Prospect Info: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just let HFBoards pick the 1st round and Burke can pick rest of draft. Sharks would be in much better shape if this was the case for the last 5 years.

#Fallin4Dahlin

Fun fact (that I actually meant to put in the title): Dahlin does not rhyme with Fallin’. It rhymes with “careen”.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The Roman Polak trade... the gift that keeps on giving...

Ah, yeah... Nick Spalling. Another worthless traded involving an experienced NHL forward. DW and Burke are full of shit when it comes to such trades since Burns.

Ben Smith
Tyler Kennedy
Mike "f***ing S." Brown
Martin Havlat
and in the making, Jannik Hansen.

That's just the forwards. There's the defensemen including the aforemention NHLer (or is he masquerading as one?).

Note: Boedker and Handzus were signed as a free agents, so their not on that trade list.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'll predict that Sharks will win the draft lottery, but will have a problem with drafting
Rasmus Dahlin because both Burns and Vlasic have NTC clauses.

Ideally, the team would draft Dahlin, and move either Burns or Vlasic in a trade for a 1st line center, but NTC are going to restrict what they can get.

This will be another "I should not have given NTC clauses" moment for DW just like Marleau and Thornton.

I don't see anything in the pipeline that suggest the Sharks have a player in development that will be a good NHL 1st line pairing.

Right now, I'm thinking it would be lucky if the Sharks win the 2nd pick and get Andrei Svechnikov. They haven't had much luck getting a 1st line scorer lately either. They seem to have 3rd line scorers in spades, maybe one or two 2nd line scorers, but no real 1st line scorer in the pipeline.

Sharks are in bad shape for the medium term. Worse if Martin Jones continues to play average in his tenure with the Sharks.

2017: Yamamoto instead of Norris
2016: no first
2015: Rantanen/Barzal instead of Meier
2014: Fabbri/Pastrnak instead of Goldy
2013: Rychel/Mantha instead of Mueller
2012: Teravainen? Over Hertl

Hertl was an absolute win as a draft pick until Dustin Brown came along. He's never been the same since.

Didn't Mantha go before the Sharks pick in that year?

I do agree with the thought that Sharks forum members on HFB can pick 1st round better than the Sharks organization. However, maybe some if it is that our development of 1st round draft picks are not as good as other teams?

Last edited:

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Hertl was an absolute win as a draft pick until Dustin Brown came along. He's never been the same since.

Don't think it helped the psychological component when he got a talking to after the Rangers game 4 goal outburst with the famous between the legs goal. He never looked the same to me after that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Don't think it helped the psychological component when he got a talking to after the Rangers game 4 goal outburst with the famous between the legs goal. He never looked the same to me after that.
That 4 goal game was like his 2nd game in the NHL. It's not like he had an established play style at that point.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
That 4 goal game was like his 2nd game in the NHL. It's not like he had an established play style at that point.

He had support from elite players. Datsyuk, iirc, was one of them. He also had 15 goals well before the mid-way point which he never came close to doing since returning from reconstructive surgery. Thanks to Brown.

Nope. Mantha went with the pick the Sharks originally had. Mueller was taken two picks before Mantha.

Sharks traded up for Mueller and bypassed Mantha? The drafting follies, particularly 1st round ones, keeps getting better and better. Fire DW and Burke!

Their trades and signings of experience NHL players have largely been horrible, and so is their 1st round drafting. Two key player acquisition methods.

I'd allow the ownership group to let the team take it's course until December, and if they are still hovering around the bottom, fire those two plus Spott, and let the incoming GM sort the rest out.

Best possible outcome is to win the draft lottery, draft Dahlin, then trade either Burns or Vlasic for a 1st round pick, and a top 1st line center prospect, and a good scoring winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: StanleyCup2035

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sharks traded up for Mueller and bypassed Mantha? The drafting follies, particularly 1st round ones, keeps getting better and better. Fire DW and Burke!

Their trades and signings of experience NHL players have largely been horrible, and so is their 1st round drafting. Two key player acquisition methods.

I'd allow the ownership group to let the team take it's course until December, and if they are still hovering around the bottom, fire those two plus Spott, and let the incoming GM sort the rest out.

Best possible outcome is to win the draft lottery, draft Dahlin, then trade either Burns or Vlasic for a 1st round pick, and a top 1st line center prospect, and a good scoring winger.

Yup. I just want to forget that draft year. They traded a 2nd to move up two spots, and they traded a 2nd for Tyler Kennedy.

At this point, I don't trust this scouting staff with the 1st overall pick.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
That Dahlen highlight reel is rediculous. Yeah, most of it looks like competition against his age-mates, but he looked like he had better puck-handling under speed than anyone currently on the Sharks roster. Just ridiculous stick-handling. Would absolutely love to get him. Don't see it ever happening though.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
2017: Yamamoto instead of Norris
2016: no first
2015: Rantanen/Barzal instead of Meier
2014: Fabbri/Pastrnak instead of Goldy
2013: Rychel/Mantha instead of Mueller
2012: Teravainen? Over Hertl

The bolded ones are the ones I remember as being as close to "consensus" picks as this boards gets, I think.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That Dahlen highlight reel is rediculous. Yeah, most of it looks like competition against his age-mates, but he looked like he had better puck-handling under speed than anyone currently on the Sharks roster. Just ridiculous stick-handling. Would absolutely love to get him. Don't see it ever happening though.
Whoever wins the lottery this year is going to be very very happy.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Im certainly not calling the season after 2 games.

But if we are gonna suck, lets try not to be a bubble team.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Don’t forget that there are three shots at the lottery now. The teams that won last year didn’t suck all that much.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm pretty dubious about our chances of scoring over 200 goals on the season which would add up to like a bottom 10 finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad