Thank you, Ryan Carpenter

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Thank you, Ryan. Very weird to see the Sharks waive him. Carpenter seemed like a good fit for what DeBoer wanted from his 4C. O'Regan is going to suck at 4C if he's playing with Ward and Sorensen/Goodrow every game...it would have been a different story if O'Regan was playing with Meier and Labanc. I also don't see why Vegas wanted Carpenter...they seem to have plenty of 4th liners on that team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Thank you, Ryan. Very weird to see the Sharks waive him. Carpenter seemed like a good fit for what DeBoer wanted from his 4C. O'Regan is going to suck at 4C if he's playing with Ward and Sorensen/Goodrow every game...it would have been a different story if O'Regan was playing with Meier and Labanc. I also don't see why Vegas wanted Carpenter...they seem to have plenty of 4th liners on that team.

I agree that Carpenter is a good 4th line Center but I'm not surprised the Sharks waived him. I even predicted a few days ago that this would happen at some point. I'm also surprised that somebody claimed...you usually don't claim typical 4th liners off waiver. Having said that, he's not the 1st one this season (Dumont or DiDomenico for example). Still odd.
DeBoer obviously wants all four lines to score and maybe also a bit more speed in the lineup. Watching Carpenter, Ward and Karlsson is like watching the game in slowmotion.
I agree though that O'Regan is kind of useless with slow linemates. If the plan is to play O'Regan as the 4th line Center then they have to keep Sorensen on his line to make sure O'Regan has at least one winger with a certain minimum of speed and skill to play with.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I agree that Carpenter is a good 4th line Center but I'm not surprised the Sharks waived him. I even predicted a few days ago that this would happen at some point. I'm also surprised that somebody claimed...you usually don't claim typical 4th liners off waiver. Having said that, he's not the 1st one this season (Dumont or DiDomenico for example). Still odd.
DeBoer obviously wants all four lines to score and maybe also a bit more speed in the lineup. Watching Carpenter, Ward and Karlsson is like watching the game in slowmotion.

From what I've noticed, DeBoer doesn't really believe in the 4 speed/skill line approach. He usually has a defensively sound/grinder 4th line (Ward, Zubrus, etc. come to mind). Carpenter, despite his struggles, fit that mold. O'Regan is going to struggle if he's deployed in that role. The only time I can recall DeBoer going away from that approach is in last year's playoffs with Meier-Tierney-Sorensen...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
From what I've noticed, DeBoer doesn't really believe in the 4 speed/skill line approach. He usually has a defensively sound/grinder 4th line (Ward, Zubrus, etc. come to mind). Carpenter, despite his struggles, fit that mold. O'Regan is going to struggle if he's deployed in that role. The only time I can recall DeBoer going away from that approach is in last year's playoffs with Meier-Tierney-Sorensen...

Sorensen is also more of a grinder but at least he's a decent skater with a bit of skill. DeBoer just has to stop playing speedsters with slow ones and skilled players with plugs. It doesn't work. Karlsson may make better decisions (besides taking ill advised penalties) than for example Labanc or Meier and therefore score a few goals when playing with the Joe's but he's still killing the Joe's when playing with them. It's terrible to watch. Ward also doesn't work with Centers like O'Regan or Tierney. Somebody please tell DeBoer. When did Boedker play his best hockey? As soon as DeBoer started to play him on a faster line. Having O'Regan as the 4th line Center is fine but this means he has to have somebody to play with. Like Sorensen, Hansen or Boedker.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's possible that Carpenter asked to be waived in a "If I'm not going to play regularly in the NHL then I'd rather play full time in the AHL or get an opportunity elsewhere". Wouldn't be the first time DW's done this for a player.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
It's possible that Carpenter asked to be waived in a "If I'm not going to play regularly in the NHL then I'd rather play full time in the AHL or get an opportunity elsewhere". Wouldn't be the first time DW's done this for a player.
I was having a similar thought.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sorensen is also more of a grinder but at least he's a decent skater with a bit of skill. DeBoer just has to stop playing speedsters with slow ones and skilled players with plugs. It doesn't work. Karlsson may make better decisions (besides taking ill advised penalties) than for example Labanc or Meier and therefore score a few goals when playing with the Joe's but he's still killing the Joe's when playing with them. It's terrible to watch. Ward also doesn't work with Centers like O'Regan or Tierney. Somebody please tell DeBoer. When did Boedker play his best hockey? As soon as DeBoer started to play him on a faster line. Having O'Regan as the 4th line Center is fine but this means he has to have somebody to play with. Like Sorensen, Hansen or Boedker.

Boedker played very well with Hansen and Hertl last year because they played a faster game rather than grinding it out along the boards. I think he would be pretty good with O'Regan and Goodrow on the 4th line.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

I get your overall point, but Carpenter has played in more than half of our games so far and was on pace to play 45-50 games this year. I'd have a hard time believing that anyone would choose the AHL over that. It's not like he was getting benched constantly like Nieto. He was getting his share of opportunities. Why would he say, "screw it, send me back to the A"?

Him hoping for a better opportunity elsewhere is another thing, but again, he was playing a fair amount for a bubble player trying to earn a spot.

Domm

Jun 26, 2008
the man of god going to the city of sin, good luck! too bad the goals didn't translate to the nhl level.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
16 games...0 goals, 1 assist...The assists didn't translate either...

From a 4th liner, I'm only seeing points as a bonus. The defensive stuff and faceoffs for a center are what I'm putting more emphasis on. Carpenter was on the plus side for those things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad