The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Maybe McDonagh will be in play again, seems like it wasn't a fit in Tampa. Their fans also think JT Miller will be gone because won't be able to pay him what he'll want.

I can see Tampa making some moves after falling short once again. Same goes with Nashville.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Maybe McDonagh will be in play again, seems like it wasn't a fit in Tampa. Their fans also think JT Miller will be gone because won't be able to pay him what he'll want.

I can see Tampa making some moves after falling short once again. Same goes with Nashville.
I would love me some miller. Physical gritty skilled. could work well with tro

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Two articles by DeFranks (interviewed Eric Joyce):
About Greco and Hunt.
Says both have a good chance to make team out of camp next year.
Joyse praised Greco's PK skills, sees Greco as possible PK'er with the Panthers.
Also really liked Hunt's performance during his call-up with the Panthers despite not putting up points; said Boughner struggled with taking him out of the lineup.

There should definitely be competition for the bottom6 spots next year. I like.

About Montembeault.
Has all the talent in the world, faced a lot of shots, had a great first year as a pro despite not great numbers, needs to have a big offseason, sky is the limit.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Two articles by DeFranks (interviewed Eric Joyce):
About Greco and Hunt.
Says both have a good chance to make team out of camp next year.
Joyse praised Greco's PK skills, sees Greco as possible PK'er with the Panthers.
Also really liked Hunt's performance during his call-up with the Panthers despite not putting up points; said Boughner struggled with taking him out of the lineup.

There should definitely be competition for the bottom6 spots next year. I like.

About Montembeault.
Has all the talent in the world, faced a lot of shots, had a great first year as a pro despite not great numbers, needs to have a big offseason, sky is the limit.

Greco plays C right? Where do they both fit next year though? Who do they bump out?
I figure Brickley is gone. McGinn maybe but he is in contract year so we may get an uptick in effort out of him.
I love Mamin already. McCann is in limbo if Borgstrom stays as 3C, guess he can try to for 3LW with the others but don't see him as a shutdown 4C. Some guys have to be moved for both of them to make it but haveheard nothing but great things about Greco with his speed and defensive abilties.

One thing I really noticed about Hunt was his ability to draw penalties, he's stocky and takes punishment along the boards or down low, just needs more games the points will come. LW is definitely not a concern going forward in my opinion.

Hoping when Lu retires, we will hire him as goalie coach and he can teach Monty everything he knows. :crossfing

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Greco plays C right? Where do they both fit next year though? Who do they bump out?
I figure Brickley is gone. McGinn maybe but he is in contract year so we may get an uptick in effort out of him.
I love Mamin already. McCann is in limbo if Borgstrom stays as 3C, guess he can try to for 3LW with the others but don't see him as a shutdown 4C. Some guys have to be moved for both of them to make it but haveheard nothing but great things about Greco with his speed and defensive abilties.

One thing I really noticed about Hunt was his ability to draw penalties, he's stocky and takes punishment along the boards or down low, just needs more games the points will come. LW is definitely not a concern going forward in my opinion.

Hoping when Lu retires, we will hire him as goalie coach and he can teach Monty everything he knows. :crossfing
I think Greco plays RW. I wonder - could we move Sceviour to 4C and plug Greco into Scev's old spot? Just a thought.

There should be a lot of competition for sure. I agree Brickley's most likely gone, unless they want his experience in the AHL. I imagine we keep McGinn - with his contract, he's not good enough that someone would specifically want to trade for him, but not so bad that he's a problem. If we really wanted to get rid of him, we could retain a bit and try to trade him for a pick/prospect, which would open a spot for one of the kids, be cheaper than a buy out and get us an asset in the process.
Love Mamin too - I hope he grabs one of the spots next year. The Borgstrom-McCann situation will definitely be interesting to watch. I really think McCann isn't far off being our 3C - the only thing truly holding him back is his faceoffs. Then again, Borgstrom has a much higher upside for sure. Can one of them be turned into a winger?
Also this year Malgin tentatively claimed the 2RW position - love the kid and he's progressed well over his time with us, but he needs to keep improving if he wants to hold onto that spot. And where does Vatrano fit in? Will Tippett make the roster? Will we add a player in FA? So many questions - I can't wait to see how things turn out next season.

Apparently they really liked Hunt's consistency and ability to be hard on the forecheck.

Agree on Lou. I think he likes Florida - it would make sense if he stayed in some capacity. Also they promised they'd try to get Springfield better defence next year, so it'll be interesting to see how Monty does then...

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
We did.we had both and we sucked.
As you implied numerous times before, terrible coach. meddling ownership, just a gong show of a season.

New coach and more stability, surely these two players would have been a huge asset this season. Especially when Tallon was bemoaning half way through the season about a lack of scoring!

Oh, and Smith was part of our division winning season the year before. Looked pretty good that year. And he killed it in the playoffs as well.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
As you implied numerous times before, terrible coach. meddling ownership, just a gong show of a season.

New coach and more stability, surely these two players would have been a huge asset this season. Especially when Tallon was bemoaning half way through the season about a lack of scoring!

Oh, and Smith was part of our division winning season the year before. Looked pretty good that year. And he killed it in the playoffs as well.
There was too much turmoil around smith. That’s all there is to it. Cut and dry. The damage was done

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
whose the positional players you're thinking of? Think Tallon will look to move Pysyk and McGinn if need be. Trade for a RD and if Nick is moved, it should be a legit top 6 RW, I feel that's our weak link up front is the depth on the right side. Long term it looks decent if Tippett, Malgin and Vatrano can all become 20-25 goal guys with Tippett having 30 goal potential. Trading Nick for picks would be the last resort and makes the least sense. He is good depth, we had some good luck on the injury list last year.

What ya got in mind?
Could he actually increase his value even more?
If he puts up 50+ pts again?
There'd only be 2 years left on his deal, albeit high in actual dollars but could probably get a late 1st in the 2019 draft, something we may need if we trade it for help on D or in a potential upgrade at RW come this year's off-season or next year's trade deadline.
Was there anything that actually impressed you about Nick's season?
I almost know the answer you will give :laugh:

He didnt' have a concussion? ;)

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

I don't think he's in play but assuming a trade's coming isn't a bad train of thought. Tallon's made it clear a top 4 dman is a high priority and the market's fairly weak...well except for

This is a name that scares me. He would so fit that Tallon mold.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I don't think he's in play but assuming a trade's coming isn't a bad train of thought. Tallon's made it clear a top 4 dman is a high priority and the market's fairly weak...well except for

Ummm, yeah, do not want.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I actually think McCann could develop into a pretty nice 4C for us. He has the speed, grit, and intensity to develop into a PKing defensive C who leads an energy 4th line that can score. The question is whether or not he has the attitude to accept that he won't be getting a role as a top 6 offensive player. He has all the tools to be an elite 4C, but his history suggests that he won't like the coaching staff pushing him in a less glamorous direction.

I just wish we could get over DMacK and Haley. Now that the boys are men, Yandle is here, and Trocheck has emerged as a good leader, there is no reason for MacKenzie to be on the roster hogging up a spot from our centers. And Haley is a 13th forward.

Hunt/Mamin/McGinn - McCann - Sceviour would be a great 4th line. Too bad out of the five players listed only one of them will actually play there.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL

Thornton would probably resign from the Panthers if that happened.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

He should be fired on the spot if we sign Emelin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad