Text of Jim Balsillie's letter to Mario Lemieux

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i wonder if we'll ever see the contents of "the NHL Consent Agreement" ?

this is a juicy soap opera !!!

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Text of Jim Balsillie's letter to Mario Lemieux

Friday, December 22, 2006
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06356/748170-61.stm

Wow, that is a great letter. Sounds clearly like Balsillie remains very interested in purchasing the franchise, but has a problem with the NHL's conditions on the sale and that he hopes they can be worked out.

Obviously I don't believe everything I hear or see, but...this seems to be a commitment from Balsillie to work with the Penguins and the City of Pittsburgh to get a new arena built despite the stupidity that was the slots decision.

Will definitely be interested to watch where this goes from here.

Firefighter Havok

Jul 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sorry but I don't believe a word in this letter, and I don't believe a word that this man says. He dumped out the first time, I don't think he deserves a second chance. This letter was slickly worded like a politician's speech. Sorry, not buying it...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry but I don't believe a word in this letter, and I don't believe a word that this man says. He dumped out the first time, I don't think he deserves a second chance. This letter was slickly worded like a politician's speech. Sorry, not buying it...

Seconded. Sounds like he wants to get Mario on board to pressure Bettman into the sale w/o conditions, and then will declare the offer 'inadequate' at first opportunity, even if it was a free arena which the City is virtually offering now, and then move the team. Isn't this the same guy who stole the idea his whole company was based on, and use the legal process to wait out the actual inventors of the Blackberry and steal their idea from them for peanuts 'settlement' dollars? Yeah, he is as trustworthy as they come.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004

why don't you trust politicians ? have you ever held public office. ran for office ?

have you ever offered $ 175 million for something before ?

perhaps you shouldn't judge until this plays out.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Seconded. Sounds like he wants to get Mario on board to pressure Bettman into the sale w/o conditions, and then will declare the offer 'inadequate' at first opportunity, even if it was a free arena which the City is virtually offering now, and then move the team. Isn't this the same guy who stole the idea his whole company was based on, and use the legal process to wait out the actual inventors of the Blackberry and steal their idea from them for peanuts 'settlement' dollars? Yeah, he is as trustworthy as they come.

he's an accountant. lazardis is the technological brains behind rim and balsillie is the finance. under your theory it would be lazardis who is the thief.

your argument is poppycock. you surmise a false premise to charactize him a liar.

it is you who should look in the mirror.

here's some advice. close your eyes and don't think about it for the next three months. i've been through this as a fan. luckily pittsburgh has owners willing to put up their own money, and the arena will be built. 99% of everything you read in the next while will be BS, so don't even worry about it. it's all about business, and the interested parties are just maximizing their returns, at the expense of the fans' emotions. the team isn't moving.

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
why don't you trust politicians ?

:biglaugh: I found this hilarious to ask a Pens fan.

See this whole arena debacle then tell us why we don't trust politicians.

As for JB, I still don't trust him any further then I could throw him. Mario seemed pretty peeved during his press conference and I'd be shocked if he'd be willing to sell to him now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Just my opinion, but on first glance I thought that there were a few veiled threats in there.

Canucks19*

Classy move by Jim.....Ive gained some respect for him, and i understand why he would withdraw his offer..... bettman took advantage of the situation and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar....

Bobby Orr

I was hoping you would agree to go arm and arm with me to the Commissioner and make one last effort to get our deal done.

Sounds very Wizard-of-Ozish.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Sounds like he is still angling in. This whole situation is surreal from a Pens fan perspective. The local and state governments have failed Mario many times in the last seven years. Balsillie is playing on that to acquire the team and I'm nearly certain he would move them.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

You might want to read up on the case between NTP and Blackberry before you go making such outlandish statements. You come across as nothing more than a bitter Penguins fan.

weezman

-He pulls out after NHL doesn't want him to move the team for a long time. Deal is dead.
-Penguins miss out on slot licenses and have to look elsewhere. Balsillie is silent.
-Mario comes out and says they may have relocate the team. Balsillie writes a letter to get back in.

I think his intentions are pretty clear.

JoeP

Dec 16, 2006
He pulls out after NHL doesn't want him to move the team for a long time. Deal is dead.
-Penguins miss out on slot licenses and have to look elsewhere. Balsillie is silent.
-Mario comes out and says they may have relocate the team. Balsillie writes a letter to get back in.

I really don't think that he could be any more obvious, any more clearer than he has been.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
-He pulls out after NHL doesn't want him to move the team for a long time. Deal is dead.

But even before the IoC lost the bid, it has been mentioned several times that Balsillie was still interested in the team. Or was that just baseless speculation ?

Artyukhin*

Funny how some label JB as a bad man .Atleast he makes it clear he wants to try to work under pan B .
id be MUCH more afraid of MARIO'S FRIEND and biz partner

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16293680.htm
"It's exciting news that Mario made that statement," said Del Biaggio, a San Jose-based businessman and limited partner in the NHL's San Jose Sharks. "It means the Kansas City market and other markets are now an option, where before they weren't.

Del Biaggio said he has been in touch with Paul McGannon, president of NHL21 -- the grass-roots organization dedicated to brining the NHL to Kansas City_concerning a ticket drive.

McGannon said the mechanisms for taking season-ticket deposits will be announced in January. All 72 suites in the Sprint Center, which will seat 17,297 for hockey, have been sold, and a plan to begin marketing the 1,766 club seats is scheduled to launch in January.

"Things are going to move quickly," McGannon said. "(Lemieux) has a business to run, and like any other business owner, he's looking for a land of opportunity. We're the land of opportunity."

cc

Feb 28, 2002
how many buyers would have been interested in this team with as many restrictions placed on JB? Teams have relocated under Bettman's regime with nary a peep from him including Winnipeg, who's fans loved their team. I don't blame JB for originally pulling out of the deal at all. JB is acting no different than any other buyer so it doen't make any sense to villify him at all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Regardless of what happened or what anyone's intentions are, Basille goes to the back of the line

JTH

Nov 19, 2005
Canada
This may be true. At the same time, if Jim Balsillie's latest offer is significantly higher than market value (or offers by other potential bidders), his position on that queue may be bumped up a few places.

Regardless of what happened or what anyone's intentions are, Basille goes to the back of the line

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
how many buyers would have been interested in this team with as many restrictions placed on JB? Teams have relocated under Bettman's regime with nary a peep from him including Winnipeg, who's fans loved their team. I don't blame JB for originally pulling out of the deal at all. JB is acting no different than any other buyer so it doen't make any sense to villify him at all.

I think the league turned a blind eye as long as a team was being relocated further south, and/or was being relocated within the US.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think the league turned a blind eye as long as a team was being relocated further south, and/or was being relocated within the US.

Nor is it an entirely empty threat, because four franchises have shifted on Bettman's watch, all in a mid-1990s cluster -- Minnesota to Dallas in '93, Quebec City to Colorado in '95, Winnipeg to Phoenix in '96, and Hartford to Carolina in '97 -- though the latter three were all cleanups of World Hockey Association cities the NHL never wanted in the first place.

But franchises don't move without a lot of heartache and bad press, and the NHL in the U.S. isn't exactly a juggernaut at the moment. With all the mileage the Pens and the league have got out of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, do they really need to take a chance on leaping into the great unknown of what might be yet another marginal hockey market?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=9bf4e517-cf40-4664-82c5-78764ca33fba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->