Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Edition

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Passing on Stankoven for Klimovich is something that will haunt this franchise for years to come. Doesnt help when so many posters on here could see this coming a mile away on draft day…
That whole summer will haunt this franchise.

OEL on the books forever
No 9th OA which should have been Sillinger or Guenther on a ELC + another 2nd
Klimovich over Stankoven
Burning our 3rd for another player who cost more in draft capital to get rid of... 2nd
Not trading Holtby when according to McIntyre they had a deal for a pick...3rd
All a year after letting Tanev and Toffoli walk and going after Schmidt 3rd and Holtby

I like Garland but i'm sure we could have gotten him cheaper than 9OA 2nd 2nd 3rd 3rd 3rd Tanev Toffoli and 20 million in dead cap space and yes they should have taken BC born Kamloops kid Stankoven

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

OEL on the books forever
Klimovich over Stankoven
Burning our 3rd for another player who cost more in draft capital to get rid of... 2nd
All a year after letting Tanev and Toffoli walk and going after Schmidt 3rd and Holtby

I like Garland but i'm sure we could have gotten him cheaper than 9OA 2nd 2nd 3rd 3rd 3rd Tanev Toffoli and 20 million in dead cap space and yes they should have taken BC born Kamloops kid Stankoven
It’s incredible we are where we are despite losing a 9th, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, a top 6 winger and a top 4 defenseman. Tanev should be a career Canuck at the moment.

It just angers me so f***ing much. We could be the Dallas Stars or Carolina Hurricanes right now. I’ll never get sick of people calling out Bennings mistakes.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

OEL on the books forever
Klimovich over Stankoven

Need this:

Instead we have this:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s incredible we are where we are despite losing a 9th, 2 2nds, 2 3rds, a top 6 winger and a top 4 defenseman. Tanev should be a career Canuck at the moment.

It just angers me so f***ing much. We could be the Dallas Stars or Carolina Hurricanes right now. I’ll never get sick of people calling out Bennings mistakes.
I'm trying to move on from the Benning 'reign of error', I really am. But then some poster neatly incapsulates the last disastrous summer, when Benning was basically trying to save his job with some of the worst deals in franchise history. And that same hollow feeling in the pit of your stomach rises yet again.

But most of my rancor still is for the owner......he was the 'enabler' who let it all happen.

Reactions: M2Beezy

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I'm trying to move on from the Benning 'reign of error', I really am. But then some poster neatly incapsulates the last disastrous summer, when Benning was basically trying to save his job with some of the worst deals in franchise history. And that same hollow feeling in the pit of your stomach rises yet again.

But most of my rancor still is for the owner......he was the 'enabler' who let it all happen.
Yep, couldn’t agree more

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

OEL on the books forever
Klimovich over Stankoven

Yeah but three straight Calder finalists

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Allvin and Rutherford have been on quite a roll for the past season and half; but a couple of deals still occupy the 'questionable' category in my mind.

First, the OEL buyout, which will cripple the salary cap for years. Watched last night's game between Boston and Florida, and thought OEL didn't look half bad.

Obviously he was playing through injury last year in Vancouver, but would he have been that bad playing on the Canucks blueline this year? Maybe it would have been a lot cheaper to buy him out after a couple more seasons.

And you also wonder about trading Jason Dickinson to the Hawks at the expense of a second-rounder. He just hit the 20 goal mark against the Flames last night in the Windy City. I know he was 'overpaid' at $3m a season.....but could he have been a serviceable third or fourth liner in Vancouver, allowing them to keep their second rounder?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Allvin and Rutherford have been on quite a roll for the past season and half; but a couple of deals still occupy the 'questionable' category in my mind.

First, the OEL buyout, which will cripple the salary cap for years. Watched last night's game between Boston and Florida, and thought OEL didn't look half bad.

Obviously he was playing through injury last year in Vancouver, but would he have been that bad playing on the Canucks blueline this year? Maybe it would have been a lot cheaper to buy him out after a couple more seasons.

And you also wonder about trading Jason Dickinson to the Hawks at the expense of a second-rounder. He just hit the 20 goal mark against the Flames last night in the Windy City. I know he was 'overpaid' at $3m a season.....but could he have been a serviceable third or fourth liner in Vancouver, allowing them to keep their second rounder?
1) OEL would be on the roster for around $7 mill more than his buyout. You'd have to adjust the roster to compensate for that. Plus, is he playing not half bad for a $7 mill player or a $2.25 mill player? Does the 1/3 cap hit vs what it would be in Van alter your assessment or is your opinion no different?

