GDT: Texas Stars @ OKC Barons, Friday 12/21/12 6PM MDT, End Of The World Edition

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One problem is that the crowd support is very poor. There is no one to boo them when they play bad to make them feel shame.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
One problem is that the crowd support is very poor. There is no one to boo them when they play bad to make them feel shame.

Not sure if it was because of the change in the camera location or what but it sounded a lot louder tonight. Our PP looks so lost out there right now IMO. Time for Nelson to wake up and bump Arcobello off that unit and play Paajarvi on the right side, not because he's been anything great of late, but he can at least more the puck a bit from there and it moves Hall back down into his office beside the net. Try and get Paajarvi some confidence as well because IMO he is getting dangerously close to washout territory IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What's average attendance for you guys? Pretty stacked team, yet the building always looks empty.

Not very good, I'd assume 2500-3000.

BTW-Good team game by your club, they are obviously on a roll of late but it's still a feather in your cap to shutout a team with the 2 leading scorers in the league on it.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The real problem here is that you take the talented players on the Barons and put them on the Oilers in an NHL season, and they're still going to be surrounded by a bunch of no talent ass clowns who are out of shape and couldn't generate offense to save their lives. The only difference between the AHL and the NHL is the useless players that make up most of the rest of the team will be older, richer and more self entitled in the NHL.

So yeah, the AHL is good practice for these guys, no doubt.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Not very good, I'd assume 2500-3000.

BTW-Good team game by your club, they are obviously on a roll of late but it's still a feather in your cap to shutout a team with the 2 leading scorers in the league on it.

Much appreciated. The guys are finally buying into the system after the terrible start we had to the season.

Looking forward to tomorrow's rematch. Expecting Campbell in goal, so the odds will probably shift in your favor. :laugh:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Robin Brownlee was crowing on Twitter earlier that if the NHL gets going in January then the Oilers should have a good shot at the playoffs with a 48 game season. Hah... hahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm not saying I agree with him, but you do realize that only about 4 or so Barons will be on the Oilers...right?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The real problem here is that you take the talented players on the Barons and put them on the Oilers in an NHL season, and they're still going to be surrounded by a bunch of no talent ass clowns who are out of shape and couldn't generate offense to save their lives. The only difference between the AHL and the NHL is the useless players that make up most of the rest of the team will be older, richer and more self entitled in the NHL.

So yeah, the AHL is good practice for these guys, no doubt.

Hemsky and Yak will add some much needed help as will RNH since he is away at the moment. That said I agree the supporting cast of vets is pretty bad in both places although Nick Schultz should be a calming influence on the club IMO.

Much appreciated. The guys are finally buying into the system after the terrible start we had to the season.

Looking forward to tomorrow's rematch. Expecting Campbell in goal, so the odds will probably shift in your favor. :laugh:

Morin looked like a solid playmaker out there, is he a prospect or a vet? To be honest I looked at the matchup and figured that it'd be a pretty easy game for us based on our meetings this season (maybe the Barons did too :sarcasm: ) but you guys took care of business.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
RNH played "like a girl" against Finland, and the rest of the club played like soggy turds in OKC.

RNH set to make a snappy reply to Eberle about not getting any points tonight.

Did I miss anything?

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not saying I agree with him, but you do realize that only about 4 or so Barons will be on the Oilers...right?
Are the support players on the "Oilers" all that much better? What's Tambellini been doing for the past four years besides accumulating first overall picks? There's a lot of junk and dead weight on the farm.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
What's average attendance for you guys? Pretty stacked team, yet the building always looks empty.
Why should we care about the attendance in Oklahoma City? Rexall Place in Edmonton is going to be packed once the NHL resumes... lockout... 30th place team, it doesn't matter.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Reported attendance tonight was 2,700. Presumably thats including the broadcast crews, techs, zamboni drivers, ice girls, mascots, and hot dog and beer vendors. Plus players, officials, and staff from both teams...

Tree falls in a forest type stuff.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe the problem lies with management and not the coaching?

The way that I see it is that there is plenty of blame to be spread around. Management (at the NHL and AHL level), scouting (Pitlick and Hamilton are non factors for the most part and Marincin has hit a rough patch, then you have the Swedes who are both underperforming expectations), coaching, the players themselves, etc.

RNH played "like a girl" against Finland, and the rest of the club played like soggy turds in OKC.

RNH set to make a snappy reply to Eberle about not getting any points tonight.

Did I miss anything?

This was definitely not one of Eberle's better games. RNH doesn't seem to chirp a whole lot via the media, he just goes out and gets the job done. OKC misses him in a big way IMO, Schultz I'm sure in particular is missing him because of the space that RNH creates for him on the PP and the pin point passes that he receives from RNH. I'd love to see Hall take over the leadership role in OKC and start calling out his teammates due to a lack of effort and passion. Someone needs to do it.

You mean the same management that drafted the likes of Plante, traded Penner for Teubert and had the foresight to sign Khabi?

To be fair Plante wasn't a Stu pick, but he has enough of his own picks that could be second guessed. Also Klefbom and Zharkov could still save the Penner trade for us.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reported attendance tonight was 2,700. Presumably thats including the broadcast crews, techs, zamboni drivers, ice girls, mascots, and hot dog and beer vendors. Plus players, officials, and staff from both teams...

If attendance doesn't pick up after the NCAA bowl games then IMO it's looking like AHL hockey in OKC might not be a good fit. That said seeing the team lay an egg like they did tonight after hearing about how great they're supposed to be is hardly conducive to creating a fanbase. Hall alone was worth the price of admission, but besides Hall it was a boring friggin' game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This was definitely not one of Eberle's better games. RNH doesn't seem to chirp a whole lot via the media, he just goes out and gets the job done. OKC misses him in a big way IMO, Schultz I'm sure in particular is missing him because of the space that RNH creates for him on the PP and the pin point passes that he receives from RNH. I'd love to see Hall take over the leadership role in OKC and start calling out his teammates due to a lack of effort and passion. Someone needs to do it.

Yeah, Just a joke about the Eberle tweet the other night that RNH played like a girl against Finland and only got 1 assist.

If attendance doesn't pick up after the NCAA bowl games then IMO it's looking like AHL hockey in OKC might not be a good fit. That said seeing the team lay an egg like they did tonight after hearing about how great they're supposed to be is hardly conducive to creating a fanbase. Hall alone was worth the price of admission, but besides Hall it was a boring friggin' game.

They had good attendance for the promotion last Saturday so its especially disappointing to go from one of the best attended games to the worst. Its Friday night people.
Sad thing is there were probably more of us watching grainy streamed video of the game then there were in the stands. Something really wrong with that.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan

This just made me laugh, thanks! haha :laugh:

Yeah there is a difference when you add in Petry, Smid, and Schultz on D as well as Yak and company up front. Not saying I agree with him either mind you. However, down in the AHL it's obvious that Hall, Ebs, Schultz, and RNH when he was there are all dominating the league and will be fine come an NHL season.

This is a supporting cast problem not a stars problem. Our stars are fine, they can't win every game on their own. I understand that our supporting cast isn't seen as much better up here and everyone's is going to get better. But I honestly think there are a lot of people really underestimating the AHL right now and the players that are going to make an impact right now are dominating.

Me too, not sure if Roy will be in net for us tomorrow. However, not to discount your starting goalie today as he looked strong but it wasn't all him that won the game it was definitely the team in front of him. You guys played very strong tonight and we had very few quality chances and on our biggest chances we missed the net :laugh: If we play like that tomorrow again it's not going to matter who is in net.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Are the support players on the "Oilers" all that much better? What's Tambellini been doing for the past four years besides accumulating first overall picks? There's a lot of junk and dead weight on the farm.

Yeah RNH, Yakupov, Hemsky, Petry, Whitney, Smyth, Smid, etc are better than the randoms playing on the Barons.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton

The Barons have to get some shots for a change. That hasn't been their forte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->