Toronto FC: TFC 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Let's kick off a new thread for the new season.

A very short off season for the MLS Cup finalists, and they are back at it starting today against Real Salt Lake.

4:30 PM on TSN 1 and 4.

Not as much turnover this off season, so hope they pick up where they left off (well, except for the last game :laugh:).

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Player that is loaned?

Question: what does it mean when a team has a player loaned to them? Does the team acquiring him have to pay him? And what type of salary?

I'm watching the whitecaps game. They have Freddie montero on loan. I'm assuming this was vancouvers so called big move BUT he doesn't even start.

Seems weird.

Thanks

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
It basically just means the team taking the player on loan has to pay the player's salary for the duration of the loan, which is typically one season long. He didn't start this game -- still scored as a sub -- but he will undoubtedly be a starter for the Whitecaps. He's got lots of quality and the club invested a lot in him to only be a bench player.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
2-2 draw on the road in Philly today. Took the lead in the 71st minute but gave it right back 2 minutes later. I liked that they were going for it offensively late in the game and had a few good chances.

Giovinco was subbed off late in the 1st after an injury. Hopefully not too serious.

In Vancouver next weekend.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Watched the game. Too bad such a d breakdown after we made it 2-1. It looked bad on TV. But a point is a point :)

On a separate note I think goaltending in soccer is over rated. Based on they hardly face any offense on most nights.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Getting ties on the road is fantastic!

One more on the road (@VAN) and then the home opener (vKC).

Hope it is warmer for the home opener than it was in Philly! lol

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I've watched a couple of games from the Chinese super league. What level would this be? Better than MLS? Or close? Or am I way off lol

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I've watched a couple of games from the Chinese super league. What level would this be? Better than MLS? Or close? Or am I way off lol

EDIT: I misread your question.

The Chinese super league is considered lower than MLS. The ownership groups for these Chinese teams have very deep pockets and backing by the government. So they have the ability to splash a lot of cash on big name players and grab some attention. Most teams other than the big name players are filled with Chinese players, who are not on par with the non DP American/Canadian players.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Gio tantrum

Oh oh Gio is disgruntled and had a tantrum tonight. That can't be good. After scoring two goals he was taken off in the 85th minute. He didn't like that at all. Stay tuned.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Now that the Leafs are out, starting to pay closer attention. TFC with a dominant performance at home tonight for their second consecutive victory, and moving back up the standings.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
That second goal had me wondering what league I was watching for a minute. Edwards looks like the real deal down the wing. Something this squad has lacked

Yeah, Raheem Edwards could be the best prospect to come out of our Academy.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Those were the two nicest goals TFC have scored in the same game I think.

That was exciting and fun to watch (granted I missed them live).

I can't stand the long ball game... ugh.

Big week for the Reds if they can get some three pointers put away at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->