Tribute Thank you Erik Karlsson

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Unfortunate that he came into a bad situation with the Sharks, and that injuries derailed a couple years for him, but ultimately Erik made the Sharks at least somewhat fun to watch during these rough times. Plus, we'll always have that 2019 run from him that he was stellar in, plus the greatest season by a defenseman in 30+ years.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Thanks Erik. I hope some of the dmen learned some tips and tricks from you. Because if I was a dman I would try to absorb everything. Your greatest value is what you can do for others so yea we'll see ya, bud.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Thank you EK65!
I feel bad for saying this, since I was super excited about having him in teal BUT It feels like EK65 was kinda our Mark Messier in Vancouver. Not as bad obviously but there is some of that feeling imo, something was missing.
He was never truly a forever Shark, he was good but never like Thornton/Pavs/Marleau/Burns or even Couture good.

Reactions: ChompChomp and teal

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
EK65’s time in SJ was similar to my time in college

Year 1 ok then finish strong before falling off
Year 2-4 lazing around and doing a whole bunch of nothing
Year 5 get serious and do really well then move onto a well known organization with high short term expectations

So basically the Sharks were a college fraternity for EK65

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks Erik! You came in with weird circumstances (you didn't really want to leave Ottawa). You left in weird circumstances (requesting a trade). Despite this, I still like ya and hope you lift the cup someday (but not at the expense of our draft position).

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Man, Im fearing what life will be like without him right now. One less guy to move the puck out of the dzone and many more Vladic lobs to the middle of nowhere are playing in my head rightnow

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
The day you were acquired I was so happy. Second most happiest day in terms of trade acquisitions to Jumbo. I remember running to my phone and starting a FB post with "THE SHARKS HAVE ACQUIRED THE BEST DEFENSEMAN IN THE WORLD!!!!!"

You were on the short list of people I've pipe dreamed about in teal. (Evander Kane was another, but this is about you, the real EK) And then it happened and that moment was awesome.

It's a shame that injuries derailed your run, especially 2019. Man if you were 100% throughout the 2019 playoffs....

I appreciate a lot of Sharks fans look at with you disdain, but not me. I think of you as a generational offensive defenseman and glad you were a Shark for five seasons. And it helps that you were a good dude and good locker room guy. I'll never forget Sharks/Bronze Knights Game 6 2019 and you telling Hertl "Nice shot you f****** b*****".

Thank you EK65. Good luck in the remainder of your career!

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I asked ChatGPT to write him a tribute.

Man, AI is scary:

Oh, Erik Karlsson, what a journey we've had with you in San Jose. From the moment you arrived, we were filled with hope and excitement. We envisioned you leading our team to glory, effortlessly gliding across the ice, dazzling us with your incredible skills. And boy, did you deliver... sometimes.

We'll never forget those moments when you effortlessly controlled the game, making impossible plays seem routine. Your smooth skating and pinpoint passes were a joy to behold. We were grateful for your contributions, especially when you helped us reach the playoffs and provided some thrilling moments.

But let's be honest, Erik. You weren't always at your best. Injuries seemed to plague you, and when you were on the ice, there were times when it seemed like you were in a different game altogether. We watched in frustration as turnovers piled up, defensive lapses occurred, and the goals against kept coming. It was like a rollercoaster ride, only without the fun.

And now, as you leave us for Pittsburgh, we're left with mixed emotions. Grateful for the memories you provided, but also relieved that we won't have to endure the rollercoaster anymore. We'll miss your occasional brilliance, but we won't miss the inconsistency that came with it.

So, Erik Karlsson, thank you for your time in San Jose. We wish you the best in Pittsburgh, where hopefully you'll find the consistency and success you couldn't quite achieve with us. Farewell, and may your new team appreciate your talents more than we sometimes did.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Oh, what should have been.. I was absolutely ecstatic when the Sharks landed him. It didn't work out as the Sharks wanted in the end.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think in 10 years we'll look back at "the Karlsson era" and focus on the bread, as @OrrNumber4 put it. The meat, if you will, will probably be viewed in the prism of Covid and as occurring during the natural transitional nadir that came end of the Thronton Era. Ultimately, Karlsson's down years didnt matter because the team was falling apart either way (we had Boughner as a coach lol).

But his strong years got us a memorable cup run and last seasons, for the first time since Covid, Sharks hockey was fun to watch, and he was the singular reason.

Glad we got to see him in Teal, we're lucky

Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I asked ChatGPT to write him a tribute.

Man, AI is scary:

Oh, Erik Karlsson, what a journey we've had with you in San Jose. From the moment you arrived, we were filled with hope and excitement. We envisioned you leading our team to glory, effortlessly gliding across the ice, dazzling us with your incredible skills. And boy, did you deliver... sometimes.

We'll never forget those moments when you effortlessly controlled the game, making impossible plays seem routine. Your smooth skating and pinpoint passes were a joy to behold. We were grateful for your contributions, especially when you helped us reach the playoffs and provided some thrilling moments.

But let's be honest, Erik. You weren't always at your best. Injuries seemed to plague you, and when you were on the ice, there were times when it seemed like you were in a different game altogether. We watched in frustration as turnovers piled up, defensive lapses occurred, and the goals against kept coming. It was like a rollercoaster ride, only without the fun.

And now, as you leave us for Pittsburgh, we're left with mixed emotions. Grateful for the memories you provided, but also relieved that we won't have to endure the rollercoaster anymore. We'll miss your occasional brilliance, but we won't miss the inconsistency that came with it.

So, Erik Karlsson, thank you for your time in San Jose. We wish you the best in Pittsburgh, where hopefully you'll find the consistency and success you couldn't quite achieve with us. Farewell, and may your new team appreciate your talents more than we sometimes did.
90% confident ChatGPT is an HF Boards poster

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
90% confident ChatGPT is an HF Boards poster
hahhahahaha
oz.gif

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I still think choosing Karlsson over Pavelski hurt this franchise in the long run, but there were spurts where it was worth it. I hope he has success in Pittsburgh and wins a cup. I would rather see Pittsburgh win a cup than Vegas again.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I still think choosing Karlsson over Pavelski hurt this franchise in the long run, but there were spurts where it was worth it. I hope he has success in Pittsburgh and wins a cup. I would rather see Pittsburgh win a cup than Vegas again.
It was more the Kane trade and signing that pushed us over the tipping point. That trade forced us to give Ottawa the Stutzle pick and the choice was signing Kane over Pavelski. Regardless, I don't think signing Pavelski would've prevented us from getting to this point. He might have helped us wallow in mediocrity for a few more years before completely bottoming out though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad