty damn silly. I could see thr arguments for one-dimensional, but the dude is a volume shooting and scoring machine, so does it matter?
No. Troll account, remember?

And I think one day people will realize that the value of clearing $23m or whatever over four seasons and getting out from under a terrible player is far more valuable than the 21OA. But we are not there yet.

I mean, we could've got rid of Staal and signed another player like Smith!

(Or, ya know, kept Stepan).

But, this is me, the guy that firmly believed the Rangers had no real reason to hit the reset button but decided to anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
No. Troll account, remember?

And I think one day people will realize that the value of clearing $23m or whatever over four seasons and getting out from under a terrible player is far more valuable than the 21OA. But we are not there yet.

I mean, we could've got rid of Staal and signed another player like Smith!

(Or, ya know, kept Stepan).

But, this is me, the guy that firmly believed the Rangers had no real reason to hit the reset button but decided to anyway.
Ya just had to go and become Poe’s Law, didn’t you?
Stepan :(

Reactions: Miamipuck

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's somewhat interesting how quickly this fanbase has turned on the prospect of carrying roster players above the age of 30. We're already talking about trading Kreider.

In terms of aging curves, I understand it. But damn, y'all, chill.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It's somewhat interesting how quickly this fanbase has turned on the prospect of carrying roster players above the age of 30. We're already talking about trading Kreider.

In terms of aging curves, I understand it. But damn, y'all, chill.
I think with Kreider it's also because of the way his type of player usually ages. Big body taking hits and such all career and people are scared he's probably going to fall off a cliff/aging curve. He is a very valuable player to us because he drives play possibly better than anyone on the roster and then you get people who are...rightfully... shell shocked about having players over 30 getting money and sucking

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think with Kreider it's also because of the way his type of player usually ages. Big body taking hits and such all career and people are scared he's probably going to fall off a cliff/aging curve. He is a very valuable player to us because he drives play possibly better than anyone on the roster and then you get people who are...rightfully... shell shocked about having players over 30 getting money and sucking
Well, 30 is still a bullshit number. Players plateau at what, 23/24?

I understand it, but the foundation driving the argument for most people is hilariously wrong.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Well, 30 is still a bull**** number. Players plateau at what, 23/24?

I understand it, but the foundation driving the argument for most people is hilariously wrong.
Most wingers/offensive players usually yeah with some outliers of course. But then at that do you mean straight numbers on offense or as an overall effective player and all that.

I agree that it isn't the best reason to drive the argument with but it's understandable for sure. Personally I don't have any issue carrying players 30 or over unless you can clearly see a sharp decline in their play (I don't like using just raw goal/point production because depending on other factors they may or may not get them and all that)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The Team With the 3-Man Starting Rotation

“If we occupy the wake of both the Yankees and Boston and our behavior is aligned with theirs, we’re never going to step out and pass them—ever,” one high-ranking Rays official said. “Never, ever, ever will we ever step out and pass them short of some incredible run of luck and good fortune.”

These issues are mitigated in a cap-sport, but there are still "budget" teams. You have to operate in the gray-area. If you're doing everything the same as teams that can outspend you, you are going to fail.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Happy to do chart dumps for playoff games if anyone has requests

Anaheim chart dumps would be much appreciated! I do some Corsica surfing when I'm able, but your charts are much more concise and organized than my own stumblings.

Only thing I find myself going to Corsica for on a game-by-game basis is xGF%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->