The 10th Annual Jason Bonsignore Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Umberger has yet to play, i'd hardly consider even labeling him a "prospective bust". Lets wait till next year and see how he plays.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
94 - Bonsignore
95 - Kelly, Ryan
96 - Volchkov, Craig Hiller (23rd OA)
97 - Tkachuk
98 - Heerema

I'm not going to post anything after 98 as it's still too early to tell. Brendl had bust written all over him... till this season with Carolina.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
db23 said:
Still, the top AHL goalies had averages under 2 per game. I think, there was about 10 of them under 2 per game. Their Save % were up around .930 to .950. So Pascal was near the bottom in both categories. The other thing is (not meaning to be cruel) he just LOOKS like he was born to lose. Every picture I've seen of him looks like a mug shot of a suspected car thief who is supporting a drug habit. ;)

Wow...

just because Leclaire isnt in the top-10 goalies in the AHL in his SECOND year... You think he is or will be a bust. Rediculous. Period.

Pascal is not near the bottom for SV%. He is right in the middle. That isnt bad, especially considering how much he has improved over the last season. And I am sure Crunch fans will agree that many nights Pascal kept them in the game. Yes, he had bad games, he is a young goalie... those two go together.

He is near the bottom for GAA. Big deal. The key part of that statistic is that he still has improved that half a goal a game since last year. Besides, its not like Goehring has a GAA under 2. His is 2.5, better but not all that much better than Leclaire's.

Age of Top-10 in GAA

Dubielewicz.. 26 ( College player... came to when 26, good numbers)
Labarbera.... 24 (2nd season - 2.56 GAA, .915 SV)
Stana......... 24 (Hasnt Played enough AHL games to track, but numbers are good.)
Kochan....... 30 (2nd season - 2.52 GAA, .907 SV)
Leighton...... 22 ( 2nd Season - 2.5 GAA, .912 SV)
Hauser........ 23 (College player in 1st season)
Thomas....... 29( 2nd season - 2.86GAA, .906 SV)
MacDonald... 24 (2nd season - 2.19GAA, .916SV)
Niittymaki.... 23 (2nd year guy, 1st season not spectacular, this years pretty good)
Ouellet........ 23 (2nd season - 2.72 GAA, .911 SV)

Compared with...

Leclaire....... 21 ( 2nd season - 3.04 GAA, .915 SV)

Not all that much different than the ten guys you mentioned. And those guys are older than leclaire is in his 2nd season, some slightly, some with a great difference. Has Leclaire repeated his performance of last season, then we might have some concern about him. But when a player can show improvement that signifigant it is rediculous for him to be talked about in this thread(based on his performance)

And your last reason is he looks "like he was born to lose"? :shakehead

21 years of age. He shouldnt even be mentioned as a possible bust, it is WAY to early to tell.

Improved his GAA by .5 goals a game since last year
Improved his SV% .025 since last year.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Ejh, no reason to talk logic against this bright fellow. He knows more than us, isn't it obvious? I mean, he has to know what kind of ragtag defense the Crunch has to begin with, then you add in the injury troubles of the parent club into the mix. Surely there must a thread about his 50 save shutout perfermonace against the Moose while his team was outshot 50-9 for the whole game, I mean there was already a thread about him giving up 7 goals to the Baby Leafs, surely there must a thread about a goalie that's actually done good instead of negative threads about someone that looks like he's born to lose.

db23

...well, someone has to win the award. Just like someone has to end up with the Queen of Spades. Everyone looks for reasons that their guy shouldn't get it. "They changed his style, they changed his pads, his grandfather died, whatever.......".

Once you have to come up with all sorts of reasons why the guy isn't succeeding it is usually a good sign that he deserves the "honour". :p:

db23

oilers_guy_eddie said:
Hey, you can't pin THAT clunker on us! Our flops from the 1996 draft were #6 Boyd Devereaux and #19 Mathieu Descoteau. Volchkov was Washington's fault. :help:

Yeah, but you know the Oilers would have taken him if he was available. :)

So would the Flames and the Habs for that matter. :shakehead

db23

Ejh18 said:
And your last reason is he looks "like he was born to lose"? :shakehead

Check out his pic and tell me I'm wrong. He makes Maxime Oullete look like David Beckham.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
db23 said:
...well, someone has to win the award. Just like someone has to end up with the Queen of Spades. Everyone looks for reasons that their guy shouldn't get it. "They changed his style, they changed his pads, his grandfather died, whatever.......".

Once you have to come up with all sorts of reasons why the guy isn't succeeding it is usually a good sign that he deserves the "honour". :p:

How about you re-read the reasons I gave you. You mention nothing from my last post... I researched all the numbers YOU brought up, but yet you still just ignore the facts and go continue to believe whatever it is you want to believe for whatever reason.

He has improved his goals against by .5 a game since last year.
He has imporved his save percentage by .025 since last year.

What more do you need?

The kid is 21. Period. End of story.

db23 said:
Check out his pic and tell me I'm wrong. He makes Maxime Oullete look like David Beckham.

Thank you for clarifying you weren't being sarcastic. This must be the most idiotic thing I have ever read. "He just looks like he was born to lose" Exactly what does his looks have to do with anything?

Dany Heatly doesnt exactly look like prince charming... You heard it here... he will be a bust... :shakehead

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
ducksflytogether said:
Upshall has been very good as a rookie in the AHL, Chistov had a bad soph season, but there's definetely a worse bust from 2001(here's looking at you, Svitov)
2001: Alexander Svitov

I know this is all in the spirit of fun, but watch for Svitov next year. He's clicked with the Jackets (especially over the last few weeks) and though he probably will never be an offensive dynamo (not that anyone thought he would), he's starting to show that Bobby Holik-type ability people keep describing him with.
I'm ecstatic that he's in Columbus.
I think you'll find your '01 bust elsewhere (maybe Leclaire :D)

SwOOsh*

oilers_guy_eddie said:
Hey, you can't pin THAT clunker on us! Our flops from the 1996 draft were #6 Boyd Devereaux and #19 Mathieu Descoteau. Volchkov was Washington's fault. :help:

Lies it was Edmonton :lol

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
One thing that most of the "Bonnie" winners shared in common is that in the year following the draft they did not improve their stats or move up a level of competition. From that you can get an idea of which of the newer candidates is legitimate. From 2001, Leclaire never improved his stats in the Q. Actually they got worse each year. He has never posted a GA average under 3 at any level. From 2002, Nystrom's stats at the U of M have gotten worse each year that he has been there. From 2003, Kastitsyn hasn't improved at all in the RSL and actually was demoted a couple of level's for most of the year. So they are my picks.

You prove just how little you know by looking at GAA to see if a goalie is good.

Roy had a GAA of 4.90 in his last year of JUNIOR. Enough said.

kyle

Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
db23 said:
Yeah, but you know the Oilers would have taken him if he was available. :)
They were probably cursing up a storm when he fell off the draft table. Man, what a terrible run of drafting. It really makes me cringe.

merlin

Mar 10, 2003
montreal
Visit site
isn't too early to have the award handed out to a 2003 draftee? When a guy has spent 3 years in the AHL with a few unproductive stints in the NHL, then you can talk about bust.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I don't think anyone can call Pyatt a bust, he's played 250+ games in the NHL, Kilger was a #4 overall pick and he's a 4th liner, sucks for ANA, but you don't have to be a superstar if picked top 10. And Connelly shouldn't be called a bust either, he's had injury problems, and a 45 point season (as well as 325 games). He could probably get 50-60 points if put on the first line of a team like Columbus.
Looking at the list, only anyone in 1997 or earlier can be called anything, after that it's all predictions.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
TheZodiac said:
Does anyone know why Daniel Tkaczuk just couldn't make the jump to the NHL? This kid was amazing, he had it all. I don't get it.

He was a guy that did everything well, but nothing spectacularly. All he needed was a chance, as his NHL numbers show. He just got buried, and blackballed as an attitude problem after:

a) waiting until the last minute before midnight to sign with CGY instead of re-entering the draft
b) refusing a conditioning demotion to the ECHL by St. Louis.

Indeed, Daniel's a different guy. But I think he just had a lot of passion to play at a higher level, and St. Louis buried him when they told him to sign anywhere he wanted in the minors while his NHL rights were still held by them. He led the AHL playoffs in scoring as long as he was in the running with Bridgeport, the skills were there, but St. Louis buried him like Montreal did Terry Ryan.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
I think its too early to call Leclaire a bust- He's had a decent season in the AHL. Dan Blackburn hasn't exactly been spectacular.

2001-Svitov

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
1999-Nikos Tselios
2000- Alexei Mikhnov(what ever happened to this guy)
2001-Svitov (once again -Leclaire plays for a bad team-his 3.00+ gaa doesnt tell the whole story- i mean look at this guys Save%
2002-Petr Taticek
2003-Robert Nillson

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Tkaczuk was getting chance with the Flames few years after the draft but then he was traded to StL in the Turek-trade. He never got chance to show in the StL.

This year he played in Finland, so did Warriner.

leafaholix*

nurminen31 said:
1999-Nikos Tselios
2000- Alexei Mikhnov(what ever happened to this guy)
2001-Svitov (once again -Leclaire plays for a bad team-his 3.00+ gaa doesnt tell the whole story- i mean look at this guys Save%
2002-Petr Taticek
2003-Robert Nillson
It's NILSSON.

Robert Nilsson.

No relation to Jeff Jillson.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Marmax said:
Since you arrival on these board I have been impressed by your lack of hockey knowledge and your crappy posts. You act like you were holding the truth while you obviously don't have a clue of what you are talking about. I would go as far to say that you have probably never see one of those guy that you label as bust. Kastitsyn doesn't have a pro contract yet and you are already calling him a bust. I mean what Thomas Vanek, Braydon Coburn, Hugh Jessiman or Michalek have done more this year than Kastitsyn? Squat. Still, they are good prospects. I would also add that Pascal Leclaire, Peter Taticek and Eric Nystrom are, IMO, far from reaching the "Bust" status. It isn't because high first rounders don't hit the NHL right away that they are bust.

I know what you mean. 6 months ago clowns were considering Bryan Allen a complete bust because he hadn't cracked the NHL fulltime. Bertuzzi was close to being a bust before Van got him. Naslund was marginal. Plenty of goalies have come from a slow steady development. Even Daigle is looking like a player most people had thought he would never be (even a lower standards than what was expected of him). Patience is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->