The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
yea i dont see a gm giving up a late first for him, although, i have seen gms do dumber things so never say never. i just wouldnt expect it. im sure tallon wont be eager to trade his boy, unless for cap reasons (they bring in another high paid winger or d and they need to shed some dollars). id trade him for picks to get rid of the contract but id rather just swap him for another positional player thats already developed.

whose the positional players you're thinking of? Think Tallon will look to move Pysyk and McGinn if need be. Trade for a RD and if Nick is moved, it should be a legit top 6 RW, I feel that's our weak link up front is the depth on the right side. Long term it looks decent if Tippett, Malgin and Vatrano can all become 20-25 goal guys with Tippett having 30 goal potential. Trading Nick for picks would be the last resort and makes the least sense. He is good depth, we had some good luck on the injury list last year.

Just move Bjugstad while he has some value!!

What ya got in mind?
Could he actually increase his value even more?
If he puts up 50+ pts again?
There'd only be 2 years left on his deal, albeit high in actual dollars but could probably get a late 1st in the 2019 draft, something we may need if we trade it for help on D or in a potential upgrade at RW come this year's off-season or next year's trade deadline.
Was there anything that actually impressed you about Nick's season?
I almost know the answer you will give :laugh:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
There'd only be 2 years left on his deal, albeit high in actual dollars but could probably get a late 1st in the 2019 draft, something we may need if we trade it for help on D or in a potential upgrade at RW come this year's off-season or next year's trade deadline.

Im sorry it would be his first 50+ Season if he would reach it next Year. 49 Points not 50 and was also a Carrer high, while staying healthy for first time in 5 Season. That much to DT i like healthy Player.
As more years the Contract has more likely Teams go for it, better Value. You never know if he re-sign if he has only 1 or 2 Years left. And trade after 1-2 Years left Players is more to fill hole and you know they willed to re-sign. 2+ Years i would trade him to Teams, who need a NHL ready Player for a rebuild.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the thing with bjugstad is whether or not we add a legit winger or not. because hes only going to realistically produce on the top line. if we pursue kovalchuk or pacioretty, etc. those guys would be playing with barkov-dadonov. huberdeau and trocheck are already together and i see vatrano or malgin as better linemates for them than say nick. nick on the 3rd wont supply anything. unless playing alongside borgstrom somehow does wonders for him, but thats a big if, you could say that about anyone. if we dont add anyone substantial then sure keep him.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If Carolina is looking to make some changes, we need to see what we can do to try to get Skinner and or Faulk. Let's start with the 15th, Mascherin, and go from there.
Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-Faulk

would be pretty insane.

if they pressed hard for mcdonaugh then hopefully they strike on a high-end top-4 D this offseason

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Sure then look out how many Goals and first Assist he had with the Line. and 55% is over a half Season

20/49 while playing with TopLine that is unfer 50% of his Points he make during the whole Season and this is productive in one Way maybe.

I give some people here the Point 7 Goals in a half of a Season is not bad, but is it good that a Top Player in contract can only score playing with two of the best in the Team.

So he spent 55% of his icetime with Dadonov and Barkov. He scored less than 50% of his goals with them. And you say that he can only score when he is with them? You are contradicting yourself big time.

maybe in a break out Season around 60 and sorry 60 Points is a minimum playing TopLine.

That's really optimistic. There were 68 forwards last season that scored 60 points, so this leaves 25 teams (at the very least) without "a TopLine".

And in the Future he will see no PP Time, 90%-95% of his Points was on even strength, he only make few points in PP.

That's why he ranks 48 in the NHL in Points/60 in the at 5v5.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
whose the positional players you're thinking of? Think Tallon will look to move Pysyk and McGinn if need be. Trade for a RD and if Nick is moved, it should be a legit top 6 RW, I feel that's our weak link up front is the depth on the right side. Long term it looks decent if Tippett, Malgin and Vatrano can all become 20-25 goal guys with Tippett having 30 goal potential. Trading Nick for picks would be the last resort and makes the least sense. He is good depth, we had some good luck on the injury list last year.

What ya got in mind?
Could he actually increase his value even more?
Was there anything that actually impressed you about Nick's season?
I almost know the answer you will give :laugh:

That seems very optimistic.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
So he spent 55% of his icetime with Dadonov and Barkov. He scored less than 50% of his goals with them. And you say that he can only score when he is with them? You are contradicting yourself big time.

Yes, 7 Goals only when Barkov or the Line was involved, it would be around 11-12 Goals with Dadonov/barkov. So he scored, 55-60% of his Goals playing with TopLine. Cause an other Part he scored a few Goals was with Huberdeau. And no what im saying is right. He scored more then 60% of his Goals, while playing with Dadonov/Barkov/Huberdeau. Outside of this, you see, McGinn, McCann, Yandle, Matheson involved.

That's really optimistic. There were 68 forwards last season that scored 60 points, so this leaves 25 teams (at the very least) without "a TopLine".

Better watch all 68 Players in the list you find Top Players of NYI, CGY, FLA, EDM, OTT, and other Teams not in the PO but better then the rest of the Team.
that around 25-28 Player from 68. That leave 40 players over 60 Points who reached the PO. But yes it also let some Team open who hadn´t a TopLine.
16*3=48
when you look in the List LAK are more or less on the end of the 68 only Kopitar had a heck of a Season. 4-0 series lost
ANA has 2 Players in the 68 Players, the usual 2 4:0 out wiped in the 1st Round.
And when you watch out, who is in the List where are the teams ended or still in the Cup run, you figure fast out, that Toplines was not on every Team.
Btw we had TopLines, still unable to reach PO, again we oversleep the start.

That's why he ranks 48 in the NHL in Points/60 in the at 5v5.

That is right, cant say anything against it.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Any chance the panthers would ever move Luongo again?

Would take a perfect storm:

-Panthers piss away another season (very possible)
-Luongo still a 0.920 goalie (very possible)
-Over commitment to Reimer to justify salary (very possible)
-Contender loses starter close to deadline AND isn't comfortable riding their backup (possible)
-Agreement to retire at season's end as I believe there are rules in place that would prevent Lu from being traded back to Florida in the summer (the Tkachuk/Weight rule). His family is almost certainly not relocating again. (low likelihood)
-Said contender overpays, because that's how Tallon rolls in non-Smith/JAM deals. (low likelihood)

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Would take a perfect storm:

-Panthers piss away another season (very possible)
-Luongo still a 0.920 goalie (very possible)
-Over commitment to Reimer to justify salary (very possible)
-Contender loses starter close to deadline AND isn't comfortable riding their backup (possible)
-Agreement to retire at season's end as I believe there are rules in place that would prevent Lu from being traded back to Florida in the summer (the Tkachuk/Weight rule). His family is almost certainly not relocating again. (low likelihood)
-Said contender overpays, because that's how Tallon rolls in non-Smith/JAM deals. (low likelihood)
This is pretty much spot on. Only chance he moves again is as a pure 20 game rental with the understanding that he is retiring or going on LTIR (not legal) after the season.

Even then, it would need to be a team that is a goalie away from being a cup favorite. Think team like Tampa if Vas for the season.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
1. Bobby Mac and John Shannon both said on tv they think he has 2 years left
2. Even if it was his last year a. I doubt Tallon would move him
b. The chances that Florida is so far out of it next tdl they're in a position to trade him is extremely unlikely.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
1. Bobby Mac and John Shannon both said on tv they think he has 2 years left
2. Even if it was his last year a. I doubt Tallon would move him
b. The chances that Florida is so far out of it next tdl they're in a position to trade him is extremely unlikely.

GermanPanther gon' cry LOL

If that's the case, please f***ing trade Reimer.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i think he plays this year and thats it, he'll retire. hes 39 now, hes not playing 4 more year. he'll play this year and i doubt he'll play next year at a 1.6mil salary at 40 years old with the injuries hes had. if he seriously wants to play out the remaiing 4yrs, yea id trade him. but ill assume he has a deal in place with management saying that he'll play one more, possibly two, then retire.

trade reimer whenever you can. go after grubauer or dell, preferably grub.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I feel confident with our team's speed and skill in both forwards and defense. We have some grit now and coming up through the pipeline. My biggest worries next year are the start to the year, goal-tending performance/health, special teams along with the growth and progression of Borgstrom, Weegar, McCoshen and possibly Tippett.

Speed kills and we have a fair bit of it: Trocheck, Dadonov, McCann, Malgin, Mamin, Vatrano, Matheson and soon to be Tippett and Heponiemi.
Skill is fairly loaded as well with: Barkov, Huberdeau, Dadonov, Trocheck, Borgstrom, Matheson, Ekblad, Yandle and let's not forget about Heponiemi again.

The compete level and focus to the start of the game/season has to be better, we were a great team to watch for the most part when scoring first. Limit those quick strike comeback goals by the opposition that kills our momentum. Boughner needs to find out what he has in McCoshen, this has to be a great year for him with the likes of Gildon and Stillman hot on his tracks.

Weegar looks like he has the opportunity to steal that top 4 RD spot barring a trade to upgrade. I'd like to assume if Pysyk isn't dealt, he will have a better year defensively, offensively he's been decent and has played every game in a Panthers uniform the last two years, so health is definitely an asset to have. Boughner should be open to the option of Matheson-Ekblad, Yandle-Weegar/Pysyk and you can re-unite #3 and #5 on the PP and have Matheson and Weegar take more PK roles while getting 2nd PP time.

Another thing we should focus on is clearing our zone with the puck when pressured and limit the turnovers at our blue/red line. I know every team gets hemmed in but this always leads to penalties or multiple icings.

Special teams being the third major focus, we found success on the PP with the stretch pass through the neutral zone and going high to D, low to forward on goal line and mid/out front for a shot/goal. Trocheck can't be our only option even though he was pretty successful, really looking forward to see Tippett, Vatrano and Borgstrom on the PP, some young fresh minds who can shoot will be a nice treat to see.
Along with winning the first face-off on a PP, this little thing enraged me over the last couple years. Losing that face-off easily knocks off a good 20-30 seconds and then by the time we'd set up, there'd be 35-45 seconds left and we'd be too predictable, always over-passing it.

We need Lu to invest in a hyperbaric chamber and turn back time once more. Without solid goal-tending performances and durability from him and Reim, I feel we will fight an uphill battle all year long, like the Flames, Hurricanes and Blues this year who all missed out on playoffs, largely due to letdowns between the pipes. 50-30 split seems good to me but need them to both have above average years in net.

If Tallon decides to keep the pick, draft a two way RD or another skilled C/W. Have the idea of possibly trading up into late 1st with our #34 pick + Mascherin and draft opposite of mentioned above or possibly trade down from #34 to 40th-45th and pick up a 3rd to draft a goalie prospect. We're all curious how this off-season will play out but pretty confident we are a playoff team if we focus on those issues mentioned above.

Vegas proves you can make it to the Cup with a team concept, a healthy blend of skill, will, speed, goal-tending and belief in one another. Don't change too much, we need more familiarity and stability with this team, one major add in top 6 W or top 4 D would help but I also understand if we stay the course, have a smart draft and then not have to worry about this part of hockey so much going forward.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
GermanPanther gon' cry LOL

If that's the case, please ****ing trade Reimer.

And yes i would. I mean Tampa and other Goalies in this PO showed again, your Starter should be at 100 or 120%, not 75%-100%.
How often you read in the GDT, why didn´t he get this Puck or how he could miss that. As often as you read amazing save, Reimer already played more then the half this Season.
Isn´t this already showing, where the Way goes, move only from left to right, light push, the Resulte missing 4-5 Games groin injury. upper Body. He is not Martin Brodeur who pushed the Devils into the PO in his last Career.
I think Loungo did this in the PO Year. In Biologie there is a speech. When a Flower knows she dies, she shines once more and fall to die.

I only can say it more often, when Loungo retires, he wouldn´t be the only one going, there are more Goalies near to retire. So more and more Teams will look for a new starter.
When there is one thing missing in the last 8-9 Year of rebuild in the DT Era, that we didn´t even had a single Rookie Goalie who was NHL ready. other Teams find and grow them like picking up an apple on the Tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->