Toronto FC: TFC 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
so what? on a per capita basis there are more teams in canada then in the usa.

who cares about soccer?

Like 5 billion more people than there are fans of the CFL.

Honestly I wasn't taking shots at the CFL. It was joke. Relax

Also it's a TFC thread. Want to talk Argos, go to that thread. I'm sure all 5 of you will have a blast.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Like 5 billion more people than there are fans of the CFL.

Honestly I wasn't taking shots at the CFL. It was joke. Relax

Also it's a TFC thread. Want to talk Argos, go to that thread. I'm sure all 5 of you will have a blast.

cool. is that another joke? let us know.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone able to make it to the parade? How big was the crowd?

Both the MLS and the CFL are equally as irrelevant in terms of North American sports leagues. Perhaps both fanbases should hop off their high horses, and simply enjoy the respective championships.

Nice try, bud.

The CFL has no foothold whatsoever in the US.

MLS is a better draw in it's 3 Canadian cities than the CFL.

Atlanta's getting 40k plus per game...you don't understand vthe meaning of "irrelevant"

Reactions: Mats13

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'll just assume you woke up thinking you were still in 1996.

Nope, 2017. Where the leagues are squarely #5/#6 among North American sports in terms of total revenue and revenue per team. If one wants to include non-pro juggernauts NCAA football and basketball, they drop down to #7/#8.

The MLS is bigger, but they're equally as irrelevant as one another.

Nice try, bud.

The CFL has no foothold whatsoever in the US.

MLS is a better draw in it's 3 Canadian cities than the CFL.

Atlanta's getting 40k plus per game...you don't understand vthe meaning of "irrelevant"

Actually, one could make a case that your comprehension of the sentence "irrelevant in terms of North American sports" is what's lacking.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Both the MLS and the CFL are equally as irrelevant in terms of North American sports leagues. Perhaps both fanbases should hop off their high horses, and simply enjoy the respective championships.
I thought the MLS was doing well? The US missing the World Cup will hurt though.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
It's relevant in Toronto for sure.

Oh of course. There's no doubting that.

Hockey is relevant in Toronto, and is #1 on the totem pole. That doesn't change the fact that the NHL is #4 with a bullet in N.A., a barely relevant itself. But I digress. My goal is not to criticize the league or TFC, it was simply to tell the supporters (incl. those who came in this thread grunting about the CFL) to simply enjoy their championships and not be petty.

I would have made my way to the parade had I been in town.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Oh of course. There's no doubting that.

Hockey is relevant in Toronto, and is #1 on the totem pole. That doesn't change the fact that the NHL is #4 with a bullet in N.A., a barely relevant itself. But I digress. My goal is not to criticize the league or TFC, it was simply to tell the supporters (incl. those who came in this thread grunting about the CFL) to simply enjoy their championships and not be petty.

I would have made my way to the parade had I been in town.
Yeah, I couldn't make it down myself. I'll try and make it to Pittsburgh this year for the Steelers parade!!!

Not sure if it was televised but they brought a few players out to drop the puck before the Edmonton game, fans gave them a great ovation.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah, I couldn't make it down myself. I'll try and make it to Pittsburgh this year for the Steelers parade!!!

Not sure if it was televised but they brought a few players out to drop the puck before the Edmonton game, fans gave them a great ovation.

Yeah, Southern Ontarians are great. They really get behind a winner and show support in a very loving way.

I'm not even going to acknowledge your Steeler comment. We can argue about that in the OT thread. :laugh:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I was approached Sunday by someone looking to partner up for Season Tickets.
Any Subscribers posting here?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Out of curiosity I just watched the MLS final. Congratulations with the title. The atmosphere on the stadium was pretty good. Is that normal or was it just because it was the final? Also almost 31 k is pretty good.

The commentators said that Toronto FC's salary budget was 23 mio $/year which is a staggering amount considering the level of play on the pitch. What level would you consider the MLS to be at if you should compare it to a european league? They also said that you had 21 k season tickets at an average of 400 canadian dollars. That would mean 8,4 mio dollars in revenue, which would indicate that the club runs with a big surplus. Is it build up around owners as well?

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
Out of curiosity I just watched the MLS final. Congratulations with the title. The atmosphere on the stadium was pretty good. Is that normal or was it just because it was the final? Also almost 31 k is pretty good.

The commentators said that Toronto FC's salary budget was 23 mio $/year which is a staggering amount considering the level of play on the pitch. What level would you consider the MLS to be at if you should compare it to a european league? They also said that you had 21 k season tickets at an average of 400 canadian dollars. That would mean 8,4 mio dollars in revenue, which would indicate that the club runs with a big surplus. Is it build up around owners as well?

Obviously, the atmosphere was a little more electric than usual because it was the final but TFC's crowd is known for being one of the most boisterous in MLS so you got a pretty good view of what it's like during big regular season games.

It's pretty hard to compare different leagues with eachother. Similar to how you'd get debate when comparing certain hockey leagues to eachother. I'm assuming by a "european league", you mean like La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundeslia, EPL, etc., but it's important to note that MLS is stronger than a lot of European leagues. There's an interesting article here (MLS gains ground in league rankings) that suggests MLS is the #12 league in the world. That was done a few years ago but I think it's still approximately accurate. Someone earlier said the league is #15 in revenue, which isn't surprising. I'm pretty sure MLS is top 5 in the world when it comes to attendance. The TV numbers still lag further behind, so much so that I'm pretty sure TFC runs a deficit. They obviously have the millions in dollars in salary, but plenty of other operating costs. Speaking of which, the salary levels are really skewed by Giovinco, Bradley and Altidore making way more than they would in Europe. This was probably necessary to entice them to come over at a time when there were definitely stars of their calibre in MLS but fewer of them than there are now. Now, if we had the salary cap room, we might be able to entice a player of Bradley's ilk for less than what it took to bring him over a few years ago. I think the salaries for non Designated Players (Giovinco, Bradley, and Altidore are Designated Players - you can only have 3 but you can pay them as much as you want and they only count for a certain number of dollars against the salary cap) are pretty fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->