Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Weird feeling we're drafting a defenseman.

Also maybe not weird since we have exactly one defenseman who can maybe make an NHL squad someday. Maybe.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I really hope we don’t take a dman in the first round, take best available forward and then try to trade into the second round for a dman

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Weird feeling we're drafting a defenseman.

Also maybe not weird since we have exactly one defenseman who can maybe make an NHL squad someday. Maybe.

I also feel that we’ll take a D for the same reason: We have literally NOTHING in the pipeline for D. While we don’t have great forward prospects either, at least we have guys with a chance at being top-6 forwards in Balcers, Gambrell, Chekovich, etc. The only player with even a smidgen of a chance at being a top-4 D is Ferraro.

Back when we were closer to drafting 10 than 20, I had a really strong feeling that we’d get Ty Smith. That isn’t realistic anymore, but that’s the player I really, really want.

I’m not a fan of Mattias Samuelsson at all. Seems like a low-upside player, someone with a strong chance to be a #4-5, but nothing better. I don’t want to draft a potential Brenden Dillon in the first round.

As I’ve said before, give me Bode Wilde. Dude has extemely questionable hockey IQ, but with his tools if he had even average hockey IQ, he’d be a lock to go top-10. He had a rough U18 so it’s almost certain that he’ll be there at 21. Could even slip out of the first round. He isn’t the type of player that Doug Wilson/Tim Burke like, but he does have the kind of upside that you NEED to draft for in the 1st round.

Another obvious one is Ryan Merkley. Dude is better than anyone not named Dahlin offensively, but he has a world of attitude issues and doesn’t give a lick of effort on defense. Sounds kinda like a nutcase to be honest but he’s got tons of upside. This guy is probably on Burke’s “no draft list”, but some smart GM will snag him in the late 1st or early 2nd and pray that he grows the f*** up. If it works out, they have a star.

I bet we do take Mattias Samuelsson though. Sounds exactly like a DW/Burke pick. He’s “good” defensively, has size, was the captain of the U18 team, and is pretty close to NHL-ready. Screams DW pick.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I also feel that we’ll take a D for the same reason: We have literally NOTHING in the pipeline for D. While we don’t have great forward prospects either, at least we have guys with a chance at being top-6 forwards in Balcers, Gambrell, Chekovich, etc. The only player with even a smidgen of a chance at being a top-4 D is Ferraro.

Back when we were closer to drafting 10 than 20, I had a really strong feeling that we’d get Ty Smith. That isn’t realistic anymore, but that’s the player I really, really want.

I’m not a fan of Mattias Samuelsson at all. Seems like a low-upside player, someone with a strong chance to be a #4-5, but nothing better. I don’t want to draft a potential Brenden Dillon in the first round.

As I’ve said before, give me Bode Wilde. Dude has extemely questionable hockey IQ, but with his tools if he had even average hockey IQ, he’d be a lock to go top-10. He had a rough U18 so it’s almost certain that he’ll be there at 21. Could even slip out of the first round. He isn’t the type of player that Doug Wilson/Tim Burke like, but he does have the kind of upside that you NEED to draft for in the 1st round.

Another obvious one is Ryan Merkley. Dude is better than anyone not named Dahlin offensively, but he has a world of attitude issues and doesn’t give a lick of effort on defense. Sounds kinda like a nutcase to be honest but he’s got tons of upside. This guy is probably on Burke’s “no draft list”, but some smart GM will snag him in the late 1st or early 2nd and pray that he grows the **** up. If it works out, they have a star.

I bet we do take Mattias Samuelsson though. Sounds exactly like a DW/Burke pick. He’s “good” defensively, has size, was the captain of the U18 team, and is pretty close to NHL-ready. Screams DW pick.
Samuelson reminds me of a better version of Mueller. I do really like Samuelson though.

https://thehockeywriters.com/mattias-samuelsson-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
This is my favorite page on him. Basically I agree about Dillon but I see him as a physical Vlasic (very) lite.

Also I see him as a safe pick at D. I feel like we need that. Someone who has a high chance at being a top 4 D

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Samuelson reminds me of a better version of Mueller. I do really like Samuelson though.

https://thehockeywriters.com/mattias-samuelsson-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
This is my favorite page on him. Basically I agree about Dillon but I see him as a physical Vlasic (very) lite.

Also I see him as a safe pick at D. I feel like we need that. Someone who has a high chance at being a top 4 D

Why on earth would I want to draft a “better Mirco Mueller” in the first round? We don’t need someone with a high chance at being top-4 D in the first round. We need someone with top-2 D potential.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why on earth would I want to draft a “better Mirco Mueller” in the first round? We don’t need someone with a high chance at being top-4 D in the first round. We need someone with top-2 D potential.
Better Mirco Mueller in what we wanted him to become not what he actually became. I’d be entirely okay getting a number 3 in the 20s because there isn’t really anyone that I see that has top 2 potential without major risk at our spot. Only one I see is Merkley but he is very unlikely.

Actually looking at rankings the other ones I like around there are Lundkvist and Sandin. Possibly Alexeyev but I’d rather trade down and take him.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Better Mirco Mueller in what we wanted him to become not what he actually became. I’d be entirely okay getting a number 3 in the 20s because there isn’t really anyone that I see that has top 2 potential without major risk at our spot. Only one I see is Merkley but he is very unlikely.

Actually looking at rankings the other ones I like around there are Lundkvist and Sandin. Possibly Alexeyev but I’d rather trade down and take him.

Perhaps you just like Samuelsson considerably more than me. But I don’t see a probable #3. I see a likely #5 and potentially a #4 at best.

There are always defensemen with top-3 potential available in the late first and second rounds. Olli Maatta, Brady Skjei, Mike Matheson, Shea Theodore, Brett Pesce, Brandon Montour, Thomas Chabot, Travis Dermott, Brandon Carlo, Rasmus Andersson, etc. just in the 2012-2015 drafts. Hell, half of #1D in the NHL weren’t even drafted in the top half of the first round. But you know why the Sharks have never drafted and developed an offensive #1D? Because they never take risks. All the D they take in the first three rounds are the Muellers, the Dohertys, the Petreckis, the Wrenns, the Seftons and the Wisharts. It’s like they developed one top flight defensive D drafted in the early second round and have spent every pick they’ve used on D trying to get the next Vlasic. The riskiest guy in there was Petrecki, but he was still a physical giant who barely put up points in the USHL. The couple times they’ve deviated from the pattern in the first three rounds have yielded our best D prospects: Roy and maybe Bergman, who still aren’t great (although in Roy’s defense I think he’d be a good player if he could stay healthy), and hopefully Ferraro. Our best D prospects have come from the late rounds, where they aren’t afraid to take “risky” guys. The best D we’ve developed since Vlasic more than a decade ago are Braun, Demers, Irwin, Ryan, DeMelo. Guys drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Mattias Samuelsson would be more of the same. No thanks. I’d rather take Wilde and have him completely bust than take Samuelsson and watch him become a decent #4-5. Because then I’ll know we tried. It’s why I still support drafting Goldobin over any of the guys taken behind him that might turn into decent third liners.

Why draft a Mattias Samuelsson in the first round when you can draft a Joakim Ryan in the seventh round?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It feels like the revitalization of this thread is bad luck, but in any case, I support drafting BPA and then making the adjustments later. I know that happens less in less with the must shorter pipelines to the NH, but DW is great at trading from a position of strength to fill a need.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Perhaps you just like Samuelsson considerably more than me. But I don’t see a probable #3. I see a likely #5 and potentially a #4 at best.

There are always defensemen with top-3 potential available in the late first and second rounds. Olli Maatta, Brady Skjei, Mike Matheson, Shea Theodore, Brett Pesce, Brandon Montour, Thomas Chabot, Travis Dermott, Brandon Carlo, Rasmus Andersson, etc. just in the 2012-2015 drafts. Hell, half of #1D in the NHL weren’t even drafted in the top half of the first round. But you know why the Sharks have never drafted and developed an offensive #1D? Because they never take risks. All the D they take in the first three rounds are the Muellers, the Dohertys, the Petreckis, the Wrenns, the Seftons and the Wisharts. It’s like they developed one top flight defensive D drafted in the early second round and have spent every pick they’ve used on D trying to get the next Vlasic. The riskiest guy in there was Petrecki, but he was still a physical giant who barely put up points in the USHL. The couple times they’ve deviated from the pattern in the first three rounds have yielded our best D prospects: Roy and maybe Bergman, who still aren’t great (although in Roy’s defense I think he’d be a good player if he could stay healthy), and hopefully Ferraro. Our best D prospects have come from the late rounds, where they aren’t afraid to take “risky” guys. The best D we’ve developed since Vlasic more than a decade ago are Braun, Demers, Irwin, Ryan, DeMelo. Guys drafted in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Mattias Samuelsson would be more of the same. No thanks. I’d rather take Wilde and have him completely bust than take Samuelsson and watch him become a decent #4-5. Because then I’ll know we tried. It’s why I still support drafting Goldobin over any of the guys taken behind him that might turn into decent third liners.

Why draft a Mattias Samuelsson in the first round when you can draft a Joakim Ryan in the seventh round?
I think that I just like Samuelsson more. Also I agree on Wilde I just think he’s going around 15-20. What do you think about Sandin, McIsaac, and Lundkvist?

My other thing is you can’t really count on drafting high impact guys in the 7th round. I mean the Sharks do have some great 7th round picks but there’s normally maybe 1-2 every draft that even make the NHL. It’s interesting to me though how good our 7th round in comparison to every other round :laugh:

Also the Sharks don’t give these high risk high reward players a chance. Look at Goldy, I truly believe he was never given a chance and now he’s an NHL in VAN

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wonder if we can trade back in the first to NYR to pick up a 2nd round pick. Seeing how they have 5 picks in the first two rounds.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Wonder if we can trade back in the first to NYR to pick up a 2nd round pick. Seeing how they have 5 picks in the first two rounds.
I’d love to do that because even then we could get someone like Wise or Sandin or maybe even Bokk/Kaut. Then in the 2nd we might be able to take someone like McLaughlin

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Just browsing some mock drafts, scouting profiles, and rankings.

I like what I read about Akil Thomas. He sounds like a good two-way center that has good vision, work ethic, and skating abilities. Most have him in the latter part of the 1st round. Could be an interesting prospect and he scored 20+ in both of his OHL seasons.

Anyone have thoughts?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I’ve seen K’Andre Miller ranked as a mid 1st rounder. Seems like a safe bet to be a top 4 dman. Also seems like a safe pick in general, right up Burke’s alley lol.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Another safe two way centre is Ryan McLeod and with speed being a big part of the game going forward could be s solid pick. Dude is a phenomenal skater

Reactions: Groo

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think we need to listen to the game crowd on this one and pick Jett Woo. They call out his name every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad