2. Bosnia & Herzegovina
3. UAE
4. Kuwait

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sounds like Sweden will try to add Soderberg, Landeskog, and Nemeth. Not sure Nemeth will go due to a lack of contract and security.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sounds like Sweden will try to add Soderberg, Landeskog, and Nemeth. Not sure Nemeth will go due to a lack of contract and security.

I figured Soderberg would be done after he was basically a healthy scratch in his last international tournament.

MacKinnon and Barrie will probably get invites.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I figured Soderberg would be done after he was basically a healthy scratch after his last international tournament.

MacKinnon and Barrie will probably get invites.

The yeti is an odd duck lol.

He could easily still be so pissed after that series that he needs to work his frustrations out on someone n so isn’t ready to stop playing hockey for the summer yet :laugh:

Reactions: Avs_19

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Apparently Rantanen has been on the talks with team Finland about going, but he said the decision lies with Joe Sakic. He also said that he was not injured and is fine, though Rantanen seems like a guy who would love to go even if he's not 100%.

Reactions: avsfan3737

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I can't stress enough how much I hate our players going there risking injuries, playing in a meaningless tournament.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I can't stress enough how much I hate our players going there risking injuries, playing in a meaningless tournament.

I somewhat agree with this. It's fun to see that Zadorov gets recognition from Team Russia but if our player gets injured in this meaningless competition... complete bs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
How do you define meaningless? Are there any meaningless NHL games? Is a season that doesn't result in a cup win meaningless?

See, because my perspective is any time you're playing hockey at a high level with a legitimate shot at winning the end goal (the tournament/the cup) then it's worth playing. That's because playing that kind of hockey is how you develop as a player. Also I think playing for a different coach, playing with and meeting other players, and playing against different players, will be good for any of our guys who go. This is especially true of our young guys like Zadorov and Rantanen.

So I'm looking forward to this although I doubt I'll be able to watch any of it due to time zones. I'll be cheering for any Avs players to do well first, and for Team Canada second.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

For a guy like Mack I agree completely. For a guy like Z, I'm ok with a little risk to keep him developing.

Reactions: cgf

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd rather all of our players stay behind but I understand the allure for some. This tournament is loved by Euro's and Canadians are starting to really like going, too.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's meaningless to you but not for everyone.

I'm not a huge fan of it but if the players want to go they definitely should. Especially, after the NHL deprived them of the Olympics. Still salty over that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Zadorov is pending a physical examine, but once he passes he's on the club.
I'd rather all of our players stay behind but I understand the allure for some. This tournament is loved by Euro's and Canadians are starting to really like going, too.
Canada is already winning this tourney, you got the likes of McDavid going along with the entire top 6 of the Islanders not named Tavares. Not only that, but you got some big Russian stars also going along with Gaudreau and Patrick Kane. If you want to watch a tournament, it has to be this years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nemeth was actually the last player I would have expected to be playing hurt. He looked pretty alright in the playoff series, laid some big body checks out too.

Excited for Z though. Get that man the recognition he deserves. Playing for team Russia will do wonders for his confidence. I'm glad he's rewarded for stepping up his game so much.

And I wouldn't call the tournament meaningless either. The players want to go, and international play for some of our young players is far more likely to help them long term than hurt them. I'd love to see Girard on that stage, but it is team Canada so they may be too deep with vets to be calling him yet.

Reactions: MarkT and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It'd be different if we were an established & experienced veteran team, but with how young we are I want as many of our kids to get international experience & exposure playing with high level players. Plus it's a great reward for the season's they had to keep their confidence blossoming for next season.

It may seem silly but for a lot of young talents there are a few moments in their careers were they realize just how good they are, and that can drive their progression to new levels. We saw it with MacK this season, we saw one of those moments with Mikko in his draft year WJC, and we've seen some of it with Zads. This can be a great environment for more of those moments for our kids, so let them have fun. The offseason is long enough for them to play this tourney and still recharge their batteries before starting to get ready for next season :yo:

Reactions: McMetal

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Z needs all the PT anyone can spare , the D game is coming together , i think we can assume he's a slow starter but maybe going to the worlds will change that a bit
Next step for him is to get his O game going, we know he has it but he's gotta make some steps , put himself in better positions on the point, getting that shot off etc,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad