Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Gonna pump up a hometown kid here, but a possible pick as a double OA this year from the OHL is RW Justin Brazeau. He's been to Columbus and Detroit's rookie camps the past two seasons and each and every year this kid just keeps getting better and better. He's 6'5 and moves really well for a bigger kid. He has a very slick release on his wrist shot and handles the puck very well at this level. Fourth in the league in goals at this point as a 19 year old and is the catalyst of the team's offense. Without question he will be captain of the North Bay Battalion next season.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Hopefully, we get a chance to draft either one of Boqvist, Dahlin or Tkachuk.

Fix our Need for a PPQB or a top-six LWer. Plus Tkachuk can player Centre.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
So what are the thoughts on/deal with Ryan Merkley. Do people generally see him as another Murphy? Great in juniors but can’t hack the NHL defensively? In terms of points 1.35ppg for an August born Dman is no joke.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So what are the thoughts on/deal with Ryan Merkley. Do people generally see him as another Murphy? Great in juniors but can’t hack the NHL defensively? In terms of points 1.35ppg for an August born Dman is no joke.

Bad defense and character issues. Would stay away. Some team will take a chance on him late in the 1st probably but don't think anyone will touch him with a top15 pick.

If the Oilers have a top8-15 pick I'd target Oliver Wahlstrom. Right-handed forward who is a shoot-first type. Leads the USNTDP U18 team with 16 goals and 31 points in 24 games. Dynamic player, soft hands and very good skater.

Reactions: Aerrol

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hopefully, we get a chance to draft either one of Boqvist, Dahlin or Tkachuk.

Fix our Need for a PPQB or a top-six LWer. Plus Tkachuk can player Centre.

I think Tkachuk is a bit overrated honestly. I mean, he's good and I like him but I don't know if he's a top10 guy. Keep in mind he was one day away from being selected in last years draft so he's pretty much the oldest (first-time eligible) player in the entire draft.

I think he's kinda similar to his brother in that he has a very high floor, but probably not that high of a ceiling. Some team will take him early though in the hopes they get a guy who can play right away.

For the Oilers I don't like him as a selection, left-handed and I think he projects more as a winger than a center at the pro level. He's not a natural goalscorer either, he's pretty much just more of what we already got with guys like Lucic and Maroon pretty much. Slow, grinding type player.

I rather target a skilled offensive defenseman or a (preferably right-handed) goalscorer, or at least someone who is an elite skater. Or if we're looking for a big center I want Jesperi Kotkaniemi. I see him as a mix of Draisaitl and Rantanen.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder what Adam Samuelsson's skating and puck skills are like. You have to think he'll be an early pick if they're even average since he's 6'5'' 240lbs at 17 years old. :amazed:

He's Ulf's youngest(I think) son playing at the USNTDP.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder what Adam Samuelsson's skating and puck skills are like. You have to think he'll be an early pick if they're even average since he's 6'5'' 240lbs at 17 years old. :amazed:

He's Ulf's youngest(I think) son playing at the USNTDP.

Not a huge fan of him, he's probably a mid-round pick. Pretty average player, doesn't do anything at an exceptional level. Solid but unspectacular.

I like the other Samuelsson a lot more, Mattias Samuelsson (son of Kjell). That's a guy who should be a pretty safe bet to be a top4 defenseman, maybe even top-pairing if everything goes well. He's not much smaller than Adam either, he's 6'4, 216 lbs :)

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Does anyone have any info on Curtis Douglas, the kid who just went to Windsor in the Aaron Luchuk deal? Anyone seen him play at all? Where's he slated to go in the draft this year? Center who's 6'8 and 232lbs. He can throw them.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
In a perfect world I’d like us to just sneak into the playoffs, win a round, but still hold onto the 16th pick, then trade up to the 8-12 range to nab Bode Wilde. We need an all situations, 20 min a night RHD with an edge to complete our right side.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In a perfect world I’d like us to just sneak into the playoffs, win a round, but still hold onto the 16th pick, then trade up to the 8-12 range to nab Bode Wilde. We need an all situations, 20 min a night RHD with an edge to complete our right side.
The Wilde side?

In all seriousness, even a deep run leaves us with a shot at a guy like Evan Bouchard, who I'm quite high on. This draft is fairly deep in terms of defensemen.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, if we're after a RHD, this is a pretty ideal draft.

Ryan Merkley and Even Bouchard in the OHL, Jett Woo and Calen Addison in the WHL, Xavier Bouchard and Noah Dobson in the Q, Bode Wilde in the US, Adam Boqvist and Filip Johansson in Sweden.

Most,if not all, of those guys are probably 1st round quality.

Reactions: McNuge

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yeah, if we're after a RHD, this is a pretty ideal draft.

Ryan Merkley and Even Bouchard in the OHL, Jett Woo and Calen Addison in the WHL, Xavier Bouchard and Noah Dobson in the Q, Bode Wilde in the US, Adam Boqvist and Filip Johansson in Sweden.

Most,if not all, of those guys are probably 1st round quality.

Filip Johansson is not that good.

I'm not super high on Wilde, but it depends on where the pick lands. Like his tools, but I know many scouts have questioned his hockey IQ and defensive play. I guess as a mid 1st he'd be a fine pick.

Bouchard I've heard some bad things about too. Great production but seems to lack urgency in his play, especially defensively.

And then there's Merkley who is the most skilled of them all but is said to have terrible character and is awful defensively.

All of these guys seems like pretty risky picks. I guess you can include Addison there too because of his size.

Woo and Dobson are probably the safest bets but has at the same time not as much upside as the other guys (except Boqvist obviously but he's a top5 pick most likely).

Definitely an interesting draft year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Apparently there's a 6'1 RH defenseman from Alberta playing for the okotoks Oilers in the AJHL called Jacob Bernard-Docker that's supposed to be pretty good. HockeyProspect.com have him in their top62 on their most recent list. Anyone know anything about him? Played for Canada during the World Junior A Challenge and had 3 points in 5 games.

Jacob Bernard-Docker

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
How would you rank the right handed defenseman in the 1st round of this draft?

A. Boqvist
B. Wilde
N. Dobson
E. Bouchard
J. Woo
C. Addison
R. Merkley

That seem in the range?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How would you rank the right handed defenseman in the 1st round of this draft?

A. Boqvist
B. Wilde
N. Dobson
E. Bouchard
J. Woo
C. Addison
R. Merkley

That seem in the range?

Tough to say, depends what you want from a player. Boqvist is the clear #1 IMO, but behind him it's tougher. Dobson is probably the #2 but Wilde has higher upside, at least offensively while Dobson is a lot more polished. Bouchard I haven't seen much, but I know HockeyProspect aren't that high on him (they are pretty good with OHL scouting) and don't think he'll be more than average defensively, while also not being the fastest of skaters.

Woo, like Dobson, seems like a reliable potential top4 defenseman but scouts question his offensive upside. Addison on the other hand is really skilled but undersized. Merkley is driving scouts crazy with his tremendous offensive talent but awful defensive play and attitude.

So, just looking at it now I'd say the rankings would be something like:

1. Boqvist
2. Dobson
3. Wilde
4. Woo
5. Merkley
6. Bouchard
7. Addison

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Tough to say, depends what you want from a player. Boqvist is the clear #1 IMO, but behind him it's tougher. Dobson is probably the #2 but Wilde has higher upside, at least offensively while Dobson is a lot more polished. Bouchard I haven't seen much, but I know HockeyProspect aren't that high on him (they are pretty good with OHL scouting) and don't think he'll be more than average defensively, while also not being the fastest of skaters.

Woo, like Dobson, seems like a reliable potential top4 defenseman but scouts question his offensive upside. Addison on the other hand is really skilled but undersized. Merkley is driving scouts crazy with his tremendous offensive talent but awful defensive play and attitude.

So, just looking at it now I'd say the rankings would be something like:

1. Boqvist
2. Dobson
3. Wilde
4. Woo
5. Merkley
6. Bouchard
7. Addison

I have to say, if Woo turns it up a bit the rest of the way to show some more offensive flash, I'd love for us to go off and the board potentially take him a bit early. I like how calm he plays, plus that name is just amazing.

In years past I'd be all aboard the Merkley train to try and get a home run offensive d to solve our issues, but Murphy and Del Angelo have really soured me on those bets. Still hoping we win a lotto again for Boqvist or Dahlin though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I've warmed up on Evan Bouchard.

I'm not usually a fan of players with late birthdays, but I think he's shown enough growth and a high enough level of play this season to not have any question marks about his upside.

I think you're looking at a possible #3D jack-of-all-trades type with a big right-handed shot for your #1PP. I wouldn't mind him with a mid 1st round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->