The "A" on Lucic's jersey. To be or not to be.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Would it be appropriate to remove the "A" from Lucic and give it to someone more deserving? Would it light a fire in him or make him play worse? Also, if it does happen who do you think deserves it?

Lucic brings playoff experience to the team and that's a good thing, I guess. His contract is wrapped tight in kryptonie so he is probaby an Oiler for the long haul. I don't think he has earned the title of Alternate Captain as an Oiler or even came close. Moving forward I think Draisaitl makes much more sense.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Yeah, let's strip players of letters because fans don't like them on hockey forums.

That's what classy organizations do.

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
Yeah, let's strip players of letters because fans don't like them on hockey forums.

That's what classy organizations do.

It's not stripping him of his A because we "hate" the guy it's because he doesn't do anything for the team. He can't score, pass or skate and he doesn't stick up for his teammates. That's not someone who deserves a Letter to me.

Reactions: Yeah15

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Oilers have a long tradition of giving letters to guys that can't do anything out on the ice. Lucic is just continuing that tradition.
Those were usually just captains though. They’ve actually been more demanding with the “A’s” and have quietly stripped them off players to give them to others at the beginning of the season.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
C to Mcd. Assistants to Nuge, Nurse, and Drai. Drai is still a big time producers, deserves one. Take it off Lucic, doesn't deserve it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
depends what you feel the letter is for. isn't it just a designation on who can talk to the refs?
I'm sure the guys in the locker room know who the actual leaders are. letter or no letter.

having an A doesn't mean much of anything except to fans.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
depends what you feel the letter is for. isn't it just a designation on who can talk to the refs?
I'm sure the guys in the locker room know who the actual leaders are. letter or no letter.

having an A doesn't mean much of anything except to fans.
that is true, which is why I usually like to spread the letters out. But still, fans pay attention to the letters and that shouldn't be underrated as a factor. McDavid as C makes a ton of sense since he's on the ice so much. I don't think Nurse should get a letter since he's young and doesn't need the fan scrutiny, but Larsson should get one. I still think Sekera should get one since he's a veteran who plays very well. As for another forward getting one, because it is a function of talking to the refs, it should be a player who usually talks to the refs, so it should be someone who doesn't play with McDavid a lot. Usually, that applies to RNH.

Reactions: McLovin

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Honestly, leadership or not, I think it would do Lucic some good to get the letter removed. He's clearly aware of how bad he's been this year - let him focus on himself instead of feeling obligated to teach the rest of the room. Hell, if it pisses him off, good. Maybe it'll inspire him to train harder and play harder. We all know Lucic is better when pissed off, anyway.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Don't just strip him of the A. Strip him of a roster spot. Pull a Lou Lam and send him to Robidas Island for an undisclosed injury and never let him play hockey again. He'd contribute the same number of wins.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
For Looch, think he mistook the A to stand for the anchor tied to his ass...

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Not his fault he is being misused and given way too many minutes. Read up on the article about Todd's downfall in San Jose. It said he regularly wore out his veterans by giving them insane amounts of ice time, like 35 year old Patrick Marleau who by the time the playoffs rolled around was dead. Dan Boyle who was washed up and finished at the time was San Jose's leading D man in ice time.

Reactions: McLovin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->