The 2011 AAA Draft Championship Series: Quad City Mallards vs. St. John's Ice Caps

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
First Units: We've reached a conclusion that MacNeil and Cavallini are the two best defensemen in the series. Cavallini was 8th in Norris Voting in 1989-90, and MacNeil was 10th in 1963-64, they also received all-star votes on several occasions. MacNeil serves as the preliminary defensive defenseman, who is strong in his own end, and was capable of hitting forwards' sticks with a breakout pass. Cavallini was a good two-way defenseman who played well offensively at even strength, and was also efficient defensively. It's a strong first pairing that will be able to contribute at both ends of the ice. Dewsbury is a good two-way defenseman, but I think he is a little behind Cavallini, Don Sweeney is a stay-at-home defenseman who should be reliable defensively, but cannot account for much offensively. This ones a moderate edge for the Ice Caps IMO.

Second Units: Our second pairing includes two strong defensive defensemen. Ed Kea, who played very proficient defensively during his career, and gained all-star voting recognition for it. Yuri Shatalov was pretty physical, and also very quick. This pairing will be matched up with the Mallards' top lines. Harold Snepsts is perhaps the most fearsome player in the series, his defensive ability and physicality is key. Boris Mironov is a capable offensive defenseman, so this is a good contrast pair. Where my unit is more of a shutdown pairing, the Mallards' line is also pretty strong at both ends.

Third Units: Dale Rolfe, a massive defensive defensemen, paired with power play ace, Jean Potvin, is a contrast pair. Potvin's role at even strength is not his primary, as he'll spend a lot of time on the PP. Rolfe will spend a little bit of time on the penalty kill, his long reach and man-on-man coverage is a huge asset to the defensive corps. Sean O'Donnell, a ruthless defensive defender, has been solid throughout his career, and Dmitri Mironov, the better offensive player of the brothers, will also make this line a contrasting pair. They are pretty similar pairings in my opinion, I'd be inclined to give Potvin the edge offensively, because he had the higher peak and was more consistent. And I'd give O'Donnell the defensive edge as he has a tendency to be more physical than Rolfe.

I won't comment on goaltending, because all the things explained above is the comparison.

Will compare special teams when I get the chance.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This Monday is Voting Day.

Send to Dave G your vote on the championship winner, over how many games, and the series three stars.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Reasons the Ice Caps should win the AAA Draft Title:

- Best offensive player in the series, Jimmy Carson will be able to play in his top form defensively being flanked by two-way forwards.
- Strong two-way ability throughout the entire forward corps, that can compete with whatever the Mallards' throw at them.
- Stronger defensive corps, with the ability to shut down opposition and generate offense.
- Steady goaltender who has a better blue line in front of him to eliminate prime scoring opportunities.

Thanks for the debate, BBS and to everyone else who contributed to the series.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
First Units: We've reached a conclusion that MacNeil and Cavallini are the two best defensemen in the series. Cavallini was 8th in Norris Voting in 1989-90, and MacNeil was 10th in 1963-64, they also received all-star votes on several occasions. MacNeil serves as the preliminary defensive defenseman, who is strong in his own end, and was capable of hitting forwards' sticks with a breakout pass. Cavallini was a good two-way defenseman who played well offensively at even strength, and was also efficient defensively. It's a strong first pairing that will be able to contribute at both ends of the ice. Dewsbury is a good two-way defenseman, but I think he is a little behind Cavallini, Don Sweeney is a stay-at-home defenseman who should be reliable defensively, but cannot account for much offensively.This ones a moderate edge for the Ice Caps IMO.

Agreed Cavallini and MacNeil take this one. Cavallini has an especially good AST voting record and I think finding out he's not the biggest PP contributor just means he's that much more valuable during ES minutes. MacNeil trails Dewsbury offensively but can still make a solid first pass so your pair should be fine clearing its own zone. Dewsbury is the most physical here and offensively talented so he still brings a lot to the Mallards. Sweeney's not the biggest guy and is a one-way player but he plays a very smart game and is still physical himself. My top pair should be effective but the Ice Caps are better here.

Second Units: Our second pairing includes two strong defensive defensemen. Ed Kea, who played very proficient defensively during his career, and gained all-star voting recognition forit. Yuri Shatalov was pretty physical, and also very quick. This pairing will be matched up with the Mallards' top lines. Harold Snepsts is perhaps the most fearsome player in the series, his defensive ability and physicality is key. Boris Mironov is a capable offensive defenseman, so this is a good contrast pair. Where my unit is more of a shutdown pairing, the Mallards' line is also pretty strong at both ends.

I like my newly formed second pair and think these are both solid groups. Boris is offensive-minded but still hits and as a puckmover he'll compliment Snepsts well. Kea has a few years of AST votes compared to one for Boris and Snepsts. Shatalov doesn't have many accolades but appears to have been a solid role player for the Soviet teams of the 70s. It sounds like he was a step above Snepsts's skating-wise but I think the Mallards second pair has an edge here. My biggest concern with Shatalov is that he wasn't particularly big. I just don't know if Kea and Shatalov would cause Walton and Connelly as much trouble as bigger or meaner defenders would. Whereas I feel Snepsts and Boris are definitely suited to match up against Carson's line as Snepsts's my most punishing defender and certainly capable of matching up with Mondou and Anderson.

Third Units: Dale Rolfe, a massive defensive defensemen,
paired with power play ace, Jean Potvin, is a contrast pair. Potvin's role at even strength is not his primary, as he'll spend a lot of time on the PP. Rolfe will spend a little bit of time on the penalty kill, his long reach and man-on-man coverage is a huge asset to the defensive corps. Sean O'Donnell, a ruthless defensive defender, has been solid throughout his career, and Dmitri Mironov, the better offensive player of the brothers, will also make this line a contrasting pair. They are pretty similar pairings in my opinion, I'd be inclined to give Potvin the edge offensively, because he had the higher peak and was more consistent. And I'd give O'Donnell the defensive edge as he has a tendency to be more physical than Rolfe.

These are pretty similar pairs and I think yours probably contributes more to special teams than mine, but mine may be a little more suited for tough ES minutes should they come. Rolfe actually has a solid voting record with two years of AST votes and one year he got some Norris votes. He and O'Donnell are also our two most playoff tested guys. O'Donnell's physicality is what brings him in this series and at any point either he, Snepsts, or Dewsbury will be on the ice to provide their physical game. Dmitri's my best puckmover and one of three all-stars in this series with Cavallini and Snepsts. Potvin has the higher peak and is more deadly on the PP but I think Dmitri is a bit better overall. These are two effective pairs which bolster our special teams but I think mine is better all-around.

PP
Sheppard-Walton-Connelly
Klima-CArson-Anderson

Adjusted PP points per season-GP-PP usage %
(NHL only)
Walton 27 552GP 57%
Connelly 28 371GP 71%

Carson 24 626GP 47%
Klima 18 786GP 47%
Anderson 16 814GP 43%

Dmitri 23 556GP 54%
Boris 18 716GP 45%

Potvin 21 613GP 56%
Cavallini 8 564 26%

As far as PPs go I prefer mine of the two groups. Carson is the best forward and Potvin the best defender but overall my groups hold up I believe. Connelly and Walton saw really heavy PP time during their NHL careers and their chemistry should be more deadly with the extra man. Sheppard is a decent scorer who will primarily help with puck retrieval. Your forwards are composed pretty similarly with Anderson probably a bit better at retrieving the puck with his bigger frame. Carson and Klima are very offensive-minded but I think they trail Walton and Connelly here a bit with Klima's weaker resume and the familiarity my two have. Potvin is the best pointman but Cavallini trails the Mironovs. I think the two brothers should anchor my PP well. It's close here for sure but I prefer my group.

PK
I think its pretty even but your defenders have a slight edge. MacNeil and Kea are a good defensive pair and probably above O'Donnell and Sweeney despite them being more physical. Also Rolfe should be a good addition to your PK with his large frame. He and Shatalov should be pretty even with Snepsts and Mironov. As far as forwards go I think Derlago is weaker than Savard but other than that its fairly close up front. I think it's pretty even here overall.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Why the Mallards should win
- Greater offensive depth, the Mallards can roll 4 lines and keep the Ice Caps honest with some solid scoring punch throughout each line.
- Physical group of defenders that will be particularly effective against the Ice Caps's top scorers. Carson and Klima are certainly insulated but they really won't have any matchups to avoid physical play which should help in the best of seven series.
- Great playoff record for my top scorers and more postseason experience on my blueline. Connelly and Walton had great postseasons together in Minnesota. O'Donnell, Dewsbury, and Dmitri Mironov are also the only defenders who won the Stanley Cup.
- As far as the goaltenders go I think playoffs are really the biggest edge either has. They both had impressive seasons beating out talented goaltenders and some other years they weren't so impressive. I think Palmateer gets the advantage because he has way more playoff games and he was pretty solid in them despite not being on the greatest teams. Forbes only had one chance where he allowed 7 goals in 2 games losing the Cup to Ottawa. This is really the only area there's a big difference between the two and for this reason I think Palmateer should get the edge here.

Playoff Scoring by our top 6 forwards
Connelly
11-7-18 in 24GP NHL
16-15-31 in 36GP WHA
Walton x2 SC winner
14-10-24 in 47GP NHL
20-15-35 in 23GP WHA
Carson
17-15-32 in 55GP
Klima
28-24-52 in 95GP
Anderson
9-18-27 in 37GP
McKechnie
7-5-12 15GP
McEachern
12-25-37 in 97GP
Rota
14-7-21 in 60GP
Mondou x2 SC winner
3-5-8 in 32GP
Gainor x1 SC winner
2-1-3 in 22GP
Sheppard x1 SC winner
0-0-0 in 10GP

Most experienced playoff defenders
Sweeney 19pts in 108GP
O'Donnell- 19 pts in 104GP, x1 SC
Snepsts- 15pts in 93GP
Dmitri- 36pts in 75GP, x1 SC
Rolfe- 29pts in 71GP
Cavallini- 35pts in 69GP
Potvin- 11pts in 39GP
MacNeil- 4pts in 37GP
Kea- 6pts in 32GP
Boris- 16pts in 25GP
Dewsbury- 6pts in 14GP, x1 SC

Thanks for the good series and debate Velociraptor. Everyone's input has been great as well and this should be a solid final to cap off the draft.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
In a 6 game series, the Quad City Mallards are your new AAA Draft Champions

your 3 stars:
Mike Palmateer
Mike Walton
Johnny Sheppard

HMs:
Victor Yakushev, Al Dewsbury, Jimmy Carson

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Close series for sure. Thanks for everyone who voted and my opponent Velociraptor :handclap:

This has been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to us reprising all these roles for the AA.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I came here to read the series to get ready to vote and am too late. Oops. First time that happened to me in awhile. The voting period for these things should really be more than 1 day. Oh well, at a 6 game series, my vote wouldn't have made a difference no matter who I voted for. Congrats to both teams and especially the winners.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Close series for sure. Thanks for everyone who voted and my opponent Velociraptor :handclap:

This has been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to us reprising all these roles for the AA.

Congratulations BBS, you drafted a fantastic team, I wish there was more on how to compare Forbes and Palmateer, but I think we covered it. Not bad winning your first championship on your first entry, :laugh:

I'm excited to see what you can do in the ATD, thanks for the great series and debate!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00