#59 Comrie
#84 Lodge
#91 Lipon
#104 Copp
#114 Kostalek
#127 Poolman
#190 Kichton
#194 Karlstrom

Call me an optimist, but I have a feeling that looking back in 10 years time, many will bring up the class of 2013, and say it was pivotal in taking the Jets organization to the next level, in terms of depth and eventual success as a franchise.

Thoughts?

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I feel like many will say too soon, and will judge the year performance on how Morrisey ends up developing (which could be another couple years).

I agree though. In terms of % of draft picks ending up being regular NHLers, the 2013 draft is already our highest and has the potential to be even higher (add Morrisey and Lipon).

However in terms of a transformative draft, you could also make a case for 2011 which has now provided almost all of or forward depth since relocation (Scheif / Lowry), especially considering how we've struggled with having good centers except for Little.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
We got two NHLers from this draft now with Petan and Copp. That already makes it a successful draft. Add on a likely guy like Morrissey, then the guys who show promise like Lipon, Comrie, Kostalek and it is very exciting to think how good this draft can be for us.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Morrissey, Petan and maybe Comrie will be great adds. As for the rest, the ones who make it seem more as replacements for existing parts:

Copp = Slater 2.0
Lipon = Thorburn 2.0
Kostalek = Stuart 2.0
Kichton = Postma 2.0

Looking back at our past drafts, I wish we had taken more boom/bust prospects in rounds 5-7 (ex. Arvidsson, J. Subban, Timashov, Gavrikov, Korostelev, etc). Guys like Poolman, Kichton and Karlstrom - even if they make it - were pegged as 4th liners or bottom pairing defensemen.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Morrissey, Petan and maybe Comrie will be great adds. As for the rest, the ones who make it seem more as replacements for existing parts:

Copp = Slater 2.0
Lipon = Thorburn 2.0
Kostalek = Stuart 2.0
Kichton = Postma 2.0

Looking back at our past drafts, I wish we had taken more boom/bust prospects in rounds 5-7 (ex. Arvidsson, J. Subban, Timashov, Gavrikov, Korostelev, etc). Guys like Poolman, Kichton and Karlstrom - even if they make it - were pegged as 4th liners or bottom pairing defensemen.

Lipon is 3 inches shorter and 50lbs lighter than Thorburn....not a very good comparison IMO

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I have been really high on this draft class for a long time. Loved all these picks right from draft day.
#13 Morrissey
#43 Petan
#59 Comrie
#84 Lodge
#91 Lipon
#104 Copp
#114 Kostalek
#190 Kichton

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I was really high on this draft when it happened, and almost nothing but good things have happened since then. I don't think Kichton or Karlstrom have a chance to make the big show, but almost everyone else does. Wait another year or so and we might have Morrissey and Lipon with the big club. Comrie is a top goaltending prospect and will have proven himself turning pro.

Also don't forget, that summer we signed Michael Hutchinson as a free agent who wasn't qualified. We also signed Axel Blomqvist that fall.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015

Copp = Slater 2.0
Lipon = Thorburn 2.0
Kostalek = Stuart 2.0
Kichton = Postma 2.0

Prospects being better/even replacements for aging/less skilled players in an organization is very important for any draft/develop mantra.

On a side note, I would have loved for us to pick up Timashov, I couldn't believe he was there in the fifth. Hope Toronto can develop him well (or trade him to us :D).

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Call me crazy, but I think (mainly due to our draft slot) that 2011, probably 2012 and 2014 were all more crucial to the team than 2013.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Call me crazy, but I think (mainly due to our draft slot) that 2011, probably 2012 and 2014 were all more crucial to the team than 2013.

It's not so much what our draft position was, as Josh Morrissey may prove to be our weakest 1st round selection. It's more of what came after the 1st round.

We could conceivably have picked six players that will go on to have NHL experience:

Copp, Petan, Morrissey, Kostalek, Comrie, and Lipon. That's pretty insane.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Hah! OK, you're crazy. :) You should have added '15 to that list as well.

'11 could end up with the fewest NHLers of those but 2 top 9 Cs from one draft is still very good. '12 might have looked a little thin with just Trouba at the top and nothing more in the top 4 rounds except Kosmo (who still may turn out well). But then we got 2 good G prospects in the late rounds plus Olsen who is showing some promise. Adds up! '14 could be a little weak. We might end up with "only" Ehlers. Not ready to write-off the rest yet though. '15 is too soon to say but a lot of potential there too.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA

Copp = Slater 2.0
My response to that statement would start with your user name, if I wasn't afraid of breaking forum-decorum. Have you missed the first 2 games of the season? Copp is MUCH better than Slater. Slater was a 1-trick-pony who could win face-offs, and nothing else.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
2012 was great with Trouba and Hellebuyck
I like that you can pretty much hang your hat on at least two guys from every draft so far.

2011 w/ Scheif and Lowry
2012 w/ Trouba and Helle
2013 w/ Morrissey and Petan, HM to Comrie and Copp
2014 w/ Ehlers and... Glover? De Leo?
2015 w/ Connor and Roslovic, maybe Harkins or Foley or Spacek

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Copp = Slater 2.0
Lipon = Thorburn 2.0
Kostalek = Stuart 2.0
Kichton = Postma 2.0

Jordan Subban was drafted early in the second.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Morrisey will be a stud. H3 is in a great positi9n to be phased into a career. Top pair with moose with aro7nd 20 nhl games this year due to callups and playoffs.

Guy wll have much beter transition to nhl than other top Defence picks.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Hah! OK, you're crazy. :) You should have added '15 to that list as well.

'11 could end up with the fewest NHLers of those but 2 top 9 Cs from one draft is still very good. '12 might have looked a little thin with just Trouba at the top and nothing more in the top 4 rounds except Kosmo (who still may turn out well). But then we got 2 good G prospects in the late rounds plus Olsen who is showing some promise. Adds up! '14 could be a little weak. We might end up with "only" Ehlers. Not ready to write-off the rest yet though. '15 is too soon to say but a lot of potential there too.

Agree with our past draft having the potential to produce like 2013 draft has and will.

As long as we hit with at least two draft picks per draft, playing meaningful minutes for the Jets, we would be a better than average drafting team. I believe Chevy has managed this.

Throw in the occasional bumper crop drafts like 13' and 15', Chevy has the system filled with a solid amount of talent, all with the potential of becoming NHLers. If 15 develops we could really have embarrassment of riches in our system.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Morrisey will be a stud. H3 is in a great positi9n to be phased into a career. Top pair with moose with aro7nd 20 nhl games this year due to callups and playoffs.

Guy wll have much beter transition to nhl than other top Defence picks.

Bah, Morrissey will be a dud. Guys who play in the A never make it as top defensemen. Take that Chicago slug, whatsisname, Duncan Keith. Never amounted to nothin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad