GDT: Texas Stars @ OKC Barons: Sat. 12/22 6PM, We're Still Alive But The Barons Still Suck

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Push till the buzzer. Props to Hartski and Paajarvi. And to the Texas corps!

Roussell, who, we'll add, smartly but d*ckishly refused to drop 'em with Byers, punches Lander in the face at the end of the game.

Call in the artillery.

Yeah he's a real tough guy, too bad Tyrvainen is hurt right now as he'd be pulling the same **** to the Stars. Gazdik or whatever his name is seems to want a dance partner as well so we may as well oblige and bring up Abney.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Seriously...Rousell beaking Fedun and punching Lander in the face.

I think I misused the "tough guy" label when talking about him and Bagnall. They are just annoying pests who won't stand up for themselves.

Every team's got pests - ours was/is Hordichuk. He'll do the same - it's a pain to play against them. You need a nuclear deterrent, it seems, at this level. House, Teubert, Byers, they can't beat 'em. Abney, though.

Doesn't matter for the game, but it matters for the series.

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Yeah he's a real tough guy, too bad Tyrvainen is hurt right now as he'd be pulling the same **** to the Stars. Gazdik or whatever his name is seems to want a dance partner as well so we may as well oblige and bring up Abney.

Agreed. Tyrvainen brings an underrated edge to this team.

On another note - it always seems like Lander's on the front of this. Dude just likes being the center of attention!

Get it!? Because he's the center?!?

Sorry.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Every team's got pests - ours was/is Hordichuk. He'll do the same - it's a pain to play against them. You need a nuclear deterrent, it seems, at this level. House, Teubert, Byers, they can't beat 'em. Abney, though.

Doesn't matter for the game, but it matters for the series.

Interestingly enough Abney only has 10 pim. in the ECHL this year, he might need to come up to the big leagues to get some work in.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Agreed. Tyrvainen brings an underrated edge to this team.

On another note - it always seems like Lander's on the front of this. Dude just likes being the center of attention!

Get it!? Because he's the center?!?

Sorry.

Lander definitely rubs opposing players the wrong way, that's the kind of guy that you want checking your other teams skilled players.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I also would like to see Tyrvainen back as he could bring some of that to our side. Does he have a timetable for his return at all?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I also would like to see Tyrvainen back as he could bring some of that to our side. Does he have a timetable for his return at all?

IIRC it was 6-8 weeks from the time of the injury. Pitlick hasn't been nearly as physical since his concussion, I wonder if he's 100% from it?

Mcnofool6110

Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Interestingly enough Abney only has 10 pim. in the ECHL this year, he might need to come up to the big leagues to get some work in.

Bring him in against Texas. Get 5. Almost assuredly.

Lander definitely rubs opposing players the wrong way, that's the kind of guy that you want checking your other teams skilled players.

Duly noted - that's good. Arcobello has that knack too - saw him drawing a very good penalty (is there any other kind) today, and that's not the first incidence.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bring him in against Texas. Get 5. Almost assuredly.

Duly noted - that's good. Arcobello has that knack too - saw him drawing a very good penalty (is there any other kind) today, and that's not the first incidence.

Arco is small but he plays hard and isn't afraid of using every but of his small frame to dish out hits. Lander it seems like is always chirping or getting chirped, opposing players don't like him very much. They probably like him the least of any player on our team not named Tyrvainen IMO.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Can that Peluso kid play as well? If so I would love to get him. Or someone who can fight the tough guys and still play hockey!

I won't keep on too much about him so I don't look too much like a fanboy of his. His fights are on youtube and he was arguably the top cop in the OHL for a couple of years running. He is a legit fighter that uses his reach a lot and looks to really unload on guys, it is really fun to watch if you like fights. Make no mistake though, while I think he can play the game, his high end is 3rd line and likely a permanent home on the 4th line. The thing is that someone like him is needed. SMac was great in a sense, but he was too nice-didn't lose it enough-and unfortunately sucks at playing the game. That makes him a liability when nobody will fight him. A legit super heavy that can hold his own well as at the very least a 4th liner is need to be most effective. A Peluso type can get his 8 to 10 minutes per game and will rarely cost his team if he can't find a partner.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I doubt he was named after Matt Cooke.

But seriously, do not open that Kane door. Do not fight E Kane. on that. Hall needs to work on his balance and fighting ... Maybe with Kane, aren't they friends? Sorta?

Iginla, I'd postulate, isn't that terrible at fighting.

Souray broke his hand on Iginla's face.

it was his gigantic forehead.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Googled it earlier he lost in a one sided bout after responding to multiple crosschecks for roussel.
Don't have the link handy on my phone

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Googled it earlier he lost in a one sided bout after responding to multiple crosschecks for roussel.
Don't have the link handy on my phone

That's pretty ******* discouraging. Why the **** is Hall having to fight goons who are crosschecking him. Glad Abney is in the ECHL. Nelson needs to get his priorities straight.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Smart, but d*ckish move by Roussell. Refuses to drop the gloves against Byers. 2m PP for the Stars.

What a chicken**** Roussell is, won't drop 'em with Byers.

Also...is every tough guy in our division a little girl when it comes to fighting someone who actually wants to fight? First Bagnall and now Roussell.

I think it's time we grab a star on another team And just drop him , seem to be weather it's in the ahl or the NHL we let are stars get targeted and do nothing .

Push till the buzzer. Props to Hartski and Paajarvi. And to the Texas corps!

Roussell, who, we'll add, smartly but d*ckishly refused to drop 'em with Byers, punches Lander in the face at the end of the game.

Call in the artillery.

Seriously...Rousell beaking Fedun and punching Lander in the face.

I think I misused the "tough guy" label when talking about him and Bagnall. They are just annoying pests who won't stand up for themselves.

When a bag of **** like this wont own up to this kind of garbage, you need to beat the **** out of their best player and tell him to thank Rousell for it. Totally worth any games missed.

And yet again I deeply miss MacIntyre.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Having a goon in the lineup wouldn't change anything.

I actually disagree completely. Goons are useless in the NHL because you cant afford to give them the ice time and you cant afford the penalties they would get for instigating a fight.

Lets be honest, in the AHL the Oilers dont care if OKC is winning nearly as much as they care about whether their prized young players are getting injured. So there's your penalty issue out the window. Plus the goon wont look quite as bad as he would in the NHL.

Id be estatic if OKC took on a goon who would seek retribution whatever the cost. Worked for the Oilers in the 80s, didnt it?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I actually disagree completely. Goons are useless in the NHL because you cant afford to give them the ice time and you cant afford the penalties they would get for instigating a fight.

Lets be honest, in the AHL the Oilers dont care if OKC is winning nearly as much as they care about whether their prized young players are getting injured. So there's your penalty issue out the window. Plus the goon wont look quite as bad as he would in the NHL.

Id be estatic if OKC took on a goon who would seek retribution whatever the cost. Worked for the Oilers in the 80s, didnt it?

I agree. You think Hall is going to be the one to have to fight some ***** AHL goon if Smac is there to just start punching Eakins face in?

Edit: I do like seeing Hall drop em from time to time, as long as he doesn't get hurt. I see him as more of a Doan/Iginla type leader than an Ovechkin type. He's the one that steps in for a teammate, not vice versa

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Having a goon in the lineup wouldn't change anything.

Yeah, let's just watch that garbage go down, duck our heads, and take it silently.

Other goons might decide that fighting and being cheap with Hall might not be worth it if their star player gets beat down because of their actions. You think after getting a beatdown solely because of the actions of their own goon a star player/prospect would be silent? I think they'd speak up mighty quick about people taking care of their own business and not having a skilled guy take on that burden.

Our guys have said they feel much better with a nuclear deterrent on the bench than without one. I'll take their words over the pacifists on this board.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree. You think Hall is going to be the one to have to fight some ***** AHL goon if Smac is there to just start punching Eakins face in?

Edit: I do like seeing Hall drop em from time to time, as long as he doesn't get hurt. I see him as more of a Doan/Iginla type leader than an Ovechkin type. He's the one that steps in for a teammate, not vice versa

Hall fought Dorsett with Smac on the team in 2010. It doesn't matter who is on the team. If Hall wants to fight, he will fight. As he said back then, he doesn't want others fighting his battles, he is who he is and it's a big part of the reason why he's such a fan favorite.
These guys are men now. They need to learn how to stick up fthemselves.

Smac being on the team, who is one of the more feared fighters in the league, didn't prevent other teams from taking liberties with the youngsters. Don't see why that will change now.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Hall fought Dorsett with Smac on the team in 2010. It doesn't matter who is on the team. If Hall wants to fight, he will fight. As he said back then, he doesn't want others fighting his battles, he is who he is and it's a big part of the reason why he's such a fan favorite.
These guys are men now. They need to learn how to stick up for themselves.

Difference is, this isn't the NHL. You need a goon or two in the AHL to deal with the guys trying to make a name for themselves by ending someones career

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Difference is, this isn't the NHL. You need a goon or two in the AHL to deal with the guys trying to make a name for themselves by ending someones career

I suppose but i see a lot of Oiler fans complaining about not having nuclear deterrents on the big club as well. I think that it's a waste of a roster spot.

I know that the AHL is more dangerous for skilled players but would Abney being on the team have prevented Hall from dropping the gloves?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->