Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers would be smart to build a team capable of hanging with the Knights and Jets in a series. So in other words, exceptional speed, deep defense, exceptional goaltending and great coaching....... oh boy.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He is the shiny one because he is playing at the worlds.
small american left shot LD is not the need of the hour / this decade for the Oilers.

got bigger holes to plug.

I didnt realize the Oilers had an Elite PMD who could put up points...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Oilers would be smart to build a team capable of hanging with the Knights and Jets in a series. So in other words, exceptional speed, deep defense, exceptional goaltending and great coaching....... oh boy.

Goaltending is obviously very important but the most important thing in the game is a teams ability to transition and control the puck. Several times Ive seen the Oiler d men and wingers unable to complete simple 20 foot passes. Let alone make multiple without it being intercepted. This needs to change, watch how Vegas transitions, they put on a clinic most of the games Ive seen.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
We're light years from those teams.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
well yeh... his name is Sekera and he isnt going anywhere for the next few yrs.

giphy.gif

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I saw this too and was impressed. Still not the biggest Hughes fan, but he's certainly helping his draft stock with his play at the world's. Yeah yeah one tournament but it's basically his one shot to prove he can handle NHL size players and defences, and he's passing with flying colours so far.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I do like the idea of building a fast team. But honestly the best way to build a team is skill and balance. Don't try to force a style, or you'll sign Lucic for 7 years at 6m per. Draft and develop well, and the players that you assemble will determine your style. If they're good enough, they'll win a cup and have the bad managers around the league trying to emulate their style when its way too late.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The only player I don't want the Oilers to draft is Wahlstrom. I feel he might fall and we'd be forced to pick him due to BPA. I much prefer an undersized PMD or Kotkaniemi.

Let's not draft for "size" - we are seriously lacking in elite skill in our minors.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The only player I don't want the Oilers to draft is Wahlstrom. I feel he might fall and we'd be forced to pick him due to BPA. I much prefer an undersized PMD or Kotkaniemi.

Let's not draft for "size" - we are seriously lacking in elite skill in our minors.
Drafting Tkachuk is drafting for size.

Wahlstrom...that's not drafting for size, that's skill.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Wahlstrom probably has the best shot and release in the draft.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I feel like that chart is pretty misleading. Or at least that you shouldn't draw any real conclusions from it. I mean look at the names on that list compared to the D that are playing in this tournament. I don't think it's a coincidence that all the names on that list are the marginal players. Where is OEL, Klingberg, McAvoy, Butcher, Heiskanen, Ekblad, Parayko etc? Like, out of all the swedish D to make that list, Wikstrand the worst of the bunch is the only one who makes it but OEL, Klingberg, Lindholm, Larsson, Ekholm are all left out? Without having watched much of the tournament my guess is that most of those passes are low-risk, short passes and probably also in sheltered minutes.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I like Wahlstrom, wont be there at 10 most likely however.

If we move down to 3OA with the proposed Montreal trade, i would try and Flip 3OA for 6OA and AA give or take a small piece or two and Target the best Walstrom/Tkatchuk/Hughes/Bouchard

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like Wahlstrom, wont be there at 10 most likely however.

If we move down to 3OA with the proposed Montreal trade, i would try and Flip 3OA for 6OA and AA give or take a small piece or two and Target the best Walstrom/Tkatchuk/Hughes/Bouchard
Walhsrom could still be there. All the defenders go in the top 9 and a center takes Wahlstroms spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->