2) Dickinson, he was not performing in Vancouver. It's as simple as that. Some guys just don't fit in certain teams. Schmidt was fine in LV. Not the same in Van. He was a contract they could have just kept and finished out. Ie. not add Mik last season.

That is $9.5 mill in cap in cap charges that you need to make to this current roster to fit those 2 in.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
?

He was excellent until his career was nearly sunk by Travis Green and Erik Gudbranson.

There's a reason he's hung around for 500 NHL games even after his development was totally bungled by the organization.

Yeah, a bit of a bizarre take after the guy met the 500 game threshold - a nice accomplishment. And he’s done it on some good teams, too.

500 games out of a 5th round pick is astounding value. I feel like the Canucks thought he was immature (I wonder if Gudbranson and his vaunted “300 games to learn how to play defense” crap had something to do with Benning’s thinking there) and moved on from him. But he had a good skill set and rounded into a dependable player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, a bit of a bizarre take after the guy met the 500 game threshold - a nice accomplishment. And he’s done it on some good teams, too.

500 games out of a 5th round pick is astounding value. I feel like the Canucks thought he was immature (I wonder if Gudbranson and his vaunted “300 games to learn how to play defense” crap had something to do with Benning’s thinking there) and moved on from him. But he had a good skill set and rounded into a dependable player.
4 years in Van including a 2 year elc he made about $7.4 mill. In 5 years beginning as a 26 year old ufa he’s made $4.9 mill. Kind of insane that he made that much more in Van in 1 fewer season. He has a 2 year extension starting next season at $975k AAV. So that would still leave him at $6.9 mill in non Canuck earnings….

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
iu

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Reign of Error! Summer? Just summer?

His touch will be haunting the team for another 7 years and still does now.

I like Garland's effort but why on earth Elmer gave him, a RFA that was mostly a part time NHLer a 7 fold salary increase from league minimum to 5 mil is beyond baffling. Garland is a decent player overall, higher than average skill level but didn't play well with others. Still paid too much for too long. Any time it takes 4 years for a contract to start looking good is 4 years of massive over payment IMO.

The owner an enabler? Really? Wasn't he doing what the masses wanted, demanded of him, be hands off?

Reactions: M2Beezy

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009

I like Garland's effort but why on earth Elmer gave him, a RFA that was mostly a part time NHLer a 7 fold salary increase from league minimum to 5 mil is beyond baffling. Garland is a decent player overall, higher than average skill level but didn't play well with others. Still paid too much for too long. Any time it takes 4 years for a contract to start looking good is 4 years of massive over payment IMO.

The owner an enabler? Really? Wasn't he doing what the masses wanted, demanded of him, be hands off?

He's the guy who hired Jim Benning, and upon seeing what a wonderful job he was doing as GM, fired Linden and made him GM/POHO. Becasue what Jim really needed was more responsibility and control I guess. He also hired a head coach before even finding a replacement after firing Benning. I don't think any of us wanted any of that.

Hands off means to me, what i hope for from an owner:
Hire a really strong POHO, let him hire his own GM, let them make coaching and personnel decisions, be willing to spend money. The stay out of the way part is everything but the 1st decision, and maybe part of the 2cnd. That's it. Being a 'superfan' owner is useful for the spending money part i guess.
[/B][/B]

Edit: I have no idea why my reply is all in bold. I meant to only bold your last sentence.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No one was willing to take OEL and his ass wash cap hit, buying him out was the best thing to do.
If you viewed the 2 years that Perry spent in Dal/Mon after his buyout people viewed him as a good player. But, that probably changes if he was still at his $8.6 mill AAV cap hit for those 2 seasons.

Cap hit impacts a person's view of a player's performance. OEL, if he's playing to a $2.25 mill AAV performance, it doesn't surprise me. But, that's a lot different than a $7 mill performance, or at least a $5 mill performance. Myers at $3 mill is going to be viewed differently than at $6 mill.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He absolutely screwed himself when he left Vancouver.

Montreal offered him 3 years/$9 million and he hesitated on it and then they pivoted to Ben Chiarot at roughly the same dollars ... and he got left without a chair and had to take the PTO with LA.

No arguments that he struggled in his last couple years here but it was terrible coaching and the insistence on playing him with the awful Gudbranson killed him. His results were great playing with anyone else and horrible with #44.
It’s a common problem. Young defensemen puts up some solid numbers on a bad team and both the team and the player expects a top 4 Dman going forward.

I have always like Hutton. I am surprised he hasn’t solidify himself more as a #5 and making more money through his prime.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s a common problem. Young defensemen puts up some solid numbers on a bad team and both the team and the player expects a top 4 Dman going forward.

I have always like Hutton. I am surprised he hasn’t solidify himself more as a #5 and making more money through his prime.
I agree. But, that's the thing with players on bad teams. Less talent on the roster, thus they get more ice time. But, when on rosters with better players, they drop down in ice time and responsibilities, thus get paid less.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, he will be out of Van for 5 years at the end of this season and already has a 2 year extension with Vegas signed and that will have him earning about $6.9 mill in 7 years since leaving Vancouver, from age 26-33, which should be his prime earning years. Yet, that will still leave him around $500K short of the 4 years of salary he made in Vancouver. $1.8 mill on ELC and $5.6 mill on the bridge afterwards for $7.4 mill. So, he'll likely be about finished his career by then with about $14.4 mill in career earnings over 11 seasons. Maybe he hangs around for another year or two until he's 34/35 or something. But, final earnings likely to be around $16 mill by then.

I would have bet that he would have made closer to $25 mill for his career back in 2019 when he became a UFA after Van didn't QO him. Wasn't going to be worth the $3.5 mill Plus he could have been awarded in Arb, but figured he'd earn $2 mill per or more moving forward.

Stecher through 8 years at the end of this season will have earned around $12.25 mill. $6.5 mill in 4 years with Van and $5.75 mill elsewhere for the other 4 years. Same situation as Hutton, UFA at 26 due to no QO. 30 this year.

From where they were drafted/undrafted that's still great money. Just surprised at the dip after their bridge contract from an earnings POV. But, that is what the market dictated for their services.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

The owner is 'hands-off' with the current administration, he doesn't have much of choice. But that was hardly the case with Benning. He meddled almost constantly, and even when it was apparent that the franchise was floundering, he backed Benning to the hilt.

And given the magnitude of the OEL deal and the contract they inherited, it's impossible to believe the owner wasn't involved. Nope, when it comes to the last regime, the owner was an 'enabler'. And they'll be paying the price for years.

Reactions: theguardianII

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
The owner is 'hands-off' with the current administration, he doesn't have much of choice. But that was hardly the case with Benning. He meddled almost constantly, and even when it was apparent that the franchise was floundering, he backed Benning to the hilt.

And given the magnitude of the OEL deal and the contract they inherited, it's impossible to believe the owner wasn't involved. Nope, when it comes to the last regime, the owner was an 'enabler'. And they'll be paying the price for years.
The trade that sent Oliver Ekman-Larsson to the Vancouver Canucks from the Arizona Coyotes was primarily driven by several factors:

1. Salary Cap Concerns: Oliver Ekman-Larsson had a significant contract with the Arizona Coyotes, which carried a hefty salary cap hit. The Coyotes were looking to shed some salary to alleviate their cap situation, as they were likely facing financial constraints.
  2. Rebuilding Phase for Coyotes: The Arizona Coyotes were in a rebuilding phase and were likely looking to acquire assets, such as draft picks or prospects, to bolster their future prospects. Moving Ekman-Larsson, who was one of their higher-paid players, could provide them with the flexibility to make other moves to rebuild their roster.
  3. Fresh Start for Ekman-Larsson: Ekman-Larsson had spent his entire NHL career up to that point with the Coyotes, and there were indications that he was open to a change of scenery. Moving to the Canucks provided him with an opportunity to join a new team and potentially contend for the playoffs, as the Canucks were aiming to strengthen their roster.
  4. Defensive Boost for Canucks: The Vancouver Canucks were looking to improve their defense, and acquiring a player of Ekman-Larsson's caliber addressed that need. Despite his hefty contract, Ekman-Larsson was still considered a solid defenseman capable of contributing at both ends of the ice.
Overall, the trade was a combination of salary cap management for the Coyotes, a desire for a fresh start for Ekman-Larsson, and a move to bolster the Canucks' defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad