The 10th Annual Jason Bonsignore Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

I am getting a lot of flack for suggesting that certain top 10 picks could turn out to be total flops, so I went back 10 years in the draft to check things out. That led to the "Jason Bonsignore Award" in honour of the 4th overall pick in the 1994 draft. I offer some annual nominees for the award, suggest your own.

1994 - Jason Bonsignore
1995 - Terry Ryan
1996 - Alex Volchkov
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk
1998 - Jeff Heerema
1999 - Pavl Brendl
2000 - Lars Jonsson, Brent Krahn (tie)
2001 - Pascal Leclaire
2002 - Peter Taticek, Eric Nystrom (tie)
2003 - Andrei Kastitsyn

The worst offenders at the draft board seem to be Canadian teams, interestingly enough. Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, along with the Rangers.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
db23 said:
I am getting a lot of flack for suggesting that certain top 10 picks could turn out to be total flops, so I went back 10 years in the draft to check things out. That led to the "Jason Bonsignore Award" in honour of the 4th overall pick in the 1994 draft. I offer some annual nominees for the award, suggest your own.

1994 - Jason Bonsignore
1995 - Terry Ryan
1996 - Alex Volchkov
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk
1998 - Jeff Heerema
1999 - Pavl Brendl
2000 - Lars Jonsson, Brent Krahn (tie)
2001 - Pascal Leclaire
2002 - Peter Taticek, Eric Nystrom (tie)
2003 - Andrei Kastitsyn

The worst offenders at the draft board seem to be Canadian teams, interestingly enough. Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton, along with the Rangers.

I know I won't be the only person to say this, but don't you think its a little early to start labling guys from the 01 draft on as busts?

leafaholix*

1995 - Terry Ryan, Steve Kelly
1996 - Alexandre Volchkov, Johnathan Aitken
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk
1998 - Michael Rupp, Manny Malhotra, Rico Fata,
1999 - Brian Finley, Tim Connolly, Kris Beech, Pavel Brendl
2000 - Brent Krahn
2001 - Stanislav Chistov
2002 - Scottie Upshall
2003 - Braydon Coburn

db23

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
I know I won't be the only person to say this, but don't you think its a little early to start labling guys from the 01 draft on as busts?

They are only "nominees" remember. History shows that at least one top 10 pick every year is a major bust.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Rangers_23 said:
2002 - Lee Farlardeau

The Rangers strike again! :banghead:

I believe the award is for 1st rounders. Sather took a dumb gamble with Falardeau but didn't do too badly later in the '02 draft.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Kubina_Fan said:
I'm not quite ready to declare Pascal Leclaire as the winner in 2001. I think that one could make a very strong case for Mikko Koivu or Fredrik Sjostrom.

Koivu maybe but Sjostrom? :dunno:

Leclaire was my bust of the draft since day one and he hasn't disapointed.

thestonedkoala

Wait until Koivu comes over and Sjostorm is just getting started in the NHL.

riles

Apr 8, 2002
Visit site
TheZodiac said:
Does anyone know why Daniel Tkaczuk just couldn't make the jump to the NHL? This kid was amazing, he had it all. I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure he was having some success in Calgary but sustained a concussion, and wasn't the same player afterwards. I could be wrong about that though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
before brendl got hurt this season - he looked awesome. he was working hard and doing a good job of fighting to loose pucks - as well as scoring some pretty amazing goals. if you want to call him a bust at 22, fine. i know carolina fans think he's doing just fine.
pascal leclaire looked great in the game i saw him play. upshall seems right on track.......coburn a nominee for bust? you should cut the years off at 1999, anyone after that still can avoid the tag.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Kubina_Fan said:
I'm not quite ready to declare Pascal Leclaire as the winner in 2001. I think that one could make a very strong case for Mikko Koivu or Fredrik Sjostrom.

Koivu maybe, because he was so highly touted and all, but Sjostrom has been playing on the Coyotes almost all year, even seeing first line minutes.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Extremely premature to be judging some of those years. I would say that 97 or 98 is probably the earliest year we could be giving out a "bust" award.

Nystrom's developing nicely for the Flames actually and Krahn is far from being a bust yet.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Its quite laughable to hear peopel calling Pascal LeClaire a bust.

The guy turned 21 half way through this year. And he is a goalie. Havent we learnt anything with goalies??? They take long to develop and you need to be patient.

It cost Calgary AND Hartford/Carolina when they both dealt JS Giguere when he was in his early 20's.

Turco didnt even play in the NHL until he was 25.

Kipper this year is ANOTHER example of late bloomers.

I dont think you can classify ANY goalie a bust at age 21.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Extremely premature to be judging some of those years. I would say that 97 or 98 is probably the earliest year we could be giving out a "bust" award.

Nystrom's developing nicely for the Flames actually and Krahn is far from being a bust yet.

I agree 100%!

You cant call 22 year olds busts.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
PhoPhan said:
Koivu maybe, because he was so highly touted and all, but Sjostrom has been playing on the Coyotes almost all year, even seeing first line minutes.

Well i dont agree that either are busts as of April 2004 :)

BUT Sjostrom played in PHX but so did a bunch of other players this year thanks to injury, and compared to some rookies Fredrick only played average.

But i still like him so dont jump all over me :)

leafaholix*

Epsilon said:
Some people are unbearably impatient. Do this poll in 1991 and you would have probably seen a bunch of "Teemu Selanne is a bust" posts...
What?

Selanne was tearing up the Finnish league in '91... none of these players are dominating any league.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Leafaholix said:
What?

Selanne was tearing up the Finnish league in '91... none of these players are dominating any league.

It's more of the "omg this guy isn't over in North America yet - BUST" attitude that you see frequently, as if bringing a guy along slowly nowadays automatically makes him junk.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
1995 - Terry Ryan, Steve Kelly
1996 - Alexandre Volchkov, Johnathan Aitken
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk
1998 - Michael Rupp, Manny Malhotra, Rico Fata,
1999 - Brian Finley, Tim Connolly, Kris Beech, Pavel Brendl
2000 - Brent Krahn
2001 - Stanislav Chistov
2002 - Scottie Upshall
2003 - Braydon Coburn

I think Taticek or Nystrom have a better chance at the Bonnie award than Upshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad