Speculation: The 2021 RFA Class is loaded

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
With Covid still likely hurting revenues next offseason and a flat cap, I imagine we will see a lot of bridge deals where these teams will need to save every penny possible in the short term and the players will not wanting to lock into a long-term contract when all teams spending power will be at a low. Compromise will be bridge deals: teams get to stay under the flat cap and players will get lined up for a big pay day down the road (either with a deal walking them exactly to free agency or with a shorter contract backloaded so that the qualifying offer the next time they are RFAs is substantially higher).

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
7x9? It's possible the Cap causes Rfa deflation but 9 seems very optimistic. We know Canuck fans think he is better than several players who make more so this number is a bit of a surprise. I think he's getting 10+ but you could be right about deflation. If so why sign for 7 or 8 years until you know things aren't flat any more?

He might well go for a shorter deal at your price but I doubt his agent want to go long if he's being offered less due to covid. Of course I am wrong all the time.
I honestly don't see anyone getting over 10 mill for a few seasons, UFA or RFA. I don't think the financial impact of this virus is going to be seen for a few seasons yet. With that said, we may see a lot more bridge deals, or shorter terms contracts. If that is the case, then EP and Hughes will cost far less in the short term, which just goes to my point that the Canucks will have some cap flexibility in the next two seasons.

I very well may be wrong, but I think this offseason shows that this is the direction that salaries may be heading. AP is one of the best UFA D in th epast decade, and he didn't even get 9. Last offseason that is probably closer to 11.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I honestly don't see anyone getting over 10 mill for a few seasons, UFA or RFA. I don't think the financial impact of this virus is going to be seen for a few seasons yet. With that said, we may see a lot more bridge deals, or shorter terms contracts. If that is the case, then EP and Hughes will cost far less in the short term, which just goes to my point that the Canucks will have some cap flexibility in the next two seasons.

I very well may be wrong, but I think this offseason shows that this is the direction that salaries may be heading. AP is one of the best UFA D in th epast decade, and he didn't even get 9. Last offseason that is probably closer to 11.

A UFA is not a good example. EP is an offer sheet candidate. Need a number one C? 10 mil no problem. Not saying that will happen, we know it usually doesn't but he is not like AP at all beyond being elite.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
A UFA is not a good example. EP is an offer sheet candidate. Need a number one C? 10 mil no problem. Not saying that will happen, we know it usually doesn't but he is not like AP at all beyond being elite.
Not in a straight comparable sense, but the AP contract does show what the financial state of the league is in.

I'm not the least bit worried about offer sheets. Literally 0% concern of that.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not in a straight comparable sense, but the AP contract does show what the financial state of the league is in.

I'm not the least bit worried about offer sheets. Literally 0% concern of that.

I'm not prone to dooming and glooming teams about Cap because it's mostly wishful thinking by unhealthy fans. I just don't see him signing a long term deal at a discount like that. I have no doubt he stays a Canuck but its hard to underpay a C of his age and talent when someone would most certainly want him as their franchise C at 10 mil. You don't think Columbus would do it? They would. So they can only go so low. Fact is the Habs should do it to. For your sake I hope you get a bargain but he's awfully good.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
There are a bunch of high end RFAs next year, and this year for that matter who will set the market. Regardless of what number people think x player will get, it will be dictated by the market, which is a depressed one right now.

Nobody offer sheets. HF loves to debate highend college guys going UFA, and offer sheets, but in reality they are not a concern.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yeah Matthews 8x 13m would have been so much better. Term isnt great but it is what it is. and just wait Pettersson is getting paid big time

Swedish players are much more reasonable on contracts when comparing them to Americans . Total difference culture . A Swedish player will take the long term security on a fair contract . I said Americans early And I should’ve said North Americans as Canadians players are just as likely to want to be paid . They bet on themselves.

apologize to all Americans as this is meant to take a shot at them . North American players are willing to gamble on themselves getting the big pay day and rightfully so . Swedes are more conservative and rather their family’s be secure also a good way to be .

May I am dumb with my opinion

Reactions: Team Cozens

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Swedish players are much more reasonable on contracts when comparing them to Americans . Total difference culture . A Swedish player will take the long term security on a fair contract . I said Americans early And I should’ve said North Americans as Canadians players are just as likely to want to be paid . They bet on themselves.

apologize to all Americans as this is meant to take a shot at them . North American players are willing to gamble on themselves getting the big pay day and rightfully so . Swedes are more conservative and rather their family’s be secure also a good way to be .

Yeah I dunno about that, EP is going to get paid. only thing that will help the team is a bridge deal. and then you better believe Pettersson is going to get paid the big big bucks.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Swedish stars seems well compensated to me. Lidstrom, Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund, Lundqvist, and Karlsson all made money consistent with their peers. Alfredsson took less because Melnyk is cheap, and made promises he had no intention of keeping, but otherwise I think they made their fair share. There could be cultural differences though, I'm not in their heads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad