Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I really hope wherever the Sharks end up drafting they don't go looking for another swiss army knife. They need scorers. I still do not understand why they took Norris when scoring was such an obvious need.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I really hope wherever the Sharks end up drafting they don't go looking for another swiss army knife. They need scorers. I still do not understand why they took Norris when scoring was such an obvious need.
You could basically ask that about every sharks pick since...Couture

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Drafting for position is always wrong. Especially if the player isn't expected to make the team for a few years.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Drafting for position is always wrong. Especially if the player isn't expected to make the team for a few years.
I'm not sure what you mean by drafting for position. I was speaking more generally about targeting guys like Goldobin with super high offensive potential.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
They need scorers.

Right, but I didn’t mention a position, I just said Swiss Army knife. So I was confused.

You scorers and then mentioned Norris. I assumed.

And I'm not saying this is Norris, but if the guy you can choose has twice the potential at being a Swiss army knife vs a scorer, you still choose the Swiss army knife. You choose the best available player and trade for position later. IMO.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
You scorers and then mentioned Norris. I assumed.

And I'm not saying this is Norris, but if the guy you can choose has twice the potential at being a Swiss army knife vs a scorer, you still choose the Swiss army knife. You choose the best available player and trade for position later. IMO.
I understand the principle you’re presenting, and I’m not saying the sharks shouldn’t look for players like Norris. I’m saying they should also look for high potential scorers. Even though Goldobin didn’t work out he was in that vein. When he was dealt for a Swiss (Danish) army forward, that left a void in the system. It’s a constantly fluid situation and I feel the sharks target the Swiss army type almost exclusively. I’d like to see more variety earlier in the draft.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I understand the principle you’re presenting, and I’m not saying the sharks shouldn’t look for players like Norris. I’m saying they should also look for high potential scorers. Even though Goldobin didn’t work out he was in that vein. When he was dealt for a Swiss (Danish) army forward, that left a void in the system. It’s a constantly fluid situation and I feel the sharks target the Swiss army type almost exclusively. I’d like to see more variety earlier in the draft.

I agree with that except in the first round unless the 2 players in question are fairly equal. In the later rounds I'd wish they'd take more chances. I thought the 2 Russians were took were along that line, no? Though IIRC, one is an American Russian.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I agree with that except in the first round unless the 2 players in question are fairly equal. In the later rounds I'd wish they'd take more chances. I thought the 2 Russians were took were along that line, no? Though IIRC, one is an American Russian.
Chekhovich certainly falls into that category more than Chmelevski (the American Russian.) Chmelevski seems more like a Swiss Army guy to me. In the 1st round there always seems to be more of a consensus on who the best players are. If the Sharks were deciding between two guys who were similarly ranked then obviously if we get upset we're just quibbling over play style. However, when they reach for someone, and Norris was definitely a reach, and avoid a faller like Tolvanen or someone ranked right around their pick, like Yamamoto. That's where I get concerned.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Generally, franchise-caliber players are "Swiss-army" type players. High-potential scorers, even if they hit their potential, tend to me more complementary types because they are more niche players. Nothing wrong with that, and the Sharks maybe should have drafted for those kind of players when they had Thornton in his prime, but now, the Sharks need a future franchise player.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Generally, franchise-caliber players are "Swiss-army" type players. High-potential scorers, even if they hit their potential, tend to me more complementary types because they are more niche players. Nothing wrong with that, and the Sharks maybe should have drafted for those kind of players when they had Thornton in his prime, but now, the Sharks need a future franchise player.
That goes without saying. The real question is, is it easier to round out a player who can score at elite levels or teach a well rounded player to score in the best league in the world?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Would you describe Connor McDavid as a high-octane wildly talented scorer or a Swiss Army knife? I think that’s the point.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
Maybe I’m missing the point but I don’t think the Swiss army could stop MS-13 from overtaking a White Castle in Central Islip. Now if you mean utility, as in the knives, seriously y’all, are those knives that useful? Like if you were trapped on a deserted island, is there a Swiss Army knife that would make it all better? I say f*** pop culture, be real, the Swiss are useless, including Timo, and lets leave it there before I get in trouble again. I’m just saying, stop saying Swiss Army knife, they’re not all pourpose, they suck, and they’re actually totally useless.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That goes without saying. The real question is, is it easier to round out a player who can score at elite levels or teach a well rounded player to score in the best league in the world?

Would you describe Connor McDavid as a high-octane wildly talented scorer or a Swiss Army knife? I think that’s the point.

Well, those kind of players go in the top-5 of the draft.

The idea I think people have is the Sharks draft some preternatural offensive talent in the late-first while developing the other parts of this game. How often has it worked out? Moreover, tradtionally "swiss-army" picks like Hertl, Couture, Coyle, and Pavelski have put up solid offensive numbers. Who believed that Goldobin's offensive potential was higher than those players, nevermind the other aspects of his game.

Since DW's tenure, the Sharks have drafted Michalek, Bernier, Kaspar, Setoguchi, Couture, Goldobin, Coyle, Hertl, Goldobin, Meier, and Norris in the first round. That's a pretty good record, considering his draft position. The safe, well-rounded picks, have, so far, been the best picks...Michalek, Couture, Coyle, and Hertl.

Reactions: Led Zappa

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Well, those kind of players go in the top-5 of the draft.

The idea I think people have is the Sharks draft some preternatural offensive talent in the late-first while developing the other parts of this game. How often has it worked out? Moreover, tradtionally "swiss-army" picks like Hertl, Couture, Coyle, and Pavelski have put up solid offensive numbers. Who believed that Goldobin's offensive potential was higher than those players, nevermind the other aspects of his game.

Since DW's tenure, the Sharks have drafted Michalek, Bernier, Kaspar, Setoguchi, Couture, Goldobin, Coyle, Hertl, Goldobin, Meier, and Norris in the first round. That's a pretty good record, considering his draft position. The safe, well-rounded picks, have, so far, been the best picks...Michalek, Couture, Coyle, and Hertl.

And that is an infinitely greater indictment of Doug Wilson’s ability to draft offensive talent (and the Sharks’ ability to develop it, which again comes back to Wilson) than it is supportive of the merits of drafting well-rounded players over high-upside players.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Unless we tear it up through nov/dec, it is my hope we do the following-

Trade JT - the return should be good

Trade Ward, Martin, Dillon for picks/prospects. Get something, dump a large amount of CAP.
These actions alone would free up at the very least 15million, taking into acct salary retention.
Split up Vlasic, Burns, Braun. Pair them up with Heed, Ryan, etc. Let the kids take their lumps this year and gain experience. If we are going to suck then let the youngsters play on both sides of the puck.

The odds of us drafting a franchise player are slim unless we suck for 3 yrs and get lucky to draft in the top 3, 3 straight years. Throw a deal at Tavares 6 yrs/60 mil + this summer and hope. Otherwise tank and watch the growing pains..

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
watching first hand how the Jackets have improved, I think drafting a skilled-puck moving defenseman is what is most needed.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Mirco Mueller was a pretty obvious "safe, Swiss Army knife" type player. Not sure why you didn't include him in DW's list of first round picks. He also completely busted.

Meier and Norris were also considered safe, Swiss Army knife, low offensive ceiling type players.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
watching first hand how the Jackets have improved, I think drafting a skilled-puck moving defenseman is what is most needed.

We have Brent Burns. I agree we need more puck-movers in the lineup (Heed and Ryan is a good start), but I don’t think that’s what we need to prioritize; that said most of the best players in this upcoming draft are D.

What we need is a player with Panarin/Saad’s offensive talent.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We have Brent Burns. I agree we need more puck-movers in the lineup (Heed and Ryan is a good start), but I don’t think that’s what we need to prioritize; that said most of the best players in this upcoming draft are D.

What we need is a player with Panarin/Saad’s offensive talent.

In general I agree that the lack of offensive talent is the problem. If we are down by a goal or two, there is not a single forward I can count on for that. Burns is the only player on our team that I consider a game breaker/changer. We need a couple of forwards who can do something similar.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In general I agree that the lack of offensive talent is the problem. If we are down by a goal or two, there is not a single forward I can count on for that. Burns is the only player on our team that I consider a game breaker/changer. We need a couple of forwards who can do something similar.

Precisely. Our priority needs to be a game-breaking forward, and ideally a center.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Precisely. Our priority needs to be a game-breaking forward, and ideally a center.

I agree but if the best pick is a d-man, I'm alright with the pick even with Burns there. If we end up with an excess of PMD's, we can move one for assets. The only thing that should trump a potential franchise d-man pick is a franchise playmaking forward regardless of position. This draft, my preference is probably going to be a defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad